Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:14 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Many of the older Boomers were hippies. You're forgetting how big that generation is. The younger ones like myself, thought they were freaks.
We weren't freaks, we were yuppies (and maybe some left over yippies).

Old 04-25-2017, 06:15 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Many of the older Boomers were hippies. You're forgetting how big that generation is. The younger ones like myself, thought they were freaks.
In many ways it was the "open sexualization within society" is what the era brought out in the open. Once that was done, they became more open in mind to try things beyond social conventions of the past.

Today, the younger generation expands upon what came from it all. Some of the young are trying to recapture some of the ethic's of the past, because things moved to a point to man seeking ways to circumvent social and civic ethics, in the social sexual sphere and the younger generations in some respects are learning the value necessity of ethics.

But, they also push the boundaries of ethics in other areas of society and life when it comes to technology and life systems.

Every Generation grows to want to fix something, and expand something else, and that mixture is as many elements as there is people, and developing consensus is the challenges that confound the masses.

Today, we have an added element - Technology has advanced until now people don't know what to believe.
Once things like TV shows what camera imagery captured people doing things, Now, computer simulation can make imagery and merge it until reality is distorted in the mixture of fantasy and fiction with reality, until one turns on the TV and see things, that don't exist in the real tangible world.

Music was once made by people 'actually playing instruments, but today, "sound samples and digital electronics can make music without much human input.

In all of it... God created a world, where such things are within the capabilities of man usage of his awareness and knowledge of things to manipulate things in such ways to do such things. Sadly, there is the mentality of abuse, greed and avarice, vanity, envy and many of such things, that can and often does take such knowledge and make it also destructive to mankind.

We have no idea what kind of things "gene play" in laboratories have created, because many are "closed door systems", that do what they want, behind doors with locks.

We don't even know the extent that man has developed with technology, because that too has labs that are behind doors with locks.

The world is of many many many things............ the last thing we need to be tripping on, is the color of our skin ..... and creating havoc about it.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 04-25-2017 at 07:34 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 06:17 AM

428 posts, read 415,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Are you kidding me? How soon they forget. The great feminists (and it's the younger generation that has made "feminist" a bad word) were boomers. It was boomers who marched for women's and minority rights, were arrested, changed ugly racial laws in the South.

⇧⇧⇧⇧

This!

Old 04-25-2017, 06:23 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
Once all of the boomers and xers finally kick the bucket, will we finally have progress? Such as decriminalizing drugs, true equality for women and minorities, laws that are based off of reason and facts rather than prejudice and hubris etc.s?
Women already have unequal rights (more than men), it is men that need equal rights.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:26 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Boomers invented feminism, fought for civil rights and we are mostly still liberal. Lose us and you're left with right wingers.

We're usually not in favor of drugs because of what they did to our generation. Too many lives lost. People in their 60s, 70s, 80s...you'd better hope they live a long time, your former hippies and liberals who protested and marched in the streets for what we believed in. You'd better hope we're still around. We vote. And we vote Democrat.
I just wanted to add to this by noting that many of the liberals in the 1960s and 1970s were NOT Baby Boomers (roughly 1946-1963). We tend to focus on Baby Boomers but we ignore people from the Silent Generation and the GI Generations from 1945 and earlier. Consider just some of them:

Martin Luther King - born 1929
John F Kennedy - born 1917
Robert Kennedy - born 1925
Ralph Nader - born 1934
Jesse Jackson - born 1941
Andrew Young - born 1932
Rosa Parks born 1913
John McConnell - born 1915

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M...peace_activist)

Old 04-25-2017, 06:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
The left extremists get attacked as being snowflakes an awful lot but the tradition of fighting for equal rights, fair pay, abolishing child labor, vacation time, sick pay, National Parks, etc.....it was some radical leftist who created a movement.

Dam those liberals -- we'd still be working six days a week with no benefits...just not right.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The left extremists get attacked as being snowflakes an awful lot but the tradition of fighting for equal rights, fair pay, abolishing child labor, vacation time, sick pay, National Parks, etc.....it was some radical leftist who created a movement.

Dam those liberals -- we'd still be working six days a week with no benefits...just not right.
Hope you were being sarcastic as the generations that followed us had most of that undone by the early 2000's.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:43 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Once all of the boomers and xers finally kick the bucket, will we finally have progress? Such as decriminalizing drugs, true equality for women and minorities, laws that are based off of reason and facts rather than prejudice and hubris etc.s?

My God! What can you do but shake your head at such ignorance. ^^^^^^^^ And we wonder why this country is in the condition it is in today.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Are you kidding me? How soon they forget. The great feminists (and it's the younger generation that has made "feminist" a bad word) were boomers. It was boomers who marched for women's and minority rights, were arrested, changed ugly racial laws in the South.
Amen Sister!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Drug decriminalization, yes.. but as far as equality goes, I find it hard to argue that women and minorities (who are legal citizens) don't have equal rights or possibilities... if anything it's single white males who are the most discriminated class in society. Where I work women are given the benefit of the doubt for things men would get in trouble for... and minorities can get away with things Caucasians cant, such as missed work, time off in "rehab" among other things.

If a minority can't get ahead, more likely it's due to their own personality flaws, and not society beating them down. Right now the left almost encourages minorities to "play the victim" to try to get "handouts" rather than to improve themselves and get ahead through plain old hard work.

I suggest turning off the TV which gives the impression that there is oppression of all these minorities which really isn't happening aside from a few isolated cases of non citizens being kept out of the country, which is hardly what I would call large scale oppression.

I don't know about the "south" but here in South Dakota minority races are all treated well and welcomed, for the most part, at least in my community. Don't commit crimes and you'll be fine. Assimilate and speak proper english, even more so. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation, to speak the main language of the country you live in.

You are correct though, that the least tolerant people at my workplace are the oldest remaining worker population. They've been largely replaced by millennials at this point.
Let me see if I understand - "If a minority can't get ahead most likely it's due to their own personality flaws" while if a white man can't get ahead it's because ?? women and minorities are holding him down.

Give me a BREAK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Today's boomers and Xers were yesterday's hippies and progressives, so don't think for one second the generations behind you won't be eager to push you off a cliff too.
Seems to be the way it goes.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Remember the aging boomers of today were the hippies of yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies