Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 02:30 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

Spicey-honey stay on deployment-- save yourself! the NAVY is a good place to be for at least 4 yrs -- but seriously seen some new deployments going on NOT expected ??? is there a call for reserves again? ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 03:25 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
There are some very sad comments here. He is a. OFFICER in the USN, and is required to do his reserve time. Bunch of left snowflakes melting here. Get a clue

Old 04-16-2017, 03:36 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Yeah. He's a Naval Reserve officer. Reminds me of the bumbling Ensign Parker on the old comedy show McHale's Navy.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:37 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,820 times
Considering the heat he takes daily, a couple of week in McMurdo could be refreshing.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:59 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Timing is perfect.

How long will his reserve duty last?
I don't know what the current duty is, but back in the day, a reservist could be called up for 2 years or more, depending on rank, the criticality of the current need for a specialty, and other stuff.

When I was in the Navy, I knew a young guy who was forced to leave a very profitable job where he was an up-and- comer to serve his active duty. He was called up to be active for 3 years, and it wrecked him; he began drinking and while I can't remember exactly what became of him, I recall it didn't turn out well.

But Spicer is a different deal. He may have been called into active duty as a refresher; reservists are being called for this frequently now, after the military learned in Iraq that the reserves grew rusty in their ability to do their jobs if they go too long without some active service regularly.

I'm sure he's a commissioned officer, so it's likely he will be active for 6 months to a year. That seems to be a reasonable time, as a lot of cruises are about that long. Much will depend on where he is assigned. If it is to sea duty, it may be shorter than if he's assigned shore duty.

The timing could be intentional. Given all the pressure he has been under, and with all the minor fusses he's kicked up,

Spicer might well be very happy to get some relief from the pressure cooker he's been in for months. A sea cruise is what attracts most sailors to the Navy, after all, instead of choosing another service. Some dependable routine out on the deep blue might be very welcome for him right now. For sure, it would be for me if I was in his shoes... I always loved going to sea.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:22 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yeah. He's a Naval Reserve officer. Reminds me of the bumbling Ensign Parker on the old comedy show McHale's Navy.
He is a CDR. Not an easy rank to attain. What are you? I bet you are real special ande have real awesome job title, education and well. Yeah.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:41 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Come on, everybody...

Ya can't knock a guy for serving. The article says he's been in the reserve for nearly 20 years.

We can enjoy ribbing him for his gaffes at the daily briefings all we want, and he deserves it. But it's obvious that if he's been in that long, he's committed.
Agreed. Not a big fan of Spicer, but he's been serving for a long time. He deserves credit for that regardless of your politics.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,522,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Come on, everybody...

Ya can't knock a guy for serving. The article says he's been in the reserve for nearly 20 years.

We can enjoy ribbing him for his gaffes at the daily briefings all we want, and he deserves it. But it's obvious that if he's been in that long, he's committed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
...and if he did get a waiver, you'd be complaining about that also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
There are some very sad comments here. He is a. OFFICER in the USN, and is required to do his reserve time. Bunch of left snowflakes melting here. Get a clue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Agreed. Not a big fan of Spicer, but he's been serving for a long time. He deserves credit for that regardless of your politics.
I agree with all of you.

The pouncing and negativity is a head shaker.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:23 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Sean Spicer reports to Pentagon for Navy Reserve duty | Fox News

Like he couldn't get a wavier?

More like 'What can we do to get rid of this guy for a while'.
Meh. Honesty could care less.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:28 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Wahhhhh, Yayyyyyy, Wahhhhh, Yayyyyyy.....

Hey, where's my cake, I wanna eat it too.

Get a grip, you're embarrassing yourselves. And us too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies