Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My grand parents were immigrants. I am an American citizen. That is good enough for me.

To answer the question about the original immigrants to North and South America, they were undocumented (a legal trivia that allowed the Europeans to justify stealing the place) immigrants from Asia that moved in some 10 to 12 thousand years ago.

AFAC if somebody wants to immigrate to this country and can prove they do not have a criminal record (exception for the real criminals in the intelligence, banking and petroleum communities) they are quite welcome. Most become good citizens and neighbors.

The settlers/immigrants from Europe were not illegals. There were no immigration laws back then. Get a grip! Conquering was the norm back then, good or evil.

No, we cannot allow everyone in the world to come here just because they want to. We have annual quotas for legal immigration in place for good reasons.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
We live in a country or nation-state called the United States. The United States is made up of several nations, particularly the regional-ethnic-value divide. Don't think for one minute that this is one nation.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
once again it becomes a debate of words not meaning or substance.

We all know what it means when we say this is a nation of immigrants. We know it doesn't mean not every American was born here.

We get it.....

Except, that many people use that slogan to blackmail us into thinking we should allow anyone to migrate here at will , with our without permission today. That's why I hate that slogan and it's inaccurate anyway.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:21 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
Mom moved here at age four. She's an immigrant. I'm not. My dad was born here; he wasn't an immigrant either.
Oh, you're an anchor baby?

Old 04-27-2017, 09:25 AM

379 posts, read 255,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, you're an anchor baby?
Nope. My mom moved here legally.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:26 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
OMG.

Get over it, folks.

First, this entire discussion is just a bunch of hooey.

A significant portion of our population is made up by immigrants. 13.5% are immigrants, and 26% of ALL children in the United States reside with immigrant parents.

That means that immigrants have a significant impact on our culture and society.

And even if you reject that, this nation was still founded by immigrants. The people who immigrated to the New World imported their culture, their laws, their perspectives to this new place, and eventually broke free of the European countries to create something unique. The immigrants who came after the founding of the nation have all contributed to what we are now, what we will be in the future.

None of that makes it OK to conflate legal immigrants with illegal immigrants.

Which is the entire purpose of the " we are a nation of immigrants" narrative that the left pushes.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 AM

524 posts, read 251,832 times
It is a melting pot of immigrants. It is more a nation of immigrants than it is not. The population increased at a high rate due to immigrants who often had many children just as much as the native immigrants.

The statement "America is a nation of immigrants" holds much more water than the statement "America is not a nation of immigrants" undoubtedly. Very basic logic.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:32 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
I agree. I am the daughter of immigrants and therefore, more familiar with that experience. I have the drive that often comes with being a recent American. I am culturally mixed and have strong ties to two nations, not just one.

A generational American, I am NOT.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:33 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
It is a melting pot of immigrants. It is more a nation of immigrants than it is not. The population increased at a high rate due to immigrants who often had many children just as much as the native immigrants.

The statement "America is a nation of immigrants" holds much more water than the statement "America is not a nation of immigrants" undoubtedly. Very basic logic.
All your European countries are also a "nation of immigrants" by liberal logic. There have been so many wars, invasions along with the genetic mixing that the populations look very little like they looked 1000 years ago.

More left wing wasting of our time. Which is their job these days apparently.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 AM

379 posts, read 255,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I agree. I am the daughter of immigrants and therefore, more familiar with that experience. I have the drive that often comes with being a recent American. I am culturally mixed and have strong ties to two nations, not just one.

A generational American, I am NOT.
Ah, the good ol' notion that recent immigrants are more driven and industrious than we lazy native citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies