Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 10:24 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookSearcher View Post
Still beating this dead horse huh? Who knew it takes 21 pages to make yourselves feel better about destroying history...
The former Soviet republics moved the Stalin monuments out of the town squares. I guess that counts as "destroying history" as well?

Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
(find one Republican deed based on racism)
Republican history in Chicago is full of race baiting in my lifetime. All of the dog whistles. I remember it very well.

Nixon's (and later Reagan's) southern strategy was built on racial politics.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Anyone who defends the Confederacy shows that they're not loyal to the United States of America, but rather some version of it they have in their head. You can't be "America First" and pro-secession at the same time.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
This is absolutely completely false. You are getting that information from an extreme bias source with a serious agenda. If you read that type of propaganda it will undeniably poison your viewpoint. There's plenty of victimhood being passed around today from all sides.

Also, keep in mind that 55% of the black american population reside in the south. That's 20+ million people. Do their feelings count?
You have no idea where I am getting my info. And, yes, their feelings count but everything with them is so extreme, seems to be a smash and burn mentality with some.....to what end ?

I have to leave my computer but I will look up some statistics when I return tomorrow.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:50 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Republican history in Chicago is full of race baiting in my lifetime. All of the dog whistles. I remember it very well.

Nixon's (and later Reagan's) southern strategy was built on racial politics.
I have little idea of knowing what Republican politics would be like in Chicago. However, I do agree that Nixon did try to appeal to racists in the South. The Southern Strategy was a political tactic used to gain support in the South. What was the tactic? Appeal to people who hated African-Americans.

With this tactic, however, you couldn't say "we hate Blacks". You'll scare away the moderates and even some independents. What you do is bring up things like busing, states' rights,etc. You can't say the "n" word.

Political consultant/Republican strategist Lee Atwater had this to say about the Southern Strategy:

Quote:
As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [Reagan] doesn't have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 . . . and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster...

You start out in 1954 by saying, (the n word). By 1968 you can't say the"n" word — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than th e "n" word.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Anyone who defends the Confederacy shows that they're not loyal to the United States of America, but rather some version of it they have in their head. You can't be "America First" and pro-secession at the same time.
Here is an irony of this that no one has mentioned. The South has the highest proportion of those who serve in our military.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
All I'm saying is how can you forgive them so quickly? People are not willing to forgive the Confederates, many of whom believed they were fighting for things other than slavery. By all accounts they were going to free the slaves regardless of the war. They were fighting to live free and they felt they had a separate culture from the north.

If you are this forgiving of the Democrats who were 100% complicit in every terrible thing that has been done to black folks (find one Republican deed based on racism) why not allow the southern cities to keep their memorials of great soldiers who lived and died for them?

Can't you see just how ridiculous all this is?
How? Because the Democrats did more for African-Americans than Confederates have ever done. The Confederates' main objective was to keep and maintain slavery. That main objective has never changed. The Democratic Party, however, has changed. Comparing the two is dishonest. The Confederate cause has never changed.

I posted a Republican deed based on racism. Lily White Movement. If you didn't read it, here it is again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily-white_movement

Southern strategy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Quote by Kevin Phillips, Nixon's political strategist.

Quote:
From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that...but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.
Explain how Republican candidate Barry Goldwater won Louisiana, Mississippi,Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina in 1964. It had to do with his opposition to Civil Rights.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I welcome their removal. Put'em in a museum.
Take them down. Put them in museums. I agree. They belong in museums as an exhibit of where the South made a grave mistake. It doesn't belong in public squares in a place of honor.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:33 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Take them down. Put them in museums. I agree. They belong in museums as an exhibit of where the South made a grave mistake. It doesn't belong in public squares in a place of honor.
Absolutely. Traitors do not deserve to be honored in our public squares. Show me one other country in the world who erects statues to the traitors who tried to rip their country apart. It's asinine that this even needs to be said.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:43 PM

234 posts, read 122,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Don't worry, the history of the treason of the South will continue to be told. But the statutes of the traitors themselves will be removed, as they should be.
You are an extremist therefore opinion doesn't matter. Oh and to be a TRAITOR you would have to have loyalty to the government to begin with. The Confederate soldiers were loyal to THEIR government....get it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The former Soviet republics moved the Stalin monuments out of the town squares. I guess that counts as "destroying history" as well?
Yes it is. Guess the leftists here don't comprehend those that IGNORE history are doomed to repeat it...I mean I am all for it repeating its self...maybe this time those of us with arms will defeat the marxist leftist forces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Amusing since the USA as a country came to be BECAUSE of secession.....LOL....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies