Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:42 PM

3,241 posts, read 6,295,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I don't have cable, for one thing.
Cable is not needed. You can enjoy Ann's opinions on the 239,000 youtube videos out there!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ann+coulter%22

Last edited by capoeira; 04-23-2017 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 12:52 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510 Oakcity View Post
I wish people would realize most of those "Protestors" are anarchists who have no party affiliation and are just a bunch of morons there to cause problems. They don't even live in the area. Just like all the riots in Oakland, those were caused by suburban kids coming into Oakland to cause problems. They didn't care about the cause.
So it's just coincidence that they only protest rightwing speakers, and beat down conservatives? Alrighty then....

Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
They don't cancel all conservative speakers, as if it were a policy. They've cancelled two speakers who admit that they try to be prevocational. They cancelled them after the first one resulted not only in student protests, but in the infiltration of the protest by a violent anarchist group from the neighboring city, that caused mayhem. The university apparently was concerned about the same thing occurring with the currently invited speaker, and took steps to minimize the danger.

What your question really boils down to is: why are only conservative speakers met with student protest? And as others have pointed out, why bother to protest at all? Why not simply avoid the occasion, and attend the lectures one wants to attend?

Those are good questions.
I guess that's what happens when the other options to minimize danger, like keeping the protesters from becoming violent, arresting everyone with a weapon, and actually doing their jobs, is not an option.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:56 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So it's just coincidence that they only protest rightwing speakers, and beat down conservatives? Alrighty then....
They can have no party affiliation, and be extremists. In fact, it's because they're extremists that they don't affiliate with the major parties; none of the polit. parties in the US have an anarchy platform. Get it, now?

Old 04-24-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
They can have no party affiliation, and be extremists. In fact, it's because they're extremists that they don't affiliate with the major parties; none of the polit. parties in the US have an anarchy platform. Get it, now?
I'm not the one "not getting it" apparently. When the protesters ONLY target the right, and NEVER target the left, rational minds can make the assumption that they sympathize with the left.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one "not getting it" apparently. When the protesters ONLY target the right, and NEVER target the left, rational minds can make the assumption that they sympathize with the left.
Your post that I responded to was calling into question the fact that the violent protesters had no party affiliation. I was explaining why, that's all. An absence of party affiliation doesn't mean they're not radicals.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 PM

911 posts, read 590,559 times
Quote:
What they protest is fascist bigotry and racism. Which is only being promoted by the extreme right at this time. they dont protest other mainstream conservatives at all.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
What they protest is fascist bigotry and racism. Which is only being promoted by the extreme right at this time. they dont protest other mainstream conservatives at all.
That's true. Speakers presenting garden-variety conservative opinions don't get protested. It's the self-identified trolls getting off on making outrageously provocative statements that have generated protests. For example: conservative economists vs. say, Joseph Stieglitz. Who's going to bother to protest an economist? *YAWN* Or, say, a conservative former US ambassador. Those are the types of conservatives universities usually invite. Those speakers don't even register on most people's radar, other than those whose studies or interests are in that field.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:59 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
This entire debacle is so infuriating. I'm tired of Berkeley being the epicenter for this nonsense. I'm totally against Trump, and fully support protesting him and his s*#$ politics. But the chaotic displays over the last few months there have not been doing anything to help anyone.

And the Berkeley Republicans are starting to look like giant trolls - instigating things so they can go "seee!!!! I told you they're all lunatics!!!!!". And the guys that drive in from the Central Valley (or whereever) to counteract antifa (or whatever group) are terrible, too.

Gah....

I say let this stupid woman speak. So that people can see how awful her beliefs are. Fight it out via words, not fists or with flag poles. I'm glad the school seems to be letting this go forward.
Ann Coulter is anything but stupid.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
That's true. Speakers presenting garden-variety conservative opinions don't get protested. It's the self-identified trolls getting off on making outrageously provocative statements that have generated protests. For example: conservative economists vs. say, Joseph Stieglitz. Who's going to bother to protest an economist? *YAWN* Or, say, a conservative former US ambassador. Those are the types of conservatives universities usually invite. Those speakers don't even register on most people's radar, other than those whose studies or interests are in that field.
Not true.

Obama chides Rutgers students on Condi Rice - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies