Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 04:11 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Both are also indications that both systems are vulnerable to simple hacking and physical methods of being attacked. Our infrastructure is in pretty bad shape no matter how you cut it, and lots of bad actors are well aware of it.

The same could be said about our natural gas delivery system, refineries, city and rural water systems, telephone systems, cable systems, bridges, major transportation routes, etc. By the same token, every other nation also shares the exact same vulnerabilities. These things and more are also more likely to be damaged by tornadoes, hurricanes, ice storms, earthquakes and volcanoes and in each of those, the damage could be drastically more devastating and long lasting than terrorist attacks targeting specific services. We cannot afford to harden (protect) all of these systems from all potential harm, but we can and are protecting it as well as can be reasonably expected, and can get any portion of it back online in relatively short periods of time. A bad storm could leave people without for months. A terrorist attack wouldn't likely affect us more than a week in most cases.

We can live in constant fear of what might happen IF some bad people do bad things to harm us OR... we can trust that we have competent people, experts and professionals who know these systems and their possible vulnerabilities, as well as what steps to take in the event of a man-made or natural disaster, that if an event happens they will do everything to correct the situation as quickly as is possible while still remaining safe.

I think I should add that our nation is dotted with hundreds of thousands of local emergency preparedness centers which are linked to county, district, State and national EOCs (emergency operations centers). These EOCs practice crisis situations all the time. They have specialized communication, transportation, logistics and other crisis management systems in place.

I may be retired from what I did to help protect our portion of the electric grid, but I trust the people that are still there to do the job just as I did, which was also done by those before me.

Don't panic. They've got it covered.

Last edited by KS_Referee; 04-21-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 04:54 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Did illuminati has something to do with it?

Old 04-21-2017, 05:08 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I may be retired from what I did to help protect our portion of the electric grid, but I trust the people that are still there to do the job just as I did, which was also done by those before me.

Have the risks of a class X solar flare ala a Carrington event been minimized yet? Until then I will still worry about that low probability event.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:43 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
The same could be said about our natural gas delivery system, refineries, city and rural water systems, telephone systems, cable systems, bridges, major transportation routes, etc. By the same token, every other nation also shares the exact same vulnerabilities. These things and more are also more likely to be damaged by tornadoes, hurricanes, ice storms, earthquakes and volcanoes and in each of those, the damage could be drastically more devastating and long lasting than terrorist attacks targeting specific services. We cannot afford to harden (protect) all of these systems from all potential harm, but we can and are protecting it as well as can be reasonably expected, and can get any portion of it back online in relatively short periods of time. A bad storm could leave people without for months. A terrorist attack wouldn't likely affect us more than a week in most cases.

We can live in constant fear of what might happen IF some bad people do bad things to harm us OR... we can trust that we have competent people, experts and professionals who know these systems and their possible vulnerabilities, as well as what steps to take in the event of a man-made or natural disaster, that if an event happens they will do everything to correct the situation as quickly as is possible while still remaining safe.

I think I should add that our nation is dotted with hundreds of thousands of local emergency preparedness centers which are linked to county, district, State and national EOCs (emergency operations centers). These EOCs practice crisis situations all the time. They have specialized communication, transportation, logistics and other crisis management systems in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Did illuminati has something to do with it?
Actually they don't "have it covered" as many top military and security experts cite the top threat to the country is cyber attack of our critical infrastructure. Much of it is ancient and unprotected. Nobody is saying "live in fear" by any means and thats hardly my point for starting the thread. The point is that these are things we should be much more aware of and keeping an eye on.

Go ahead and google "vulnerability of electric grid" and its quite evident that many legitimate experts and other sources see it as a huge threat.

As for anyone ignorant enough to group the mythical illuminati into the same threat as N. Korea, China, or Russia I can only assume is a troll or severely misinformed and doesn't deserve a response.

Keep this in mind though, less than a week ago, North Korea had a missile launch that some experts claim exploded at launch because the US may have hacked their systems. Would it not be likely that they would retaliate in kind?

There are already proven attacks from other countries (government and individuals) on our banking systems, clearly infrastructure is vulnerable and being attacked too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/25/t...anks.html?_r=0

North Korea’s Rising Ambition Seen in Bid to Breach Global Banks
By PAUL MOZUR and CHOE SANG-HUNMARCH 25, 2017

Quote:
When hackers associated with North Korea tried to break into Polish banks late last year they left a trail of information about their apparent intentions to steal money from more than 100 organizations around the world, according to security researchers.

A list of internet protocol addresses, which was supplied by the security researchers and analyzed by The New York Times, showed that the hacking targets included institutions like the World Bank, the European Central Bank and big American companies including Bank of America.
What we know about the bank hacking ring - and who's behind it - Feb. 16, 2015
What we know about the bank hacking ring - and who's behind it
by Jose Pagliery @Jose_Pagliery
February 16, 2015: 5:20 PM ET

Quote:
The numbers are shocking: hundreds of millions of dollars were stolen from 100 banks in 30 countries. The exact amount is unknown at this point. On top of that, the banks could lose possibly hundreds of millions more in related costs. And it all went mostly unnoticed until sometime last year.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:07 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
Quote:
Actually they don't "have it covered" as many top military and security experts cite the top threat to the country is cyber attack of our critical infrastructure. Much of it is ancient and unprotected. Nobody is saying "live in fear" by any means and thats hardly my point for starting the thread. The point is that these are things we should be much more aware of and keeping an eye on.

Go ahead and google "vulnerability of electric grid" and its quite evident that many legitimate experts and other sources see it as a huge threat.

As for anyone ignorant enough to group the mythical illuminati into the same threat as N. Korea, China, or Russia I can only assume is a troll or severely misinformed and doesn't deserve a response.

Keep this in mind though, less than a week ago, North Korea had a missile launch that some experts claim exploded at launch because the US may have hacked their systems. Would it not be likely that they would retaliate in kind?

There are already proven attacks from other countries (government and individuals) on our banking systems, clearly infrastructure is vulnerable and being attacked too.

Not one of those military or top security experts have worked in an infrastructure field. They think they know something because they've watched a film on the Aurora generator project. The electric grid has eliminated much of this potential and each utility operator was compelled to identify its actual critical infrastructure that could cause a critical grid collapse. Every electric utility has taken major steps to control and mitigate, if not eliminate as much as is reasonably possible, cyber attacks to the grid. There are still other vulnerabilities but those cannot be completely removed. I already stated that the grid cannot be hardened to protect from all situations because we (Americans) simply cannot afford to eliminate all potential problems but the bulk of it is as well protected as is reasonable.

The truth is electric grid operators weren't the only ones told to asses their critical infrastructure and vulnerabilities, then to mitigate the risks. All critical infrastructure was instructed to go through the process. Trust me when I say that we were well into upgrading many of our critical systems even before the 2007 Aurora generator project was done.

Anyone who goes on TV today proclaiming we have risks isn't doing it because of antiquated communications and a lack of reasonable protections.

It's funny that you mentioned banks. Even with all their protections, banks are still robbed by robbers walking in and holding a gun. It doesn't take some fancy computer hack to show their risks. This is no different than the grid. The thing both have done is take reasonable steps to mitigate risk. No one in their right mind could ask more.

Milton Friedman once said cars COULD be safe, but the cost to make them safe would prevent most people from being able to afford them. Instead, auto manufacturers have taken steps to make sure cars are as safe as is reasonable.

Trust me when I say they've got it covered.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:11 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Both are also indications that both systems are vulnerable to simple hacking and physical methods of being attacked. Our infrastructure is in pretty bad shape no matter how you cut it, and lots of bad actors are well aware of it.
Yes, it is. Which is why I got excited about Trump's plans to improve infrastructure. Then again, I was hoping he was talking about things like transit lines, roads, and airports...and not subsidized pipelines for Canadian companies for a dying energy solution.

Prove me wrong, Mr. President. I'm 100% behind him if he's actually serious about making infrastructure improvements for all Americans, not just the oil industry.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 04-21-2017 at 07:44 PM..

Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Not one of those military or top security experts have worked in an infrastructure field. They think they know something because they've watched a film on the Aurora generator project. The electric grid has eliminated much of this potential and each utility operator was compelled to identify its actual critical infrastructure that could cause a critical grid collapse. Every electric utility has taken major steps to control and mitigate, if not eliminate as much as is reasonably possible, cyber attacks to the grid. There are still other vulnerabilities but those cannot be completely removed. I already stated that the grid cannot be hardened to protect from all situations because we (Americans) simply cannot afford to eliminate all potential problems but the bulk of it is as well protected as is reasonable.

The truth is electric grid operators weren't the only ones told to asses their critical infrastructure and vulnerabilities, then to mitigate the risks. All critical infrastructure was instructed to go through the process. Trust me when I say that we were well into upgrading many of our critical systems even before the 2007 Aurora generator project was done.

Anyone who goes on TV today proclaiming we have risks isn't doing it because of antiquated communications and a lack of reasonable protections.

It's funny that you mentioned banks. Even with all their protections, banks are still robbed by robbers walking in and holding a gun. It doesn't take some fancy computer hack to show their risks. This is no different than the grid. The thing both have done is take reasonable steps to mitigate risk. No one in their right mind could ask more.

Milton Friedman once said cars COULD be safe, but the cost to make them safe would prevent most people from being able to afford them. Instead, auto manufacturers have taken steps to make sure cars are as safe as is reasonable.

Trust me when I say they've got it covered.
These experts that you are selling short are the ones that watch and defend against the 100s of malicious attacks that they have to fend off every day.

Agree that it has to be reasonable, but its a much more significant risk than anything we faced with cars.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:53 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:

Don't worry. We are going to build a worthless wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies