Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:41 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,814,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Not in all states.
When buying at a dealer that is the case in all states.

Most illegal guns come from straw purchasers or are stollen. Both things which are already illegal and in the chase of straw purchasers is rarely prosecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 01:43 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,006,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
When buying at a dealer that is the case in all states.

Most illegal guns come from straw purchasers or are stollen. Both things which are already illegal and in the chase of straw purchasers is rarely prosecuted.
Yes, when buying through a dealer. However, in many states no back ground check is required when buying a gun through a private buyer.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, when buying through a dealer. However, in many states no back ground check is required when buying a gun through a private buyer.
Which is not being used, by and large, to acquire guns for use by the criminal element.

The question is really pretty simple. Show a state that passes an anti gun law and then has a measured reduction in gun crime outside of current trends. I'll save you some research, it does not exist. The anti gun laws have no measurable difference in crime statistics, making them worthless.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Which is not being used, by and large, to acquire guns for use by the criminal element.

The question is really pretty simple. Show a state that passes an anti gun law and then has a measured reduction in gun crime outside of current trends. I'll save you some research, it does not exist. The anti gun laws have no measurable difference in crime statistics, making them worthless.
Not saying that they do. Just stating that it is easy to buy a gun, in many states, without a back ground check.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Not saying that they do. Just stating that it is easy to buy a gun, in many states, without a back ground check.
What is your point? Statistically it isn't happening in any meaningful way. So if it isn't the source of crime guns what is the point in limiting it?

Old 05-03-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
What is your point? Statistically it isn't happening in any meaningful way. So if it isn't the source of crime guns what is the point in limiting it?

Im not saying it should be limited.

You stated that buying guns required a back ground check. I merely stated that not all purchases require one.

Personally I don't think that purchases of any time should require a back ground check but that's not the point of this whole thread.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:13 PM

5,063 posts, read 2,271,839 times
Quote:
I'll dispute this, though it's hard to prove because outside of FFL holders, there are no readily-accessible records. In PA, while it's perfectly legal to sell a gun to another person, most people aren't willing to sell to a stranger without some sort of check. In many cases, when you look at ads or posts, the seller states that you must meet them at the FFL's place to have a background check done. At a minimum, most sellers in PA ask that you have a current LTCF (license to carry a firearm), and a lot will ask you to sign a bill of sale, so they're protected in case the gun turns up in a crime situation. In order to get that license, you have to get approval from your county sheriff, who will run a background check and phone two references you list on your application.

From a quick glance at the classified section of a forum I belong to:
" would be looking to meet at a local FFL for transfer"
"if you're from one of the near States, do NOT offer to drive here and purchase FTF, you will also be ignored."
"Buyer also pays the FFL transfer fee."
"The transaction would have at *** Weaponry"
"Looking for FTF transactions with both valid PA DL and PA LTCF, no exceptions."

Here is one guy who wants to buy FTF, and no one is responding to his post. He's bumped the post nine times over the course of a couple months, with zero results:
"Looking for a FTF sale." LOL.

(FTF means face-to-face. I deleted specific shop names or locations.)

Old 05-03-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I'll dispute this, though it's hard to prove because outside of FFL holders, there are no readily-accessible records. In PA, while it's perfectly legal to sell a gun to another person, most people aren't willing to sell to a stranger without some sort of check. In many cases, when you look at ads or posts, the seller states that you must meet them at the FFL's place to have a background check done. At a minimum, most sellers in PA ask that you have a current LTCF (license to carry a firearm), and a lot will ask you to sign a bill of sale, so they're protected in case the gun turns up in a crime situation. In order to get that license, you have to get approval from your county sheriff, who will run a background check and phone two references you list on your application.

From a quick glance at the classified section of a forum I belong to:
" would be looking to meet at a local FFL for transfer"
"if you're from one of the near States, do NOT offer to drive here and purchase FTF, you will also be ignored."
"Buyer also pays the FFL transfer fee."
"The transaction would have at *** Weaponry"
"Looking for FTF transactions with both valid PA DL and PA LTCF, no exceptions."

Here is one guy who wants to buy FTF, and no one is responding to his post. He's bumped the post nine times over the course of a couple months, with zero results:
"Looking for a FTF sale." LOL.

(FTF means face-to-face. I deleted specific shop names or locations.)

Sure, if people want to do one they can. Nothing wrong with covering your ass.

Still doesn't change the fact that many states don't require it. And I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:46 PM

5,063 posts, read 2,271,839 times
Quote:
Sure, if people want to do one they can. Nothing wrong with covering your ass.

Still doesn't change the fact that many states don't require it. And I see nothing wrong with that.
. Just added what I did because there are more than a few people who think all private sales are easy, cheap, and no background checks are the rule, when the opposite is usually true. The more gun owners counter these kind of misperceptions the better off we are.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:48 AM

18,450 posts, read 7,077,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Quit trying to put words in my mouth. I never said a word about punishment for God's sake What I very clearly said is that an excuse for breaking the law is not created because the activity was once legal...that's all I said. I don't care about magazines or NY gun law or whatever it is that you are trying to argue about. I simply DO NOT CARE, but for the recored there never were 6 million instant felons created because of the passage of a new law and no, you did not refute it because for that to be true there would have had to have been 6 million FELONY CONVICTIONS, get it?

You are playing semantics.

You know exactly what the poster you quoted meant by creating 6 million new felons.

By your logic, a killer is not a murderer until he's caught and convicted.

Making any item illegal that was legal makes everyone in possession of that item an instant criminal in the eyes of the law, regardless if they have been convicted or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies