Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 07:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Teaching a child to remain seated at a restaurant is not holding the hand, it is teaching a child manners and etiquette.
Sorry your post is more nonsense. They know when to stay seated and when they do not have too. If you are holding the hand of a five year old that says they have not been well brought up. Actually my daughters were never hand held except in physically challenging crowd situations. they were directed by stink-eye. Worked very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 07:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry your post is more nonsense. They know when to stay seated and when they do not have too. If you are holding the hand of a five year old that says they have not been well brought up. Actually my daughters were never hand held except in physically challenging crowd situations. they were directed by stink-eye. Worked very well.
What are you talking about?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about?
Ahh your post indicates you know nothing about raising children. Ever have any?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:14 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Ahh your post indicates you know nothing about raising children. Ever have any?
Yes, I raised two happy, successful, gentlemen who have manners and consideration for others. Thanks for asking.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:16 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Poor thing, rest in peace little one.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, I raised two happy, successful, gentlemen who have manners and consideration for others. Thanks for asking.
And I have three personable and adult children who now have children who are approaching majority. And they grew up in airports, restaurants and hotels and all had a couple of hundred thousand miles before they were 18. And before they were 18 they could helm a good sized sailboat and order an apporiate meal in a Sushi bar or a Mexican Restaurant or an expensive dining establishment.

And if you could not control your children with a glance they were not well trained and should not have been in allowed out in public.

And just a couple of weeks ago the three of them took my wife and I and others out to a high end restaurant on the Las Vegas strip and did it well. Testimony to their upbringing.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
if your kid gets up to go to the bathroom, or look at the aquarium, a responsible parent would hold their hand and accompany them. Period.
Says you. Responsible does not equal right in your child's face 24/7.

Quote:
A five year old needs to have his parent with him at all times when out in public....and older kid, not so much, but toddlers, run, they love the open space, and when a wait person comes out with a tray of hot food, that spells disaster and burns....common sense.
No, he doesn't. Only in the last 20 years have we become so afraid of our own shadow that we think a FIVE YEAR OLD child can't be left alone ever. Again, ridiculous.

Quote:
the kid we're discussing was a 5 year old????? So, you'd allow a five year old to take a bus downtown? hang out at a foot ball game....walk to school alone?

it really angers me, when I go to a grocery store, or a mall and some parent is allowing their kid to run free....without supervision. Anyone can come along and pick them up to sell them into slave or sex labor.

The point was.....

ALL of those scenarios I mentioned - going to a football game, walking alone, taking the bus downtown - have news stories attached to them where terrible things happened to kids. That doesn't mean I'm going to have a meltdown and say my kids can never do these things. 99.99999% of the time its absolutely safe to do the above. In addition 99.9999999% of the time, its absolutely safe for a five year old to explore a restaurant - especially when its near closing time.

It really angers me that busy bodies think I should keep my kid under lock and key based on hyperdramatic fears - so much so that we've been raising generations of kids who can't do anything for themselves!

Old 04-21-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Sorry, that was me. I intended to include my name. And I say again, parenthood doesn't require perfection, which is what you accused us of thinking about our own parenting. But I'm quite sure you don't actually believe any of us considers ourselves to be perfect parents. That's just silly and deflecting from the actual topic.

You've brought up so many irrelevant issues, like kids riding bikes and helicopter parents. Can we simply focus on THIS situation, which is that a FIVE-year old wandered from the table? Do you truly believe that there is no problem whatsoever with a 5-year old wandering around a restaurant?

How many posters here with restaurant experience have talked about how dangerous that is? Fatal pinch point aside, they've pointed out the NUMEROUS problems children wandering in a restaurant can cause. But you still believe it is perfectly fine?

And to reiterate from an earlier post of mine,I do believe the restaurant contributed to this fatality, due to the poor design. But the first line of defense should always be the parent, enforcing reasonable safety precautions for the situation. In this case, that lack of enforcement cost this little boy his life.
They aren't irrelevant. They are other examples of the possibility of a child getting hurt because a parent allowed the child to do something that has been proven to hurt or kill other children.

Yes, I really believe it was okay for that five year old boy to get up and walk around to stretch his legs.

Yes, I believe its perfectly fine for a child to walk from the table to the bathroom, game machine, aquarium, window, etc

Old 04-21-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
My grand daughter is 13 years old and a beautiful girl...and there is no way I'd let her go to the bathroom by herself in a public place.....no way. I walk in with her, wait, and walk out with her.
That's messed up.

She is THIRTEEN. Five years away from being an adult. She needs to learn to be aware of her environment and how to function without you or someone else hovering over her. My kids have been going to the bathroom alone since they were about 8 years old.

Quote:
well, I guess that 5 year old boy learned a good lesson didn't he?

to allow a kid to wonder all over by themselves at such a young age, is very poor parenting....
I feel badly for the parents, I've been in that restaurant, and it isn't a place where you leave a child roam by themselves....it is constantly rotating....
plus it certainly doesn't qualify as a diner establishment....people don't go there to hear or see kids running around all over the place.

you can defend your position until the cows come home, but it doesn't excuse this kind of behavior. Kids should never run all over the place out in public, do what you want in your own home,but for the safety of the child and others, you keep the child close to you under supervision where you can see that child at all times.
:sigh:

And how many other millions of children every day live life and don't die? You too can defend your position til the cows come home, but it won't change my mind on thinking people are overly dramatic and entitled who think the boogeyman and Grim Reaper are waiting around every corner. Or that some people, if so bothered by the sounds and views of others in public, should do the world a favor and stay in their own little hovel and let the rest of us enjoy life.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Magritte25 That's messed up.

She is THIRTEEN. Five years away from being an adult. She needs to learn to be aware of her environment and how to function without you or someone else hovering over her. My kids have been going to the bathroom alone since they were about 8 years old.
I only see my grand daughter once a year, she is my son's only daughter, and there is no way I want anything to happen to her under my watch....

She is a great gal, independent and aware....but sometimes no matter how aware you are, things happen.

My son is a police officer, and very aware of all that bad that lurks out there. Perhaps if my son were not a police officer, I'd be more inclined to feel like you. There are a whole lot of nuts out there. No one is functioning for her or hovering over her...we're just playing it safe...

8 years old huh, your very lucky....

sometimes being aware is much better then living in a plastic bubble away from the rest of the world, thinking everything is safe and secure.

Quote:
:sigh:

And how many other millions of children every day live life and don't die? You too can defend your position til the cows come home, but it won't change my mind on thinking people are overly dramatic and entitled who think the boogeyman and Grim Reaper are waiting around every corner. Or that some people, if so bothered by the sounds and views of others in public, should do the world a favor and stay in their own little hovel and let the rest of us enjoy life.
and a sigh right back at cha...

You always exaggerate to argue your point of views, to a point of illogical conclusions in every one of your posts.......yes, millions of children live life every day, some are very lucky, like I was as a kid, as my mother should have never been a parent. And some kids, are unfortunately, not so lucky...I'm not trying to change your mind, quit honestly I don't care what you think and believe....no one said, the grim reaper is waiting at every corner, (another exaggerated sentence to prove your point) the intellectual outcome of things is, to try and stay vigilant, and aware of one's surroundings. Chances are, nothing will ever happen, but it is wise to try and prevent problems by being there.

If you were not the kind of parent that left your kids run all over the place, you wouldn't be arguing your points like this....but apparently you believe it's ok to allow them to run around stores and restaurants....

Mine stayed in his seat at all times....we would have never left him run around any restaurant, his hand was always in ours....or one of us, at five years old. Not just for our safety, but for the safety of the wait staff. I remember how the owners and wait staff would shake their heads when the parents of a child that was left run wild, leave...and how it was always said, "you should have to take a test to be a parent".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies