Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:18 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
You dont know what a real right wing party is because you have never been out of the US where we have a two party system. The issues Donald trump ran on anti immigration, protectionism and against job outsourcing, border security,America first etc. are not mainstream republican and conservative issues.

There are right wing,nationalist,protectionist and populist parties gaining ground all over Europe and the world,the national front in France, FPO in Austria,AFD in germany, lega nord and five star in italy, PVV in Holland, Jobbik in Hungary and on and on

In america we have a two party system and all we have on the right are the republicans
No, the issue is your use of the word "real." Who decides that; you?

This is why I don't like terms like left and right. They mean next to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Perhaps. But I don't think the pragmatic trade school phenomenon is the only dynamic at work here. I think the Christakis incident at Yale last year (satirized by The Simpsons recently) is a good example of the other trend.
Almost certainly not the only dynamic, this is true. There has been a decline in academia and I say this not from the standpoint of someone who is anti-intellectual. We need a strong academic climate in which free thought and debate are encouraged. I see the "you go to college to get a job" narrative as being among the main things holding academia back.

Quote:
I received a classical liberal education at one of the few schools that still truly embraces that. Exams were all by longform essay, and moving to the next year entailed a rigorous oral panel exam in front of four professors. Next to that, my time at state universities (where Scantron tests were the rule) was like junior high.
That's good. You got what you deserved. The age of the scantron has killed intellectual thought. It doesn't teach a person to think critically or for themselves. Wherever you received your classical education; state schools need to look there for direction.

Quote:
Agreed. I don't like to talk about it in terms of Democrats / Republicans, liberals / conservatives, blue / red, because those are divisive terms and put people on the defensive. It's simply illiberal.
I view politics as something I do, not something I do for an ideology. It's why I don't like when someone asks if I'm a "something-ist." I'd much rather you ask my about policy or principles directly. I can speak for myself far better than the label "leftist" ever could.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
The liberal facist cretins have once again stifled free speech. Welcome to the new America where common decency has been left on the dust.
What exactly is a liberal fascist (understanding the most fascists in history despised liberalism, this hatred really being the inspiration for their fascist beliefs)?

Old 04-26-2017, 02:26 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
coulter just wants attention--

Old 04-26-2017, 02:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Free speech and the expression of "ideas" are scary only to those who insist that you toe the line. If your thoughts and words are being suppressed today, your freedom and personal liberty is not far behind.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:29 PM

16,548 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Good post.

Academia is basically a huge safe space for leftists, but ann coulter didnt cancel the speech, her sponsors, the sissies in the young republicans and yaf pulled out and didnt support her. Basically leftists whine and cry and threaten riots over differences of opinion and dissent and they get their way.

Mainstream republicans and conservatives are pathetic, the sooner the alt right/far right and a real right wing party replaces republicans the better

For starters you get a for adopting leftist terms to describe anything right of center. Sure the leftists will try to convince the ignorant that the (R's) have gone hard right in recent times, when nothing could be further from the truth.
All one needs to do is look at how far left the (D's) have gone since Bill Clinton, to see why their perspective is so warped and inaccurate.
But I digress.

Conservatives generally ar not your protest types, and certainly not ones who will engage in violence and breaking the law to achieve a goal. Most are law & order types who conform to acceptable social and cultural behavior. So that is hard to compete with liberals who believe that the end justify the means, even if it involves terroristic type of activities to do so.

Thus the Republican party will never be ruled by the fringe hard core willing to use thuggery to achieve their goals. They would then be no better than the Democrats who have allowed the hard core liberals to co-opt the party, by letting the inmates run the asylum.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:12 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If your thoughts and words are being suppressed today, your freedom and personal liberty is not far behind.
Consider what Facebook and Elon Musk are working on. Digital Telepathy. The reading and projection of thoughts. Quantizing human thought into 1s and 0s. Digital Data.

Yes, we're likely at least a couple of decades from this technology being commonplace. But is it that hard to imagine the NSA "collecting" thoughts? Is it that hard to imagine a future where your thoughts must be in line with the common narrative?

Old 04-26-2017, 03:24 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
But that makes me want to hear her opinions and explanations even more. Maybe there's a logical reason for some of her beliefs that I didn't realize or take into account from my point of view. I've read a few of her books, and though she's clearly not a charm school graduate, she does get ya thinkin, and won me over on a few issues.

Why do people want to impose censorship on themselves?
I like these comments. I personally enjoy challenging my own views. If the views I hold are so fragile that I can't defend them from alternative points of view, then why do I hold to them?

Ideas are not threats. It's still me in here, no matter what I hear. New information [factual information, that is] and new views can only help me refine my opinions.

This is why clinging to the package deal of some political party or some ideology is so anti-intellectual. It crowds out critical thought and the ability to reconsider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I wholly support free speech. That said, I don't listen to those who spout hate and negativity. There is no merit to it.
That is also a way to go. What I would maintain is that it matters not what the free speech is or whom the speaker of it is. What matters is that it enjoys equal protection and that it is free.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
It's how you know you're a dinosaur.

I'm only 42 but when I was in college, when there was somebody scheduled to speak who we didn't want to hear, we...... didn't go.

Or, sometimes, if there was someone scheduled to speak who we didn't agree with we...... might have gone to hear their point of view so as to challenge our own assumptions and the strength of our own convictions and maybe, however briefly, see things from a different perspective, start a dialogue, and get exposed to a diverse range of thoughts.

I know, all that is crazy talk here in 2017...
ever see a liberal dinosaur? here's one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm a solid liberal, and I disagree with her on almost everything.

But that makes me want to hear her opinions and explanations even more. Maybe there's a logical reason for some of her beliefs that I didn't realize or take into account from my point of view. I've read a few of her books, and though she's clearly not a charm school graduate, she does get ya thinkin, and won me over on a few issues.

Why do people want to impose censorship on themselves?

Old 04-26-2017, 04:21 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I think you are going a bit overboard. The college has it's own security at that.
They have sworn police officers with jurisdiction throughout the state of California. That they are not doing their job protecting the people of California when 40 years ago the state of Illinois protected Nazis is shameful. Their Chief along with the California Highway Patrol Commissioner and that County Sheriff should resign their post in shame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies