Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So how much does it cost to stock feminine products and is there an issue with stealing? Well its not really stealing if they are free is it.
Universities get huge discounts on these sorts of products. I've never been in a meeting about the free feminine products being stolen or used in excess of what was typically ordered.

However, I've been in NUMEROUS meetings about TP lol. You'd be surprised how many people talk about toilet paper theft, which is also "free" if you think about it in public restrooms.

With the toilet paper, students, staff, visitors, homeless people, etc., they go into ALL the bathrooms and will even take those huge TP rolls. I've been at places where we had to outfit all the public restrooms with TP locks, which costs a whole lot of money, because they were losing thousands of dollars worth of TP a month in theft.

A box of tampons, depending on the organization will run $2-$4 for a box of 30-50 of them (depending on the brand). They are cheap. Sanitary napkins are also very cheap. TP is cheap too but it gets used more and stolen everyday. Most men dont' even like looking at feminine products and so when those free products are in men's rooms, they don't get touched often. They are usually put there in case the one in the women's restroom runs out. And like I shared earlier, women do use men's rooms at times like I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I want a kitten!
I threw them in the garbage, sorry.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I threw them in the garbage, sorry.
You big meanie-head!

Old 04-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, I don't see how a woman can feel like a man when she has to use a tampon. Also, someone mentioned that women envied men because they can stand, I can stand and so can most women: The Complete Guide to Female Urination Devices - Backpacker Geesh, I don't envy men for any reason.

I don't think the taxpayers should be funding personal care items. What will it be next? And, as far as "bloody" chairs, etc., I have known high school girls with developmental disabilities functioning at about the 8 year old level of functioning and they could handle their periods, so.............

I do suppose the companies have been lobbying for this in order to increase product sales.
So do you think that the college shoulnd't provide toilet paper in toilets or paper towels or soap or blowers to wash/dry your hands?

Those are also "personal care items."

FWIW, many colleges/universities offer free feminine products mostly because everything else in the bathroom is free and those old machines we used to get napkins/tampons from were coin operated and everyone has cards now and it would cost a boatload of money to outfit those old machines to use cards for a quarter tampon that actually costs 1 or 2 cents for the institution.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:08 PM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So do you think that the college shoulnd't provide toilet paper in toilets or paper towels or soap or blowers to wash/dry your hands?

Those are also "personal care items."

FWIW, many colleges/universities offer free feminine products mostly because everything else in the bathroom is free and those old machines we used to get napkins/tampons from were coin operated and everyone has cards now and it would cost a boatload of money to outfit those old machines to use cards for a quarter tampon that actually costs 1 or 2 cents for the institution.
Again everyone poops and pees. No more than half use those personal care items products.

So now people aren't expected to carry change.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 PM

88,965 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
I went to exactly zero football games when I was in college, but I'm pretty sure that my tuition and fees helped pay for the stadium. I didn't complain about it, either.
Division I school? If so, that's too bad. They're LOADS of fun! My kids and I all went to different Division I schools, so we have a lot of fun with family rivalries going on during football, basketball, hockey, crew (rowing sculls), etc., seasons. Hubby went to a small LAC, so he feels left out of the revelry. Oh, well...

Old 04-18-2017, 01:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Many college kids don't need tampons.

It seems like this is trending as more universities and entire states are trying to pass legislation to provide free menstrual products in all government buildings, public schools and homeless shelters. These are all places where people may require diapers, both child and adult.

Sorry I dont go for the because the government spends X$ on this no one should care about spending X$ on this, and this, and this and this and so on.
If it'll keep people from making messes, I'm fine with stocking diapers in government buildings, schools, and homeless shelters.

I'm not fine with President Livin' Large and his weekend golf jaunts. A year of that could more than fund some maxi pads, baby diapers, and Depends.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:55 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Quote:
You big meanie-head!
Oh, they're fine! But if I can't have a kitten, neither can you! There's a big pile of tampons in there, so at least the kittens have something to play with. They like the strings. It's cute.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Again everyone poops and pees. No more than half use those personal care items products.

So now people aren't expected to carry change.
Half the population of the US also bleeds once a month...

If we can give TP to everyone and everyone steals it and it costs way more than tampons, it makes sense IMO to just offer the tampons for free and charge for toilet paper.

That would be more cost efficient. Also, charge for paper towels and water and make you pay 10 cents if you use a blower to dry your hands.

Not sure what the big deal is with providing free menstrual products. Do you want girls who don't have a quarter and whose period starts at school to bleed all over themselves in class?

ETA: I also share from the supply chain world that oftentimes organizations who buy a lot of TP can get other things for free, like feminine products. Volume, bulk purchasing comes with benefits and if the university buys enough TP oftentimes the same manufacturer will be asked to provide discounts that will pay for other items in the bathroom or severely discount them like paper towels and feminine products.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Oh, they're fine! But if I can't have a kitten, neither can you! There's a big pile of tampons in there, so at least the kittens have something to play with. They like the strings. It's cute.

OT, but that reminded me of my pet raccoon. I was having a shindig so I locked her in my bathroom. My friend used my bathroom and came out laughing her arse off. Finally she said, "is your coon on the rag?" I went in there an Carley had gotten an entire box of tampons, opened them and had them in her litter box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies