Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:53 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If they can launch from a sub, then many places in US could be targeted, but why would he do it?

Their leader seems very happy being the only important person in his country, and he knows that would come to an abrupt end if he used nukes against the US. The only scenario where he might use them, is if he is attacked first, and Trump might just deliver that to him.

He is playing the same game his father and grandfather played with the West. NK conducting the test today, was simply them flipping the finger to Trump.
I can address the submarine part.

Their ballistic submarine is a diesel electric that lacks the range to get close enough to the USA without refueling several times and would have to make the trip mostly on the surface. We would be tracking it the entire time and ready to destroy it should they detect that it is getting ready to fire a missile.

This kind of attack is not what the sub was designed to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 04:01 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Your navy in the Sea of Japan will shoot whatever they launch out of the sky, and then NK will get carpet bombed back to the Goryeo Dynasty. There will be no nuclear war with NK.
I tend to agree though it would not be too bad an idea to display some willingness to use nuclear weapons. The anti-nuclear hysteria was started by the left-wing since the only natural users of nuclear weapons are Western countries. The Western countries have no expansionist designs on others. The Communist world and to a lesser extent the Islamosphere has a different problem. They are economically unproductive and need more territory. The nuclear tripwire makes such a territorial grab less interesting.

Except for small, isolated countries such as NK or Japan (talking WW II) nuclear weapons are not useful as offensive weapons. They are great tripwires though. One of the reasons Israel has not been attacked since the 1973 war and the Soviet Union made no serious westward feints after the Berlin Wall debacle.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
When in NK 1952 I was shooting Howitzer shells at Chinese troops....doubt it will come about any time soon....they have too much to lose.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
It does worry me. This is another problem that is exclusively due to the failed Obama administration.
Actually it's the fault of Jimmah Carter, who was allowed by Bill Clinton to travel to NK to "negotiate," i.e. sell the U.S.down the river.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:42 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I tend to agree though it would not be too bad an idea to display some willingness to use nuclear weapons. The anti-nuclear hysteria was started by the left-wing since the only natural users of nuclear weapons are Western countries. The Western countries have no expansionist designs on others. The Communist world and to a lesser extent the Islamosphere has a different problem. They are economically unproductive and need more territory. The nuclear tripwire makes such a territorial grab less interesting.

Except for small, isolated countries such as NK or Japan (talking WW II) nuclear weapons are not useful as offensive weapons. They are great tripwires though. One of the reasons Israel has not been attacked since the 1973 war and the Soviet Union made no serious westward feints after the Berlin Wall debacle.
What would be to gain there?
It would be bluff anyways, at least towards NK, since I highly doubt we would nuke NK with South-korea being so close and an ally and the US having their own troops there.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:45 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Trump doesn't seem to concerned about NK, he has been playing golf all weekend.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:12 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
When in NK 1952 I was shooting Howitzer shells at Chinese troops....doubt it will come about any time soon....they have too much to lose.
Thank you for your service.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Hmm.....a lot of stuff I tend to disagree with.....

IKE was really the first anti-nuke POTUS - and my guess it was more due to understanding the power of the new fusion devices...as well as his bias against a BIG Military and Big Military Spending. Obviously, our foray into NK was "expansionist" as was our decade in Vietnam. I could list others. I don't think IKE was left wing but he did play a lot of golf.

The Ruskies got part of Europe by agreement (treaty) - due to their losing tens of millions dead. I don't think they have "expansionist" tendencies except within their sphere - just like we have.

Economically unproductive and therefore need more land? What is the sq. mileage of Silicon Valley and the approx. amount of economic activity produced as a result? The world is swimming in grain and food - it is being stored on old airport runways, etc. and sold for less than the cost of production.

So, what do they need this territory for? The entire world is gravitating toward mega-cities. Some of the most successful places in the world (Singapore, Hong Kong, Boston, Silicone Valley, etc.) are relatively small when it comes to land mass. It's easy to make enough in revenue to buy the excess grain at bargain prices.

Islam? Islam generally doesn't know what it is doing. It would be like grouping all Christians in the world and trying to determine how much war they want. Islam needs a reformation and, in some sense, it has one in relatively peaceful countries like Indonesia. The Crime rate there is MUCH less than it is here. I don't read stories of them bragging how they drop bombs on people and kill them.......

Maybe you should do a bit of studying and get back to us?

Old 04-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Frankly, I'm worried only because a portion of half-witted Americans voted an unintelligent, narcissistic con-man into the presidency. Now, he has the ability to get us all killed.

Congrats morons.
Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
We now have two egomaniacal leaders in a standoff. Trump is clearly in love with the whole idea of flexing America's military might in an open and provocative way. He's itching for a war, and he won't stop until he finds one. I don't think Trump has a clue about the consequences of his saber rattling. Nor does he care, it's all a game to him.
Are you saying we have no alternative but to sit there, powerless and impotent, because of the fear of "consequences"? I don't think our two uses of the nuclear bomb hurt us very much. If anything they helped us. If we carpet bomb NK other countries will have to fear and respect us. Is that so bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies