Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:14 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times

Advertisements

One would think that a Christian-owed establishment would be a natural fit on the grounds of a Catholic University. You know, kinda like peanut butter 'n jelly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 01:03 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
One would think that a Christian-owed establishment would be a natural fit on the grounds of a Catholic University. You know, kinda like peanut butter 'n jelly.
All Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic. The founder was a Southern Baptist, which is a very different beast than a Catholic.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:11 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
because Progressives are bigots.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Ok, semantically speaking yes, but the fact of that matter is there was a government sanctioned institution that afforded rights and protections, so how it's asking for them to.be same for everyone giving the government more power, talking in practical terms not memes.
They shouldn't have that power to begin with, and the power and scope of government should be systematically reduced.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:30 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm trying to understand this. It's a fast food joint that's known for it's chicken sandwiches and evidently has Conservative ownership. So why don't these students avoid patronizing the place if it bothers them?

Who knew a chicken sandwich could be so emotionally shattering?

Students fear new Chick-fil-A will create unsafe space on campus - Washington Times
I bet they go to Berkeley 😂😂 morons

Old 04-17-2017, 01:31 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
if the chik is a threaten place, how come i got to wait in line so long for a chicken sandwich

Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademark0013 View Post
This is about an anti-gay establishment having a presence and the gay community of that location feeling nervous.
But they're not coming to help "wash away the gay" or even spread scripture or anti-gay propoganda, they're coming to sell food, and nobody has to buy it if they don't want to.
Quote:
Second, think for a second: CEO of X company says he is against ______ (insert something about you).
I'm an atheist, so let's say CEO of X is against atheists. Does that work?
Quote:
Then that CEO decides to come to your area. It makes sense that you would feel the same way they do.
No, no it doesn't. Never in my life have I thought it was my purview to go telling a business or a group they can't do what they want to do just because I might not like what they say. If I don't like it I just don't go. If CEO of X says he's against atheists AND promises to prevent atheists from being welcome, or spread anti-atheist propaganda, or beat up atheists, then I *might* be more inclined to care. In the absence of something like that, I might decide to just stay away and not patronize X's branch. Or, I might decide I like X's product and can see past whatever their CEO said.
Quote:
Third, and shortened version:
It is a response of a group of people towards an establishment that doesn't support them.
Said establishment doesn't have to support them. Said establishment doesn't have to support me. I don't have to patronize said establishment, and that's about as far as my power should go.

I have absolutely nothing against whatever sexual preference people want to have. That's their business as sovereign individuals, not mine, and I've had many gay friends over the years.

It's when people of any group or sort try to use victimhood to get their way that I have a problem.
Quote:
Fourth and more personal than related: every time someone gets offended, please don't just ignore their concern and call them snowflakes. Everyone gets offended and that's fine.
It's debatable whether everyone gets offended. But I believe many would agree the bar for what constitutes offensive things is in the process of some significant reductions, as is the response people seem to have to being offended and what they think their place is. A lot of people now believe it's their right and responsibility to try to shut down, discredit, and/or block speech or expression or business actions.
Quote:
Just listen and show some empathy.
I read the facts as presented in the article and gave my opinion. I don't have access to talk with (listen to) any of these people individually. Empathy? I can't relate. Nobody I value in my life would react this way.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
But they're not coming to help "wash away the gay" or even spread scripture or anti-gay propoganda, they're coming to sell food, and nobody has to buy it if they don't want to.I'm an atheist, so let's say CEO of X is against atheists. Does that work?No, no it doesn't. Never in my life have I thought it was my purview to go telling a business or a group they can't do what they want to do just because I might not like what they say. If I don't like it I just don't go. If CEO of X says he's against atheists AND promises to prevent atheists from being welcome, or spread anti-atheist propaganda, or beat up atheists, then I *might* be more inclined to care. In the absence of something like that, I might decide to just stay away and not patronize X's branch. Or, I might decide I like X's product and can see past whatever their CEO said. Said establishment doesn't have to support them. Said establishment doesn't have to support me. I don't have to patronize said establishment, and that's about as far as my power should go.

I have absolutely nothing against whatever sexual preference people want to have. That's their business as sovereign individuals, not mine, and I've had many gay friends over the years.

It's when people of any group or sort try to use victimhood to get their way that I have a problem. It's debatable whether everyone gets offended. But I believe many would agree the bar for what constitutes offensive things is in the process of some significant reductions, as is the response people seem to have to being offended and what they think their place is. A lot of people now believe it's their right and responsibility to try to shut down, discredit, and/or block speech or expression or business actions.I read the facts as presented in the article and gave my opinion. I don't have access to talk with (listen to) any of these people individually. Empathy? I can't relate. Nobody I value in my life would react this way.
For the win!!!

Old 04-17-2017, 01:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You are speaking in memes.
I made a statement, from observing your arbitration

Old 04-17-2017, 02:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
If your gay and offended don't eat there. I think they are so upset simply because they KNOW that the place will be packed if it opens and they will have to face the reality that most Americans don't care about left causes, political correctness or who is offended. It will be like the. Election all over again. Of course these snowflakes can retreat to thier safe spaces and grab the coloring books to make them feel better.

Chic fil a has the best chicken around and the friendly service is the best in all of fast food. The entitled snowflakes have no chance of stopping chic fil a from spreading across the north. In ten years that chain will be the countries dominant chicken fast food place and you'll be able to get it nationwide, not just down here. Politics aside it really is a good chicken place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies