Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 04:43 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,785,636 times

Advertisements

Posts about all the "populist disgust with Wall Street greed" are ridiculous.

We have a Wall Street/Goldman Sachs administration, so where is the "populist disgust" or outrage?

McConnell and the Republicans just put the Heritage Foundation's corporate shill on the Supreme court.

Where was the populist disgust and outrage over that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 05:18 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yeah, I don't understand why Trump is president. He wants to change the first amendment so he can sue the media who says negative things about him. It's like to hell with freedom of speech. Coal mining jobs are not coming back like he promised. The ACA isn't going anywhere. What do you think about his tax plan? If you know anything about this then you know it only benefits the rich
It does.....just as it was the rich that benefited the last eight years. Few were complaining then. Many complaining now were bragging about how well they were doing.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
When I used to think about "President of the United States" one of the last people I thought of was Donald Trump. So what's your point? No matter what you or I think, there are things we cannot control.
Why do you (and others) continually bring up Trump in replies to me? I in no way shape or form support Trump. It is not a rebuttal to anything I post.

Quote:
Actually, as much as I believe that health care should not be in the hands of bankers or investors, we need investments in biotechnology and other health care related fields. After all, the Trump administration wants to slash funding for medical research and other grants. For years, a very large percentage of funding has come from private investors, although the market fluctuates, and encouraging people to invest is necessary so biotech companies can develop better treatments for diseases like cancer and heart disease.
So they they can charge us $5000 for medicine the rest of the world gets for $300?

Old 05-01-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Huh?

How do you know how much that book will make?

And as a libertarian, how do you square your political views with complaining about a private corporation (book publisher) brokering a deal with a private citizen (Obama)?
I've never said I as a Libertarian. I am not. I am a (I). I do not believe in aligning yourself with any party because then they take you for granted. I align with a good number of their views, but I part with many others. I voted Sanders and then Stein, not Johnson.

Quote:
Not for nothing, but his first two books sold millions and millions of copies. Why wouldn't a publishing company take a chance on someone who's already written successful, best selling books?
He didn't write them....just noting.

Quote:
How much does he need? Again, why is that your business? As long as he pays taxes on his income, I'm fine.
It's my business because he made it his business concerning others.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:28 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,785,636 times
All this fuss about Obama earning speaking fees from others while Trump rakes in the dough at Mar-a-Lago from taxpayers.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:48 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
First of all, you and Trump are showing your ignorance by calling Senator Warren "Pochahontas." However, if you were familiar with the law, you'd know that an active member of Congress cannot be paid for speeches.

By the way, when did Obama say he "hated" Wall Street? He just wanted financial regulations to protect consumers.
Agree here. President Obama had the audacity to desire common sense regulation for the '4th branch' of US government, i.e. the FIRE sector. When the libertarian business-worshipping legislators lawyers & lobbyists lapdogs were having none of that, some folks think it might've been more 'prudent' for him to just 'take his ball & go home.' He shoulda just resigned at that moment, after all, he couldn't just claim to be a 'benevolent dictator' now could he? After all, see all the trouble So-called President is having with attempting?Granted, he's more likely to claim 'enlightened despot' or 'self-claimed Monarch'.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:55 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,519,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
The Rolling Stones have earned 29 million for one stadium appearance. Obama is small potatoes.

On a side note, I guarantee if someone offers you 400k to speak anywhere, you will be all over it.

The Rolling Stones are not public servants.
If you are going to make a comparison, can you do it right?

And no, I would not take $400, 000 dollars for a speech if I was a public servant.
That is raping the system.

Not everyone is a money whre.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:02 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
The Rolling Stones are not public servants.
If you are going to make a comparison, can you do it right?

And no, I would not take $400, 000 dollars for a speech if I was a public servant.
That is raping the system.

Not everyone is a money whre.

Uh, news flash, there Atalanta ! Barack Obama is no longer a PUBLIC SERVANT, he retired January 20th, 2017. He is now free to vacation, sleep in, visit old friends, and, yes, give speeches that pay well.

You probably didn't get the memo that he left office.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I have said several times both parties and ex presidents to the same thing. It might be legal but it does not pass the smell test.

Jack, some won't hear you.
I have too said it's wrong no matter what political party does it.

They want an argument.
They want division.
It seems they feed off of it.

Pretty sad isn't it.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
The problem is that he WAS president. And now he is accepting grossly over inflated fees for speeches.
Which leads one to wonder just what he is getting paid for.
Right on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies