Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:05 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How were the products stocked at your school/work, a dispenser or in a basket?
Something I hadn't thought of was tampering and liability. Was that ever a concern or issue?
Just sitting in a basket. At work, we have pads, tampons, a couple of adult diapers, and standard panty liners. Never had an issue about tampering or liability to my knowledge.

Quote:
Someone state the cost is trivial but I havent yet found what the actual cost will be. In the UW article they stated eight buying new dispensers or renovating old ones.

I did read this program passed in NY for government buildings. Providing free products for the homeless alone was 2.5 million/year.
I just looked up their program. By government buildings, it mean public schools (300 or so), corrections facilities, homeless shelters, etc.

I actually applaud them for ensuring that even inmates were not subjected to unsanitary conditions where, apparently, the inmates had to keep and show their used pads (they were previously not allowed tampons at all) in order to be given more or permission to buy more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:05 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Quote:
OT, but that reminded me of my pet raccoon. I was having a shindig so I locked her in my bathroom. My friend used my bathroom and came out laughing her arse off. Finally she said, "is your coon on the rag?" I went in there an Carley had gotten an entire box of tampons, opened them and had them in her litter box.
You have a pet raccoon!? Holy crap, that's awesome.
I assume you let her keep the tampons and didn't try to use them after.
I had a pet squirrel but he pretty much left all the feminine hygiene products alone. He was only interested in nuts.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:07 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Adding physical contraceptives to the basket would seem to be a logical extension of a perfectly legitimate service.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:51 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Things sound nice in the land of thought and FLOW. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I guess I'm just old school. I see younger people without the ability to do and take care of things for themselves. Its nice to have everything provided for you in case you forget and it seems quite harmless but IMO it leads to dependency.

Sure we have all had those embarrassing situations but its called life and we learn to be better prepared.
I just wonder of all those college women who forget to carry a tampon how many ever forget to carry their phone.
Oh for effs sake, get over it. I'm 45 years old & guess what? There have been times when I either A. didn't stock enough tampon on my or B. didn't have a quarter handy to stick into the little slot. Good god, it happens, ok? Are you female? No? Then you don't know. And if you are a female & you're sticking your nose in the air smugly claiming this has never happened to you? Well, that's a lie. It's freakin' menstrual products, that's it, ok? It doesn't affect your life in any way unless you're so thin skinned that the very sight of one causes you to run screeching in pain. Tampons, people. Pads. Get over yourself, for real.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh for effs sake, get over it. I'm 45 years old & guess what? There have been times when I either A. didn't stock enough tampon on my or B. didn't have a quarter handy to stick into the little slot. Good god, it happens, ok? Are you female? No? Then you don't know. And if you are a female & you're sticking your nose in the air smugly claiming this has never happened to you? Well, that's a lie. It's freakin' menstrual products, that's it, ok? It doesn't affect your life in any way unless you're so thin skinned that the very sight of one causes you to run screeching in pain. Tampons, people. Pads. Get over yourself, for real.
I can't believe this thread has gone on for pages. WTF is wrong with people?

An unexpected period happens to most women at some time and for many women it happens often. Being able to grab a tampon in the restroom rather than have to miss class or risk bleeding through your clothes is hardly going to lead to lifelong dependency. It's a simple convenience that almost every woman has had a need for and would have appreciated at some point in their lives. Must people turn absolutely everything into a partison based ***** fest?

Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FWIW I'll add that I've worked in supply chain for organizations like colleges/universities and public schools and that TP is much more of an expense than the free sanitary napkins and tampons.

Most people don't regularly use the feminine products.

Everyone steals TP and so lots of places lock it up now a days.
In college most "steal" TP to wipe/blow their nose in when sick.

Maybe free kleenex should be provided, just incase someone gets the sniffles & to stop the "stealing" of the cheap no-name brand one-ply TP. That everyone uses, and several times a day.

Feminine hygiene products are personal & expensive...one size does not fit all needs. Like TP does. Everyone uses TP several times a day.

If in a pinch, you will use a feminine hygiene product that a friend or stranger will give you... or deal with what the public bathroom at the bar/restaurant/train station you are hanging out in offers through the tampon/pad dispenser.

And let's get real for a second: If your period comes on like gangbusters (& you aren't 12/13 years old and just figuring it out - but it only takes ONE time to get caught off-guard and never get caught off-guard again, unless you are a moron) and you have no idea when Aunt Flow might rear it's ugly head? You should never leave your house/dorm room without a tampon/pad in your possession.

Personal responsibility isn't that hard.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
In college most "steal" TP to wipe/blow their nose in when sick.

Maybe free kleenex should be provided, just incase someone gets the sniffles & to stop the "stealing" of the cheap no-name brand one-ply TP. That everyone uses, and several times a day.

Feminine hygiene products are personal & expensive...one size does not fit all needs. Like TP does. Everyone uses TP several times a day.

If in a pinch, you will use a feminine hygiene product that a friend or stranger will give you... or deal with what the public bathroom at the bar/restaurant/train station you are hanging out in offers through the tampon/pad dispenser.

And let's get real for a second: If your period comes on like gangbusters (& you aren't 12/13 years old and just figuring it out - but it only takes ONE time to get caught off-guard and never get caught off-guard again, unless you are a moron) and you have no idea when Aunt Flow might rear it's ugly head? You should never leave your house/dorm room without a tampon/pad in your possession.

Personal responsibility isn't that hard.
Read earlier posts. I work in supply chain and have purchased TP and feminine products. TP, due to being used more and needing to buy more of it is way more expensive than feminine products.

Colleges/universities can get pads and tampons for 1/2 cent to 2 cent per unit. Many times, due to them buying a lot of toilet paper and paper towels, suppliers will provide them with free feminine products as a perk because they are not used as often as TP and are cheap.

I am a woman and I've recently had my period start while on a business trip like two weeks ago and I had to fumble around for a quarter to get a pad from one of those machines. Luckily I took my "old" purse that has gangbusters of change in the bottom so had a quarter, but if I'd brought my new purse, I would have had to use TP, which if you are a lady, you know is not very absorbent and it would not have lasted through this meeting, which was out of town, so it also would not have lasted the ride back home in the same day.

Stuff happens.

And again, these products are super cheap. If you don't believe me, look them up on Alibaba. They have tampons for 1/2 cent to 1 cent if you buy a huge amount of them. Colleges/Universities are a part of cooperative purchasing consortia and they get very good pricing due to pooling their buying power with other universities in their states or associations they are a part of. If they have a medical college attached, they get even better discounts due to being able to use hospital consortia networks.

ETA: most people don't steal TP to wipe their nose lol. I can tell you have no experience with this. Places I've worked from schools to market rate apartment buildings to housing authorities and community centers, they have had EVERY ROLL of toilet paper that was in the bathroom stolen within a 2-4 hour period and especially over night. People steal it because they don't want to buy it at home. When I was in college, many of my classmates stole toilet paper from the bathrooms to use in our suites. We had to buy our own TP with a stuite style dorm and college students are rather poor and would rather not buy toilet paper so they steal it from building classrooms. Homeless people also steal a boatload of toilet paper. People who go to hospitals steal every freaking thing in the hospital room lol. Even the kleenex box (the whole box) and when they use the bathroom, they'll take all the rolls in there if they aren't locked down.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:51 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Just sitting in a basket. At work, we have pads, tampons, a couple of adult diapers, and standard panty liners. Never had an issue about tampering or liability to my knowledge.

I just looked up their program. By government buildings, it mean public schools (300 or so), corrections facilities, homeless shelters, etc.

I actually applaud them for ensuring that even inmates were not subjected to unsanitary conditions where, apparently, the inmates had to keep and show their used pads (they were previously not allowed tampons at all) in order to be given more or permission to buy more.
I can get behind inmates and the homeless. I can imagine it difficult to get these items on your own, but college students.

As far as private companies, seem weird to me but whatever, I'm able to keep my own supply at work (or was. post menopausal ). I have actually used them as a deterrent to keep the boss and nosy male co workers from snooping thru my desk. Like some of the male posters these guys were apparently afraid of tampons.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
You have a pet raccoon!? Holy crap, that's awesome.
I assume you let her keep the tampons and didn't try to use them after.
I had a pet squirrel but he pretty much left all the feminine hygiene products alone. He was only interested in nuts.
Had. She was awesome but kill by someone visiting my neighbor. They didn't know she was a pet.

LOL. I let her keep them. It was worth the laugh.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:59 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
UW implements free menstrual products pilot program

The University of Wisconsin Associated Students of Madison announced Wednesday they will implement a pilot program that provides free menstrual products in three buildings on campus starting by the end of April.

Helen C. White Hall, Sterling Hall and The Red Gym will be the first on-campus buildings to carry free products. Helen C. White and Sterling will have menstrual products carried in all women’s restrooms and The Red Gym will carry them in all women’s, men’s and gender-neutral restrooms.

Say what? Menstrual products available in the men's bathroom?

Morrison said they looked at what would be most cost efficient for the university.

Well - no, not really. Are you REALLY looking at cost effectiveness when you put menstrual products in the men's bathroom?

Some people have lost their minds...
The products in the men's bathrooms will hardly be used. If they're not being used, they won't cost any money. Why do people continue to get worked up about something as trivial as public restrooms? I get upset about much more important things, like wars and our poor educational system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies