Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 01:20 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times

Advertisements

I said before. There are equal amount of women in biological sciences. It's only computer and mechanical stuff where there is less. Why is that a problem?

Is it also a problem there are less construction workers, sewage workers, street workers, soldiers, and firefighters than men as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 01:21 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
On NPR during some of their coverage of Earth Day a young girl said "Just because I am a girl why can't I become a scientist?"

I realize that there are sexist people, but do girls really think that in 2017 USA women "can't" become scientists? Yes, more men go into science, but women can and do go into science.

It seems like a lot of colleges and corporations want to offer them gender-based-scholarships or specifically hire women scientists.

It is not like we are one of the countries that actively excludes women legal access to college.

You Won't Believe How Many Countries Still Won't Allow Women The Right To Education

I worry that if this false notion that much of US society thinks "women can't become scientists" is widely perceived then it will in fact have negative impacts throughout society.
They don't know history period. Marie Curie was a female scientist back in the dark age.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:28 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Again what's your point. Exception is not the rule
I can see that proof of women contributing and doing things - often before or better than men- drives you bonkers too.

Good luck with that!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I can see that proof of women contributing and doing things - often before or better than men- drives you bonkers too.

Good luck with that!

Lol. So they did it better? That's the next liberal fantasy?

No. Then that shows a woman can hack it if she works hard. You have no excuse

Old 04-24-2017, 01:34 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
So what? You can't legislate what people think. If you can't take comments from other people maybe you're not cut out for it. Women are doing well. They get many good jobs? Why is it a problem if they don't make the exact same choices men do?
They don't have to make the same choices, just have the same opportunities to do so. They don't. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Accept that fact and you'll be helping out.

It is not a bad thing to want the "good ol' boys" club that is a part of STEM/other traditionally "manly" fields to ease up/go away. Sorry if that's too stressful of an idea for you, that things need to change.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Lol. So they did it better? That's the next liberal fantasy?

No. Then that shows a woman can hack it if she works hard. You have no excuse
To be fair dash, the person they are quoting didn't say "not many", he implied "none".

See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCT View Post
LOL if women are so capable then why don't they ever invent or innovate anything?
Which everyone knows is a load of horse puckey. It doesn't have to be "the rule", it doesn't matter if there are "exceptions". That's not what those posters are debating. They are debating the very idea presented that not a one of us, in the past or now, has "ever invent(ed) or (been) innovat(ive)".

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
They don't have to make the same choices, just have the same opportunities to do so. They don't. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Accept that fact and you'll be helping out.

It is not a bad thing to want the "good ol' boys" club that is a part of STEM/other traditionally "manly" fields to ease up/go away. Sorry if that's too stressful of an idea for you, that things need to change.
Yes, they do have the same opportunities. This myth was already debunked pages ago.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
To be fair dash, the person they are quoting didn't say "not many", he implied "none".

See below:

Which everyone knows is a load of horse puckey. It doesn't have to be "the rule", it doesn't matter if there are "exceptions". That's not what those posters are debating. They are debating the very idea presented that not a one of us, in the past or now, has "ever invent(ed) or (been) innovat(ive)".

Yes, they do have the same opportunities. This myth was already debunked pages ago.
Not along the way, for sure. They are put off of STEM and other tech sorts of fields because of stereotypes and more.

Just look at what happened in this thread, like you mentioned. Dude basically said women never innovate or invent. He also said no women are into computers and then demanded proof from a woman who said she had built one.

You really think there are no teachers, parents, etc, out there like that?

Old 04-24-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Not along the way, for sure. They are put off of STEM and other tech sorts of fields because of stereotypes and more.

Just look at what happened in this thread, like you mentioned. Dude basically said women never innovate or invent. He also said no women are into computers and then demanded proof from a woman who said she had built one.

You really think there are no teachers, parents, etc, out there like that?

Teachers are mostly female

Parents can raise their children how they want. Once you turn 18 you don't have to listen to them

Old 04-24-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Teachers are mostly female

Parents can raise their children how they want. Once you turn 18 you don't have to listen to them
Note how I said "teachers, parents" No gender was specified. Women help perpetuate this also. Plus, the STEM teachers tend to be mostly male because of the previous problems in acceptance.

Parents can do stuff, yeah. But if girls don't get support from somewhere, they are at a great disadvantage if they are waiting until 18+ to get those science and math classes in.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:24 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
interesting. I'm a woman and a scientist. I'm not terribly old, in my 30's and my mother definitely told me many times growing up that boys were better at math than girls, and that girls shouldn't be in charge of pretty much anything because they're too emotional. As a young child, I absolutely believed that. Many kids are still being discouraged by ignorant and (maybe?) well-meaning adults of influence in their lives. Luckily for me I'm stubborn and I enjoy proving my parents wrong.

Also, I can parallel park quite well though I'm not sure why that matters in this particular conversation.
Those handed down gender roles are slowly being changed. A couple of my son's friends got married. She's a medical doctor. He graduated wth a computer programming degree, but went back to school for a nursing degree. He was working in the medical records side of nursing, using his computer skills, but now he's basically a stay at home dad for a five year old daughter and a three year son. When they asked their daughter if she wanted to be a nurse when she grew up, she said. "No, boys are nurses, girls are doctors."

LOL

You go, girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies