Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
When I was in graduate school, in my department (computer science) 70% professors are from Asian countries.
Now tell me how universities have a conspiracy to hire cheap professors to replace Americans.
it's not a conspiracy if its legal. They hire foreigners because they can -- they're here, and they work for cheap. Back when I was in college my comp. sci professors were also asians, and every single one of them earned less than $100k/yr.

Higher ed. provides the easiest path to permanent u.s. residency, as universities are exempt from many visa restrictions (including the h-1b).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 03:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it's not a conspiracy if its legal. They hire foreigners because they can -- they're here, and they work for cheap. Back when I was in college my comp. sci professors were also asians, and every single one of them earned less than $100k/yr. Higher ed. provides the easiest path to permanent u.s. residency.
Public universities have pretty standard packages, and there is no way for them to hire cheap.
$100k/yr is very good for assistant professors, and even tenured ones, even now.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
which is not interchangable with "engineers" , his basis of comparison

there are tons of engineers who don't work in tech, and people who work in tech that aren't engineers.
He said H1B in tech, you said H1B.
Some H1B workers are biologists or even musicians, for example.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Public universities have pretty standard packages, and there is no way for them to hire cheap.
$100k/yr is very good for assistant professors, and even tenured ones, even now.
bull, public universities have flexibility in what types of people teach their courses. they have all sorts of options for hiring cheap.

Quote:
He said H1B in tech, you said H1B.
Some H1B workers are biologists or even musicians, for example.
yes and I just said that he just said that engineers were directly comparable with tech workers, which they aren't.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
These threads always end up devolving the same way once the resident hiring managers show up insisting that India is full of purple unicorns while they remain an extinct species in America.
nailed it.

"But we offered market wages and no Americans would take them, it must be a shortage!"

Old 04-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
bull, public universities have flexibility in what types of people teach their courses. they have all sorts of options for hiring cheap.
You did not even understand my words. Public universities publish the wages online and you can check.
Professors in the same program with the same rank always have very similar salaries, unless they have external funding (which is common for engineering).

Old 04-19-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
You did not even understand my words. Public universities publish the wages online and you can check.
No kidding, I just mentioned that I knew what my professors in college made. How do you think I knew that?

Quote:
Professors in the same program with the same rank always have very similar salaries
And if they aren't in the same program with the same rank, then they don't.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:

yes and I just said that he just said that engineers were directly comparable with tech workers, which they aren't.
No. This is what you wrote (pasted here):

Lies. Average H-1B salary is $74,387 / yr, which is substantially less than comparable American workers.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
No kidding, I just mentioned that I knew what my professors in college made. How do you think I knew that?

And if they aren't in the same program with the same rank, then they don't.
Of course they should not. Why would I compare a professor of computer science with a professor of English.
What's your point?

Old 04-19-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
No. This is what you wrote (pasted here):

Lies. Average H-1B salary is $74,387 / yr, which is substantially less than comparable American workers.
I said more than just that, you realize

Quote:
Of course they should not. Why would I compare a professor of computer science with a professor of English.
What's your point?
Who said you should compare a professor of computer science and a professor of english?

your posts are growing increasingly obtuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies