Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,898,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Bernie lost big in states with a large number of black voters. Bernie did not know how to pander to blacks.
Bernie didnt have the money to change the opinion of the "Clinton brand" in the black community. Bernie had 0.001% name recognition among this group prior to announcing his candidacy. Its basically an impossible task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

41,111 posts, read 25,576,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm a big Bernie supporter, and wasn't really a HRC supporter...but she didn't steal anything. He didn't get enough votes. I wish he had started his campaign earlier, but he didn't. Why is this revisionist nonsense still being pushed on Internet forums? I keep seeing it...
Bernie called himself a revolutionary. The Democrats had picked a winner all along and let Sanders's supporters enjoy their 15 minutes of "revolution. Two things...

1) He seemed afraid of standing up to the Clintons.
2) Or, more cynically, he was in the fix, too and went along with the charade to get his 15 minutes of fame.

And now he'll put out a book to buy a bigger home.

234 posts, read 121,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Great to see! Now if we could just get the GOP to destroy itself and allow a new nationalist populist brand of politician rise. One who has no interest in policing the world,bullying other nations etc and their sole focus is on America and its citizens.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,861,322 times
Quote:
And Hillary lost the most winable election in world history.

Yes, Hillary got more votes that Trump because of large urban centers like NY and California with a large coalition of so-called minorities and LGBTQIA people.
I'm not talking about the general election - the reasons for HRC loss are fairly well-understood. In the electoral college system, she didn't do well enough in swing states (often losing by very slim margins).

I'm speaking very specifically about the idea that the DNC candidacy was stolen from Bernie. No, it was not. He didn't get enough primary votes to win the DNC candidacy. It is that SIMPLE.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,898,955 times
Quote:
And Hillary lost the most winable election in world history.

Yes, Hillary got more votes that Trump because of large urban centers like NY and California with a large coalition of so-called minorities and LGBTQIA people.
This isnt about Hillary. I didnt even vote for her.

This is about Trumpsters who support the most divisive figure ever who campaigned on a platform of standing up to special interests and representing the people while as soon as he enters office he signs an internet spying bill with 6% popular support that lets your internet company sell your internet history to anyone they want without you knowing it. Thats called "draining the swamp". LOL. What a fraud.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,576,683 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about the general election - the reasons for HRC loss are fairly well-understood. In the electoral college system, she didn't do well enough in swing states (often losing by very slim margins).

I'm speaking very specifically about the idea that the DNC candidacy was stolen from Bernie. No, it was not. He didn't get enough primary votes to win the DNC candidacy. It is that SIMPLE.
The Democrats had picked a winner all along and let Sanders's supporters enjoy their 15 minutes of "revolution. Two things...

2) Or, more cynically, he was in the fix, too and went along with the charade to get his 15 minutes of fame.

And now he'll put out a book to buy a bigger home.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:05 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,887,871 times
Quote:
Michigan and Pennsylvania were not supposed to be swing states for her.

Quote:
We are well aware that the DNC cheated to push Hillary. It puts it's thumb on the scales by noting that Hillary already had a large number of super delegates locked up even before the first vote was cast.

Sanders would have won.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:05 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,861,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Bernie called himself a revolutionary. The Democrats had picked a winner all along and let Sanders's supporters enjoy their 15 minutes of "revolution. Two things...

How would he stand up to the Clintons after the DNC declared HRC the candidate (based on primary voting results!!)? What do you think he could have LEGITIMATELY done at that point? We live in a two-party system, for better or worse (I personally hate it, but it's the reality of our political system).

He could have gone Independent, and been another Jill Stein - but he was pragmatic about it, realizing that if he did so, he would split up the democratic voting base, and basically hand a win to Trump (he was probably right...if he had ran independently, neither candidate would have beaten a R candidate).

Listen: I would have loved to have supported Bernie. But he didn't win the candidacy because he didn't get the primary votes. That is how it went down. It's unfortunate. It doesn't make him a sell out that he took the loss in stride and decided to sit it out after losing.

Please stop parroting your revisionist history nonsense.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,835,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Senator Sanders certainly would have kept Trump far away from The Oval Office.

[url]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&u act=8&ved=0ahUKEwjcrIaimrbTAhXLxFQKHThHChQQFggkMAA &url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fnews %2Fpolitics%2Fonpolitics%2F2016%2F11%2F09%2Fbernie-sanders-donald-trump%2F93530352%2F&usg=AFQjCNGuLQMexQ2sjhZvCvkZPD pUK4tRzw[/url]
I'm not too sure about that, although you might be correct. Bernie was once asked the same question in an interview and he said talking about what might have been doesn't help anyone.

I've said it many times and I still believe that Comey cost Clinton the election and Jill Stein certainly didn't help. I mean, when you look at the EC and the popular vote, Trump was only slightly ahead in a handful of states. Just look at MI, PA & WI. Trump won those states by 0.2% (10,704) 0.7% (46,765) and 0.8% (22,177) Those 3 states alone gave him 46 EC votes. So if Clinton had done less than one point better in each state, she'd have won not only the popular vote, but the electoral vote as well. I also think she picked the wrong VP and needed someone with more appeal. So, yes, she made many mistakes, but I'm not so sure Bernie would have done much better. We'll never know.

In a way, except for the damage Trump is doing, waking up the Democrats was a good thing. They shrugged their shoulders and stayed home and now they're out protesting. I have to admit, when I see all the people marching, I shake my head and yell "you idiots, where were you on November 8?

Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,887,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm not too sure about that, although you might be correct. Bernie was once asked the same question in an interview and he said talking about what might have been doesn't help anyone.

I've said it many times and I still believe that Comey cost Clinton the election and Jill Stein certainly didn't help. I mean, when you look at the EC and the popular vote, Trump was only slightly ahead in a handful of states. Just look at MI, PA & WI. Trump won those states by 0.2% (10,704) 0.7% (46,765) and 0.8% (22,177) Those 3 states alone gave him 46 EC votes. So if Clinton had done less than one point better in each state, she'd have won not only the popular vote, but the electoral vote as well. I also think she picked the wrong VP and needed someone with more appeal. So, yes, she made many mistakes, but I'm not so sure Bernie would have done much better. We'll never know.

In a way, except for the damage Trump is doing, waking up the Democrats was a good thing. They shrugged their shoulders and stayed home and now they're out protesting. I have to admit, when I see all the people marching, I shake my head and yell "you idiots, where were you on November 8?
Doing the same thing. Like me they voted for Stein and will again if the choices are the same. Trump and Trump lite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies