Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Called a Landscaper for some spring mulching. The guy showing up at the door looked like a 20 something college student. It was hard to take him seriously at first, so I asked him if he has done this sort of work. He absolutely did not fit the profile of someone who has landscaper company. Gave me an estimate, which I accepted, all the while wondering does he have a crew, a truck? Will he even show up? Next day he arrives with three "kids" of his age and proceed to do the best quality mulching job we've ever had. Three American kids doing the job we are told "Americans won't do."

So... I guess you're a true patriot?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 06:56 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
lol, you just contradicted yourself. You claimed that one example does not make it true across the board and yet you gave one example yourself and expect it to be true across the board.

Young Mexican guy? Was he here illegally? If so, there was no excuse for hiring him. It's utter BS that Americans of every race won't do hard labor jobs. I see it everyday and it has been that way since this country's founding.
The biggest problem with illegals in the trades is that they do everything under the table. That is, they don't have business licenses, permits, pay all the taxes and employee costs for a business owner. They severely undercut the legal business owner/worker because of it.

Anyone who owns a trades business knows the problem with this and while a problem in any place, it is the worst in tax/license oppressive states where workman's comp is ridiculous and there are tons of fees, regulations, permits/licenses for a business owner.

This leaves most businesses with the choice of either going under the table themselves (which is very risky and could bring severe penalties and reputation loss to the owner) or suffocating under the weight of the government while the illegals take the business.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I hope by "American" the OP mean anyone who has the legal right to work in the United States (which should included permanent resident), not "a white person".

I think this whole illegal immigrants thing, half of the blame is on Americans themselves - it is Americans who choose to then them (illegal) jobs so that they are able to make a living in a country they shouldn't work, which encourages more illegal immigrants.

Everyone wants and needs a slave.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:59 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Called a Landscaper for some spring mulching. The guy showing up at the door looked like a 20 something college student. It was hard to take him seriously at first, so I asked him if he has done this sort of work. He absolutely did not fit the profile of someone who has landscaper company. Gave me an estimate, which I accepted, all the while wondering does he have a crew, a truck? Will he even show up? Next day he arrives with three "kids" of his age and proceed to do the best quality mulching job we've ever had. Three American kids doing the job we are told "Americans won't do."
So you're patting yourself on the back for hiring a white guy? Good for you BTW, people of all ethnicities are "American," and illegal immigrants come from many countries, not just Latin America.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Illegal aliens aren't "immigrants" and it is against the law to hire them. The reason that some greedy employers hire them is to increase their profits and that's the bottom line not that they can't find good American workers.

I got nothing against tourist.
It is when they set up a home and need to pay for it, where I have issue.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:02 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So you're patting yourself on the back for hiring a white guy? Good for you BTW, people of all ethnicities are "American."
Did you mean to quote a different post? Where you getting white out of that post?

Old 04-24-2017, 07:04 AM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The original post was condescending and disingenuous. Without migrant labor our economy would collapse, and the OP made a silly post that it no way addresses all the true jobs Americans are not doing. Now do you have a solution to the problem other than "Git em out n build that wall!" ?

Migrant labor? How cute! They are illegal aliens and breaking the law by being here and working here and their greedy employers are breaking the law also or doesn't that matter to you?

My, my how did this country survive without illegal aliens before they flooded our borders? I don't recall jobs not being done. It is because of illegals that our economy is collapsing you have it a** backwards. The only ones who benefit from them are those who hire them while the rest of us pick up the tab for the $113 billion a year they cost us along with loss jobs and reduced wages.

The wall needs to be built to keep them out and criminals and terrorists also unless you like living in a lawless society.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:04 AM

24,405 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Cool story, bro...but nearly all the landscapers and tree-cutters in my area are American. I wonder if those same kids would pick strawberries for 12 hours a day and minimum wage?
>>>> My sister works for a school district and has summers off. She worked for a fairly big grower harvesting different vegetables and things like melons. The grower couldn't get "illegals" for what he paid, they had all either taken construction jobs or easier better paying jobs( restaurants) or were getting by some other way. He was able to get some teenagers who did a half hearted job but he relied on older adults to actually do a decent job. My niece lives next door to a grower and cannery and I've seen the workers there. Many are migrants but there are just as many amish and locals.
I think the argument that "americans won't do those jobs" is BS. Illegals drive down wages and impoverish americans. Employers who hire illegals need to be sent to prison. And the argument" prices will go up if businesses won't hire illegals" is also a crock of horseradish. Businesses rake in extra profits and don't give anything back to the consumer.
Finally, this also pertains to running a business. If an employer says they can't afford to pay their employees minimum wage or they have to hire illegals, then they can't afford to be in business, period.
And if you can remember your history class, look at the sweat shops and factories of over a hundred years ago. They gave rise to unions to protect workers from terrible working conditions. Employers then relied on cheap immigrant labor, which in fact, was the major reason for immigration. Now today we're getting back to the same low paying jobs and employers benefitting from low wages. But don't think for a minute unions will come back, BOTH political parties are on the payroll of major companies like Amazon and Wal Mart and both parties need to keep americans impoverished and in need of assistance.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Fake id is such these days i doubt any one could tell the difference =
https://www.searchlock.com/?q=fake+a...geredir-google
Also that American looking landscaper could be Canadian illegal immigrant and most couldnt tell the difference from an American landscaper.
Seems these days any one who doesnt appear to be a white American is automatically viewed as an illegal immigrant.
So not true about anyone who doesn't appear to be white is automatically viewed as an illegal alien. Maybe in the northeast or midwest, certainly not in western states where there is a very large Hispanic population most of which are legal citizens or have green cards to work here legally.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
I hired someone. Whooped dee doo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies