Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:33 AM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Way to cherry pick data and misrepresent it. Heres the big * on it. *in first 100 days in office.

Lets look at Obamas last 3 months, vs trumps first 3.

6 month change 15.32%
3 month change 5.99%

So in the last 3 months of Obamas term it went up 9.33%. in the first 3 months of trumps 5.99%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 11:51 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,178,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Way to cherry pick data and misrepresent it. Heres the big * on it. *in first 100 days in office.

Lets look at Obamas last 3 months, vs trumps first 3.

6 month change 15.32%
3 month change 5.99%

So in the last 3 months of Obamas term it went up 9.33%. in the first 3 months of trumps 5.99%
I'm not sure how you expect the stock market to grow since interest rates are lower, which means that the capital asset pricing model will indicate a lower expected market return. For things to normalize, it will require interest rates to rise, which will raise the cost of doing business.

In fact, you could argue that while interest rate are down across the globe, that the last incumbent set us up for an economic nightmare on the scale that no one could have ever imagined, just lurking on the horizon.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:58 AM

30,696 posts, read 21,836,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Because the libs have stock in "hopes" and "wishes"
They only wish for failure because their team lost, and therefore they must hate Trump. Whether the market does well or not has no affect on their loyalties.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,760,781 times
Quote:
Trump announced FAR larger tax cuts then expected yesterday.

And stocks have SOARED! Oh...wait....nope. Almost completely flat. At this point everyone has realized that Trump doesn't deliver.

Are you actually this dishonest in real life?

Old 04-28-2017, 12:02 PM

11,204 posts, read 8,256,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Isn't it strange that they never caught on to Obama, and then in less than 100 days "the world is catching on" to Trump?

This is the definition of "fake news."
Your post is the definition of the RWNJ's lack of comprehension of what fake news is. The OP stated an opinion, did not even cite a news article, and you are going around blathering about fake news.

What is not strange is that Obama had 8 years of steady, calculated growth. Those who are too cowardly to admit it will say "but it was the slowest recovery in history", ignoring the fact that the economy turned to the good under his leadership.

"The world is catching onto Trump", because he has a 40+ year history to look at, and his first 99 days have only validated our very reasonable assumption that the Trump we know is the Trump we'll get. And that's exactly what we got. Someone who talks a lot, can't back it up, and is being played by not only Putin, but by Mexico, Germany, NORTH KOREA and the rest of the world.

But to your point: Calling everything you don't like, can't understand, or can't handle "fake news" is as predictable and unconvincing as Trump himself. "The world has caught on" to that as well, you need a new battle-cry.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Are you actually this dishonest in real life?
Are you? Go LOOK at the data. The FACTS. Or do you just call people dishonest because they say something you don't like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I'm not sure how you expect the stock market to grow since interest rates are lower, which means that the capital asset pricing model will indicate a lower expected market return. For things to normalize, it will require interest rates to rise, which will raise the cost of doing business.

In fact, you could argue that while interest rate are down across the globe, that the last incumbent set us up for an economic nightmare on the scale that no one could have ever imagined, just lurking on the horizon.
interest rates from? They've been going up since what? September? The global argument might fly, want to provide a link?

Old 04-28-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Are you? Go LOOK at the data. The FACTS. Or do you just call people dishonest because they say something you don't like?

interest rates from? They've been going up since what? September? The global argument might fly, want to provide a link?
A link? Have you been asleep for 8 years?

Interest rates declined every single year Obama was in office, except for the one time they were raised .25% and market went out of control, requiring a liquidity injection.

Lol.

Are you serious? You really don't know what's going on? Are you unaware that central banks have been injecting liquidity into equity markets?

I guess people really are complacent and have absolutely no idea what's going on.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered.... I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

- TJ

Old 04-28-2017, 12:12 PM

11,204 posts, read 8,256,312 times
Quote:
Pull up the last year of the Dow. There's no real surge from trump, just a continuation of the existing trend. That to me is not a surge, or if there is one it's too small to see in the graph. If I'm wrong on that, say why.
You are not wrong, here is a 5-year plot of the DJIA, with a trend-line to help see it.

Source: Marketwatch (I'm sure you can choose any source and get the exact same data, it's DATA.)

(EDIT: I should have done a 10-year trend to show the full Obama effect, but this discussion is about the beginning of Trump administration, so the five year sets the baseline slope, and allows us to see a slight taper. Certainly not a bump.)

Old 04-28-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
A link? Have you been asleep for 8 years?

Interest rates declined every single year Obama was in office, except for the one time they were raised .25% and market went out of control, requiring a liquidity injection.

Lol.

Are you serious? You really don't know what's going on? Are you unaware that central banks have been injecting liquidity into equity markets?

I guess people really are complacent and have absolutely no idea what's going on.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered.... I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

- TJ
Apparently you have bee asleep since September when interest rates started to rise. I am aware that the did not rise before this, but remember, your argument originally is based on them not rising at all causing this.....when even you now admit they recently started to rise.

Im asking for a recent link to SOMETHING that backs up your point of view,or explains it. And im talking about one since the interest rate increase.

Your argument would have had a lot more behind it if since September they have been rising. Again, remember your argument originally.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Apparently you have bee asleep since September when interest rates started to rise. I am aware that the did not rise before this, but remember, your argument originally is based on them not rising at all causing this.....when even you now admit they recently started to rise.

Im asking for a recent link to SOMETHING that backs up your point of view,or explains it. And im talking about one since the interest rate increase.

Your argument would have had a lot more behind it if since September they have been rising. Again, remember your argument originally.
Yes, the market has gone up tremendously because easy money has led to debt stock buy-back repurchases through low interest rates.

It has created an artificial and unsustainable economy, not supported by organic growth and wage appreciation.

So what happens next? Normalization.

To be honest, I'm not sure what we're arguing about or what my initial premise was, but regardless, it doesn't change my conclusion which is asset deflation accompanied by intense pain. Nothing Trump can do to get us out of this.

What was my original argument? lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies