Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:00 PM

29,682 posts, read 24,738,189 times

Advertisements

Ya, just wondering when we should start encouraging 1/5th of America to trade in their food stamps for a living in a factory. Because I just don't see it happening. We don't have the skilled workforce any longer. Our population is too old (demographics not suitable for mass production). And factories tend not to attract top talent, or brain cells worth retaining. Maybe Obama's economic plan was right. Maybe every American should become a doctor, lawyer, or welfare recipient. I'll gladly see my way out of this country if it has come to this point, but I maintain some hope that things may change in my life time...

From what I have observed, average factory jobs are paying no more than they were 10 years ago. One would be quite foolish to pursue a profession where they must work hard for ever declining wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 04:02 PM

34,269 posts, read 19,270,906 times
Have you seen the new Tesla factory?

Heres a article on all the manufacturing jobs brought back!

https://futurism.com/leaked-photos-f...uild-model-3s/

100's of robots.

Welcome to the future!

Old 04-28-2017, 04:02 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,780,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Ya, just wondering when we should start encouraging 1/5th of America to trade in their food stamps for a living in a factory. Because I just don't see it happening. We don't have the skilled workforce any longer. Our population is too old (demographics not suitable for mass production). And factories tend not to attract top talent, or brain cells worth retaining. Maybe Obama's economic plan was right. Maybe every American should become a doctor, lawyer, or welfare recipient. I'll gladly see my way out of this country if it has come to this point, so I retain some hope that things may change in my life time...
We've already discussed this the US needs to emulate what Germany does which is small machine shops and so on that specialize in certain things.

Also mechanical and industrial engineers will be in huge demand. They can automate everything stuff is still going to break down, have glitches, and improvements will need made to the robots and so on.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
We've already discussed this the US needs to emulate what Germany does which is small machine shops and so on that specialize in certain things.

Also mechanical and industrial engineers will be in huge demand. They can automate everything stuff is still going to break down, have glitches, and improvements will need made to the robots and so on.
US used to do this. Then the Marxists took over. The rest is history.

And when it comes to American business owners, your plan won't sell. Those are salesman you are talking to, and they can do "everything" better than everyone else, always. They are the best salesman to be found, I guarantee that. But far too often, they are not experts in the work itself. Their job is to hire experts to do the work. It makes for a very expensive system that most consumers absolutely will not pay for when there are cheaper options (like slaves in Asia).

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Have you seen the new Tesla factory?

Heres a article on all the manufacturing jobs brought back!

https://futurism.com/leaked-photos-f...uild-model-3s/

100's of robots.

Welcome to the future!
Robots don't consume. They are also not nearly as versatile as a human. Robotics is in it's infancy. The US is also not nearly as automated as people claim. We actually have a great deal of catching up to do with tons of developed nations. Our policy for the last 20 years has been, don't invest to compete in "dying" industries.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:11 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,839,096 times
There was an article on CNN a while ago talking about how the biggest impediment to American manufacturing jobs isn't China, it's automation.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:14 PM

45,064 posts, read 26,238,948 times
Keep raising that min wage. and watch what's left disappear

Old 04-28-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
US used to do this. Then the Marxists took over. The rest is history.

And when it comes to American business owners, your plan won't sell. Those are salesman you are talking to, and they can do "everything" better than everyone else, always. They are the best salesman to be found, I guarantee that. But far too often, they are not experts in the work itself. Their job is to hire experts to do the work. It makes for a very expensive system that most consumers absolutely will not pay for when there are cheaper options (like slaves in Asia).

Robots don't consume. They are also not nearly as versatile as a human. Robotics is in it's infancy. The US is also not nearly as automated as people claim. We actually have a great deal of catching up to do with tons of developed nations. Our policy for the last 20 years has been, don't invest to compete in "dying" industries.
You are in denial. Seriously, robotics is FAR more capable then in the past. And its RAPIDLY increasing.

And while not quite as versatile, they are FAR more capable. And they dont stop.

Robotics is leaving its infancy. Take a look at the Tesla factory link I posted.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Keep raising that min wage. and watch what's left disappear
And? Whats your point? Its going to happen anyways, your argument is simply "let people be poor because its better to work them, then the robots even if they can't afford a apartment and have to be subsidized by the government"

Old 04-28-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You are in denial. Seriously, robotics is FAR more capable then in the past. And its RAPIDLY increasing.

And while not quite as versatile, they are FAR more capable. And they dont stop.

Robotics is leaving its infancy. Take a look at the Tesla factory link I posted.
I hope you're right. It would be a huge leap forward if we could integrate robotics into our rather old and outdated industrial sector. But, I fear that robotics and automation will only further divide this nation, not lift all boats. That would be a terrible tragedy, and would probably leave America in no better shape overall.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:22 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,016,840 times
Quote:

Yep. I think most people are unaware of how fast automation is coming at us. And we are not prepared for the fallout. And it's not just in blue collar factory jobs, it's coming to white collar jobs as well, and sooner than we are prepared for.

So the answer to the OP is, the good paying factory jobs ain't coming back. If you believed Trump, you were sold a bill of goods by a very good con man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies