Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:01 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,730,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
It isn't just federal mandates that is killing coal. States have the same idiotic mandates including renewable energy mandates. Electric utilities see the writing on the wall, knowing that one day there will be another coal killing administration, plus with the State mandates, the subsidies for pursuing pie in the sky wind and solar, the guaranteed ROI they get from their regulators... it in essence costs them less to continue to do this insanity now than to wait for a time when the subsidies and guaranteed ROI are no longer in place.

Electric utilities know the cost of this insanity will not be carried by them, rather it will be paid for by their customers. This is in essence a great time for them to jump on this PR scam, proclaiming we were progressive and did the right thing because we care, nonsense. All the while knowing damn well that it WILL cause their customers' rates to skyrocket. You know, because spreading the wealth, allowing other lesser nations to burn coal while we pay for a much higher priced energy is just "fair" because, well because it wasn't fair that we had such successes and advantages all these years with our cheap energy costs.

To hell with all you anti-American pukes who are demanding this insanity be pushed upon Americans simply because we are evil capitalists who have more than our fair share.
You "evil capitalists" wish to destroy our environment. If that makes us "aniti-American pukes" then so be it. There are far more important things than your precious profit.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:02 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,819,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Except it's not. All energy production has regulations, just like all types of businesses. That's because it's not the Wild West and companies shouldn't be able to do whatever they want without question or consequence. If coal is such a weak industry that it can't survive some rules, but something like natural gas can thrive at the same time, then you have your real answer as to which industry has a future and which doesn't. It'd be like if there was heavy regulation on the manufacturing of typewriters. If there were 0 regulations, would typewriter manufacturing explode? Of course not, because technology has moved on. It's the same case here. The regulation existed for a reason- because coal mining is exceedingly dirty and dangerous, but without that regulation, the industry still has to contend with a changing world that has really already largely left it behind, both as a fuel source and as an economic engine.
It's frankly, incredibly dumb, to be championing an industry that doesn't have a long-term future. Americans used to be a lot more forward-thinking and imaginative than this. What happened to that? So many seem completely afraid of change, when it used to be that the US was a leader in innovation. It's sad to see so many people longing for some kind of past glory.
As far as climate change, it's an argument that doesn't go anywhere. One can either accept the science or not, and it seems that where one stands on accepting that science is largely a political position, which is another sad thing. American education has fallen to such a pathetic state that you have an entire culture that has replaced facts with emotional beliefs. All this stuff makes me think that America's best days are long behind her, and like coal, the future is not looking too great.

THIS is what is driving coal fired electric generation to close, NOT the free market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=582UBGb8vOo

Old 04-30-2017, 11:02 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,779,340 times
Quote:
It's frankly, incredibly dumb, to be championing an industry that doesn't have a long-term future. Americans used to be a lot more forward-thinking and imaginative than this. What happened to that? So many seem completely afraid of change, when it used to be that the US was a leader in innovation. It's sad to see so many people longing for some kind of past glory.

As far as climate change, it's an argument that doesn't go anywhere. One can either accept the science or not, and it seems that where one stands on accepting that science is largely a political position, which is another sad thing. American education has fallen to such a pathetic state that you have an entire culture that has replaced facts with emotional beliefs. All this stuff makes me think that America's best days are long behind her, and like coal, the future is not looking too great.
We are not even looking to the future, we are looking to the past.

We had a good run. Lots of natural resources. Other developed countries devastated by two world wars.

Good times.

Noodle salad.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
It's like arguing that people should be allowed to smoke anywhere they want or drive drunk. Sure, these are personal choices and all, but they have direct, negative consequences on other people who don't choose to do the same. Some people seem to not get this concept.

...and you're gone. Buh bye!

Old 04-30-2017, 11:19 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,044,304 times
Quote:
THIS is what is driving coal fired electric generation to close, NOT the free market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=582UBGb8vOo
Coal was dying long before Obama was president.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:21 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,044,304 times
Quote:
...and you're gone. Buh bye!
So you think that industrial pollution only affects those that support coal?

Old 04-30-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Some nations are coming close to being 100% renewable energy.

It think Germany just had 100% renewable energy day.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...newable-energy

Oh yea... Let's use Germany as an example of what to do.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#56676ff05483

Germany's Solar Failure | The Resilient Earth

Germany's Green Energy Destabilizing Electric Grids - IER

https://thebiggreenlie.wordpress.com...-green-energy/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco.../#c41bbd64c4ee

High Costs and Errors of German Transition to Renewable Energy - SPIEGEL ONLINE

http://instituteforenergyresearch.or...any-turn-coal/

Pfft!

Old 04-30-2017, 11:58 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,784,429 times
Quote:
It isn't just federal mandates that is killing coal. States have the same idiotic mandates including renewable energy mandates. Electric utilities see the writing on the wall, knowing that one day there will be another coal killing administration, plus with the State mandates, the subsidies for pursuing pie in the sky wind and solar, the guaranteed ROI they get from their regulators... it in essence costs them less to continue to do this insanity now than to wait for a time when the subsidies and guaranteed ROI are no longer in place.

Electric utilities know the cost of this insanity will not be carried by them, rather it will be paid for by their customers. This is in essence a great time for them to jump on this PR scam, proclaiming we were progressive and did the right thing because we care, nonsense. All the while knowing damn well that it WILL cause their customers' rates to skyrocket. You know, because spreading the wealth, allowing other lesser nations to burn coal while we pay for a much higher priced energy is just "fair" because, well because it wasn't fair that we had such successes and advantages all these years with our cheap energy costs.

To hell with all you anti-American pukes who are demanding this insanity be pushed upon Americans simply because we are evil capitalists who have more than our fair share.

Oh dear. I think you should re think what you wrote under your user name. Yes people have the right to choose. I don't want to heat my house with coal. I remember the coal being delivered as a child and how black everything was in that room. I also think it was a lot nicer and healthier for all of us in the house when my father stopped shoveling all that coal into the furnace and eliminated all of that coal dust that traveled through out the house. You can choose to heat your house with coal if you like. Take that trip down memory lane, but you may find the filth a bit much to deal with.

Our electric company uses both coal and wind to generate our electricity, and I love the fact that our air has better quality because of it. My personal choice is to have clean, renewable energy. Does that make me an anti-American puke? Really? Yikes. I hate to burst your bubble but coal isn't coming back despite Trump's roll back on regulations allowing his 1% buddies a quick money grab at our planets expense. You know we actually went green and made our 1911 house more energy efficient by insulating it. Our last gas bill was $104.17 and our last electric bill was $73.40. Not bad at all. I'll keep my natural gas and green mentality. I guess I'll just have to be an anti-American puke. Should I have a T-shirt made? We go forward in life and that means new technology and attitudes. Go green. It is the future.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:02 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,779,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Oh dear. I think you should re think what you wrote under your user name. Yes people have the right to choose. I don't want to heat my house with coal. I remember the coal being delivered as a child and how black everything was in that room. I also think it was a lot nicer and healthier for all of us in the house when my father stopped shoveling all that coal into the furnace and eliminated all of that coal dust that traveled through out the house. You can choose to heat your house with coal if you like. Take that trip down memory lane, but you may find the filth a bit much to deal with.

Our electric company uses both coal and wind to generate our electricity, and I love the fact that our air has better quality because of it. My personal choice is to have clean, renewable energy. Does that make me an anti-American puke? Really? Yikes. I hate to burst your bubble but coal isn't coming back despite Trump's roll back on regulations allowing his 1% buddies a quick money grab at our planets expense. You know we actually went green and made our 1911 house more energy efficient by insulating it. Our last gas bill was $104.17 and our last electric bill was $73.40. Not bad at all. I'll keep my natural gas and green mentality. I guess I'll just have to be an anti-American puke. Should I have a T-shirt made? We go forward in life and that means new technology and attitudes. Go green. It is the future.
Nailed it.

Germany is our manufacturing competition and they are getting close to 100% renewable energy. They actually had a 100% day recently.

That's the future.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:22 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,147,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You "evil capitalists" wish to destroy our environment. If that makes us "aniti-American pukes" then so be it. There are far more important things than your precious profit.
Rate regulated utilities are guaranteed a profit, or else they go out of business and the lights go out.

If the cost to generate electricity goes up (which it certainly will if we add a lot of wind and solar capacity, ask the Germans about that), they will pass the cost on to consumers.

Not everyone can afford to pay 4x for electricity. The poor will suffer the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.