Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:49 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I watched the video, and am a white guy. I actually agree with much of what was said there. That said, I hope that certain non-whites don't use their less than entirely equal shot as an excuse to make matters worse by making bad decisions. There is plenty of space to do very well regardless of skin color.

What the people wanted on the video was some acknowledgement from whites regarding some of these subtle biases, and I for one, will give that to them, because I believe many times it is true.

what points are right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 09:07 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times
I used my whiteness to push stop on my phone. I must be a racist.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:09 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
HUM, many whiny and utterly-butthurted people have very low levels of introspection....leading to the evil-Whitey-is-the-cause-of-all-my-problems phenomenon.
This.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:47 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
I watched the video, and am a white guy. I actually agree with much of what was said there. That said, I hope that certain non-whites don't use their less than entirely equal shot as an excuse to make matters worse by making bad decisions. There is plenty of space to do very well regardless of skin color.

What the people wanted on the video was some acknowledgement from whites regarding some of these subtle biases, and I for one, will give that to them, because I believe many times it is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcUHQYhPTE

Old 04-23-2017, 09:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I used my whiteness to push stop on my phone. I must be a racist.
I'm not white but apparently have white privilege.

On behalf of all minorities I absolve you of your racism.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
what points are right?
I second this question because all I saw was a bunch of nonsense.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:

That was what I thought, too. It's not about guilt, it's about awareness.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:17 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That was what I thought, too. It's not about guilt, it's about awareness.
It's about being racially demonized, and then taking a pathetic sort of pride in the fact that you are OK about it. I think the current word for that is being "cucked".

Old 04-24-2017, 03:45 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It's about being racially demonized, and then taking a pathetic sort of pride in the fact that you are OK about it. I think the current word for that is being "cucked".
You believe what you want. You're basically accusing me of seeking approval, and I assure you, if that's what I was doing, I could find easier ways of going about it.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:15 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
No, its about acknowledging the inequalities of the world.

How about we use a real world example.

Generic University has a legacy preference (a legacy is an individual who has a direct ancestor who attended the the university).

Because of its preference, a legacy student will be admitted to a certain percentage as long as they meet the minimum requirements for admission.

A lot of public universities have a noticeable legacy acceptance gap comparable to non legacy students. The Ivy's are the easiest to find info on as their look books have the information listed.

Last year, Harvard had an overall admissions rate of 5%, legacies were admitted at 30%. When you move to 2 person alumni households(primary legacy), that number shoots up to 90%

Lets use a more down to earth school like say UGA(Georgia), they had the same problem and changed their admissions after discovering they had a good chunk of both black and Hispanic students with better grades not be admitted because there just werent enough slots left.

Why does this matter, well because Georgia didnt desegregate until 1961.And did not have a sizable(5%) black enrollment until 1988, and that is true of most universities in the South. That means the first generation of black kids who could even be legacy students did not reach college age until 2006.

It puts black youth nation wide at a disadvantage for college admission. you may want to label this a guilt trip, but it is fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies