Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 02:10 PM

983 posts, read 738,188 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54DltnHjwHQ

Old 04-26-2017, 02:13 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
I believe history should be where we can see it good or bad

Old 04-26-2017, 02:13 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Some causes deserve no honor. Monuments to the CSA, white supremacy, and Jim Crow do not deserve any honor. Put it in a museum, but only as a historical exhibit, showing where we went wrong. Some things need to come down. Monuments honoring Confederates need to come down, period. Destroying history? More like destroying monuments to causes that deserve no honor.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:16 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I believe history should be where we can see it good or bad
And I believe certain causes should never be honored. Yes, certain things are part of history. The Confederacy was a traitor. It deserves no honor. Period. Most of the monuments honoring Confederates were erected as a "go suck an egg" to the federal government, who believed them to disrupt what they felt was the proper racial hierarchy.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I agree with that. They belong in museums, not in prominent places of honor. We can use those relics in museums as a learning exhibit. However, we should not honor Confederates because of the cause it honors.

I am not surprised that a few elites could convince poor Whites to fight in a war that was never really their own interest. Many of the poor sought to become those elites.
I agree entirely, in my view the Confederates were basically traitors. We shouldn't be honoring traitors.

LBJ had a great quote that explains why so many folks from down South were willing to fight for a repulsive system:
Quote:
“I’ll tell you what’s at the bottom of it,” he said. “If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”
And LBJ was right on ....

The truth is, this whole thing with the Confederate flags down South only came about after the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s. Nobody flew the Confederate flag over the South Carolina Capitol until 1961 ... in direct response to *gasp* the Federal government having the audacity (how dare they!) to demand that all Americans be treated equally under the law regardless of their skin color. The monuments though tend to be older (primarily 1920s or older).

Old 04-26-2017, 03:35 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
FWIW, the inscription on the monument was modified to make it also a monument to the police and militia who fell fighting against the former Confederates. I think it would have been preferable to make a few modifications (new plaque over the racist inscription) to make it an inclusive memorial to them and the event than to take it down. I don't think the events on that day should be forgotten or ignored.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:34 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I agree entirely, in my view the Confederates were basically traitors. We shouldn't be honoring traitors.

LBJ had a great quote that explains why so many folks from down South were willing to fight for a repulsive system:
And LBJ was right on ....

The truth is, this whole thing with the Confederate flags down South only came about after the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s. Nobody flew the Confederate flag over the South Carolina Capitol until 1961 ... in direct response to *gasp* the Federal government having the audacity (how dare they!) to demand that all Americans be treated equally under the law regardless of their skin color. The monuments though tend to be older (primarily 1920s or older).
Not true.
1. The Mississippi state flag had the Confederate emblem for over 100 years
2. Southern military units flew the Confederate battle flag as symbols of regional pride unofficially in World War II
https://www.commondreams.org/sites/d...?itok=SkvB2sU7
http://www.wnd.com/images/WW2Confederateflag.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...3a57fec719.jpg

Old 04-26-2017, 04:38 PM

626 posts, read 380,971 times
The flag has been a symbol of Southern Pride since the war. Unfortunately, racists also hijacked the use of it.

Flying the flag does not equate being a racist.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:55 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
The flag has been a symbol of Southern Pride since the war. Unfortunately, racists also hijacked the use of it.

Flying the flag does not equate being a racist.
Yes it does.

"As a people we are fighting to maintain the heavenly ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race, ..." William Thompson, the guy who designed the Confederate flag.

"Southern pride" in what? Slavery? Traitors?

Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The relics of the Civil War belong in museums for those with a sense of historical curiosity. It's always been amazing to me that a small elite group of wealthy plantation owners could convince hundreds of thousands of dirt poor whites who never owned slaves to fight and die in a war that was never in their own self interest.
Some things never change; now instead of slaves, it's oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies