Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:05 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,953,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are right, Politicians do it also. Many supported it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipart...ign_Reform_Act
That isn't my point. They aren't trying to actively stifle free speech with violence. Throughout the twentieth century there were only three groups squashing free speech: Communists, Islamic Religious Zealots, and Fascists. I would add Anarchists in there but they never really had any "state" power but even in their little collectives in Spain, as recorded by George Orwell in Homage to Catalonia, they were pretty zealous.

But my larger point is that when conservatives call them fascists, it draws attention away from what they really are and what the history is of their ideology. Anarchists were major terrorists back in the early 20th century. Communists suppressed free speech throughout the world in the same zealous manner.

You actually don't need to call them brownshirts or fascists because it muddles the message. I mean it makes it seem as though conservatives don't believe Communists/Anarchists squashed free speech before in the same manner. That is what they were known to do, what they were notoriously known for. It is part of their ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 01:09 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,218,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Get the water cannon. They'll be clean on the outside at least.
I've always advocated a subtle modification to the water cannon. Instead of water spray these communist nitwits down with super slick KY jelly impregnated with skunk scent (or worse).

KY is environmentally friendly, water soluble and easy to clean off so they should have no problem with it.

But it sure would give them something new to think about for the rest of the day.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:25 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,855,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
I've always advocated a subtle modification to the water cannon. Instead of water spray these communist nitwits down with super slick KY jelly impregnated with skunk scent (or worse).

KY is environmentally friendly, water soluble and easy to clean off so they should have no problem with it.

But it sure would give them something new to think about for the rest of the day.
Nice, while I don't agree with canceling the parade (I think the subversive elements infiltrating the repubs marching could have been handled differently)
I like(sarcasm) how the whole convo has been skewed...

How about some discussion on the topic of why they thought it would be ok to even march with the
Republican paradees-

like really thats how far the GOP has gone?: its ok for neoNazi/ KKK sympathizers to walk openly with them in something as innocuous as a Rose Parade in one of the most diverse (racially ) parts of Portland?

(from the concurrent thread running in the Portland Forum Poster Metlakatla states:
"the iii percenters and others of their ilk were planning on being a part of the parade under the guise of the Mutnomah County Republican Party."

(not sure how to double quote)

Old 04-27-2017, 01:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,952,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That isn't my point. They aren't trying to actively stifle free speech with violence. Throughout the twentieth century there were only three groups squashing free speech: Communists, Islamic Religious Zealots, and Fascists. I would add Anarchists in there but they never really had any "state" power but even in their little collectives in Spain, as recorded by George Orwell in Homage to Catalonia, they were pretty zealous.

But my larger point is that when conservatives call them fascists, it draws attention away from what they really are and what the history is of their ideology. Anarchists were major terrorists back in the early 20th century. Communists suppressed free speech throughout the world in the same zealous manner.

You actually don't need to call them brownshirts or fascists because it muddles the message. I mean it makes it seem as though conservatives don't believe Communists/Anarchists squashed free speech before in the same manner. That is what they were known to do, what they were notoriously known for. It is part of their ideology.
Plenty call Trump a Fascist. My problem is you trying to blame all of this on "Conservatives". Vast generalizations never make a good argument.

Correct me if I misread.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:40 PM

52,329 posts, read 34,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Nice, while I don't agree with canceling the parade (I think the subversive elements infiltrating the repubs marching could have been handled differently)
I like(sarcasm) how the whole convo has been skewed...

How about some discussion on the topic of why they thought it would be ok to even march with the
Republican paradees-

like really thats how far the GOP has gone?: its ok for neoNazi/ KKK sympathizers to walk openly with them in something as innocuous as a Rose Parade in one of the most diverse (racially ) parts of Portland?

(from the concurrent thread running in the Portland Forum Poster Metlakatla states:
"the iii percenters and others of their ilk were planning on being a part of the parade under the guise of the Mutnomah County Republican Party."

(not sure how to double quote)
so you believe this because an anonymous C-D poster claims that the 'direct action alliance' says so?

her post is entirely devoid of working links.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:41 PM

17,388 posts, read 11,913,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We never have assurance of being free from violence.

They did not say they would have no protection. The police are not going to stand around doing nothing. Sheesh.
Of course there's not assurance of being free from violence. But you should be assured that if you are being attacked by an angry mob, the police would arrest those responsible, stop the attacks, and let the peaceful folks continue on. And yes, the police HAVE stood around doing nothing. At the order of their corrupt superiors.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,952,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Of course there's not assurance of being free from violence. But you should be assured that if you are being attacked by an angry mob, the police would arrest those responsible, stop the attacks, and let the peaceful folks continue on. And yes, the police HAVE stood around doing nothing. At the order of their corrupt superiors.
The police are not going to stand around while people get attacked.

Get some balls, hold the parade.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so you believe this because an anonymous C-D poster claims that the 'direct action alliance' says so?

her post is entirely devoid of working links.
Hmmm I will try to get some for you, she's a pretty solid Poster though, no nonsense, and generally more conservative than I am...
(O Uggabugga I see its you, hmmm)

Old 04-27-2017, 02:12 PM

52,329 posts, read 34,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Hmmm I will try to get some for you, she's a pretty solid Poster though, no nonsense, and generally more conservative than I am...
(O Uggabugga I see its you, hmmm)
yes it's me, my name is right beside the post. it's hardly a mystery

do you think the 'direct action alliance' is a valid, credible source of information?

from their web page:

Quote:
DAA organized in response to the rise of fascism in America. We are an alliance of the minority to form the majority. You are not alone, not now, not ever

Old 04-27-2017, 02:14 PM

heres the link (from the Willamette Week, I hope its a good enough source.. we certainly use it around here/ but what would actual Portlanders know, huh?)

82nd Avenue of Roses Parade Cancelled Amid Threats of Street Brawling - Willamette Week

plenty of blame to go around,
although I see the Republicans were going to bow out of the parade, but then changed their minds (and were still going to include the iii percenters?, et cetera)-
and then the fringe elements - RIGHT as well as LEFT jumped on the bandwagon to conflict.
Sounded like it could have been nasty, and definitely not "family friendly"-

Good article although still a bit skewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies