Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
Do you add largest prison population in the world to unemployed?
Actually - those incarcerated are employed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
texdav - the 'American dream' of home ownership doesn't seem to be doing so well over here either.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 AM

418 posts, read 564,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually - those incarcerated are employed!
LOL, yes... EXPLOITED, you wanted to say...

By European standards, they are not. Basically, everyone, from old, young, disabled, even out of work for who knows how long is counted in the figures! That even includes some lazy... unfortunately!

In USA, people are "cut from figures" as soon as they reach some conditions. These are quite harsh.

Even so, there are ONLY a few countries nearing "zero" unemployment. They are all in Europe.

Interestingly enough, small countries perform best! It's easier to make changes in small country, and do it fast. Especially if there isn't a corrupt
pro-corporatist government like in USA.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
texdav - the 'American dream' of home ownership doesn't seem to be doing so well over here either.
Many FAIL to understand that home ownership is not neccesarily what everybody wants.
That depends ALSO upon how much tenants are protected, HOW much rents vs mortgage are priced etc.

There is no single measure of homeownership rate... and even so, IS this ownership real?
People in USA buy what they can't afford.

Again "nobody knew this was coming".

Even so, USA doesn't have the highest home ownership in the world,
AND you'd be surprised THAT countries in eastern Europe actually have highest home ownership of ALL. Around 80-90%...

But then again, when i asked people if they think dollar will fall...
"It never will, NO way".

Meanwhile, i exchanged dollars for francs and euros, as much as i could.

People are easily manipulated by US government, and this crysis is just
SIGN of how much "they were telling truth".

I wonder, CAN they "cover" the fact that US household savings rate is close to ZERO?

Last edited by fiksi; 03-10-2008 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Many FAIL to understand that home ownership is not neccesarily what everybody wants.
You are correct - not everyone wants to own their own home. And, that's fair.

That said however, it is estimated that some 90% would / do want to own their own home. That neighborhoods with high percentages of owner occupants tend to be more stable neighborhoods.

And, with homeownership in the United States at around 76%, and increasing, this is a positive development. AND, with prices becoming more affordable than in a very long time, and with mortgage interest rates at some of the lowest ever, there are more first time buyers out buying - and, that too is a very good thing.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
You are correct - not everyone wants to own their own home. And, that's fair.

That said however, it is estimated that some 90% would / do want to own their own home. That neighborhoods with high percentages of owner occupants tend to be more stable neighborhoods.

And, with homeownership in the United States at around 76%, and increasing, this is a positive development. AND, with prices becoming more affordable than in a very long time, and with mortgage interest rates at some of the lowest ever, there are more first time buyers out buying - and, that too is a very good thing.

"The Census Bureau report showed that home owners accounted for 67.8% of occupied homes in the fourth quarter, down 1.1 points from a year earlier. It's the largest year-over-year drop recorded in the report."

This is, by far, NOT the highest number in western world... but this is what US government tells its people. You added some 10%, but never mind...

I don't remember other countries, owning EVEN more homes going "into dump" economically... for their citizens to afford these homes.

And, by miracle, these countries HAVE household savings... which US of A does not. They also have stable currencies, unlike US $.

Low borrow rates can trigger inflation, ALSO, they can push dollar EVEN more down.

For some, it might be good, but story isn't that simple.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
"The Census Bureau report showed that home owners accounted for 67.8% of occupied homes in the fourth quarter, down 1.1 points from a year earlier. It's the largest year-over-year drop recorded in the report."

This is, by far, NOT the highest number in western world... but this is what US government tells its people. You added some 10%, but never mind...

I don't remember other countries, owning EVEN more homes going "into dump" economically... for their citizens to afford these homes.

And, by miracle, these countries HAVE household savings... which US of A does not. They also have stable currencies, unlike US $.

Low borrow rates can trigger inflation, ALSO, they can push dollar EVEN more down.

For some, it might be good, but story isn't that simple.
My "number" comes from HUD - The Department of Housing and Urban Development.

And, frankly, what other countries do is of no concern to me. I live in the United States.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
My "number" comes from HUD - The Department of Housing and Urban Development.

And, frankly, what other countries do is of no concern to me. I live in the United States.
"The ownership rate was well below the 68.2% ownership rate in the third quarter of 2007. Homeownership rates, which have been tracked since 1965, hit a record high of 69.2% in the second and fourth quarters of 2004."

Data comes from official, government sources... Census Bureau.

Yes, you live in US, and what you should be concerned-and ALL of people here, is that Americans are living WAY beyond their real means, ONLY fueled by debt.

Average family in US is barely able to save anything... and this is not good.

This is not any news... it has been so for years.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
"Data comes from official, government sources... Census Bureau.
Ah, HUD is an offical government source

Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Ah, HUD is an offical government source
Then government is lying again... dunno

Census.gov seems AS official as it gets to me. The data is up to more than 40 years followed.

The figure you mentioned, they don't use that on cnn.com and in comparisons i saw.

Anyhow, incomes in US are quickly eroding, and that i see as a big problem.
Purchasing power of $ is record low, and crysis is here. Savings are zero, and HI premiums are going up faster than a rocket.

US middle class, which may have, FOR some time been the richest in the world has cycled down, down, and down... and is still going down.

Other nations are taking more time to enjoy the wealth they have created, while in US, people work more and more, for less REAL dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies