Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:53 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Am I the only one that has noticed USPS consistently delivering packages late? UPS and FedEx seem to be getting it right.

What if we just let USPS die of natural causes? I'm talking about not keep putting it on life support. If they can't deliver mail and packages on time, what's the point of keeping it around?
You are aware that FedEx only delivers so far then hands your package over to the USPS? The PO is the only delivery service that goes EVERYWHERE. And I constantly have to retrieve my UPS package from my neighbor's doorway, sometimes involving a bike ride, because they'll deliver it to #15 Anystreet, last time two streets over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 06:56 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times
I am not a fan of USPS, but why "decide" to kill them off? Just let them run like any business. It's subsidizing their operations from the Treasury I don't get. Let them change their rates to provide the revenue to cover their costs (including funding their employee pensions) without an ongoing subsidy by taxpayers. I suspect they'll do fine for a long time. Snail mail (exclusively USPS by law) may go away entirely some day, but not anytime soon. And they seem to compete well enough on package delivery. I've used USPS, UPS and FedEx for packages, they seem pretty comparable IME.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:01 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I am not a fan of USPS, but why "decide" to kill them off? Just let them run like any business. It's subsidizing their operations from the Treasury I don't get. Let them change their rates to provide the revenue to cover their costs (including funding their employee pensions) without an ongoing subsidy by taxpayers, and see how they do. I suspect they'll do fine for a long time. Snail mail may go away entirely some day, but not anytime soon. And they seem to compete well enough on package delivery.
How can you run something "like a business" when it is is funded by an endless supply of everyone's money?

Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How can you run something "like a business" when it is is funded by an endless supply of everyone's money?
Dunno, but a lot of people voted for Donald Trump because he vowed to run the federal government like a business, even though it's funded by an endless supply of everyone's money...

OK, deflection aside...the USPS doesn't receive direct government funding. It does receive the benefit of not having to pay state and local property taxes and it does receive the benefit of borrowing money from the federal government at very low interest rates. But to claim that the Post Office is funded by an endless supply of everyone's money is just simply ignorant.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Your analogy fails, sir.

The police in my neighborhood is a separate force from the one in a different state. Apples and oranges.

The United States Postal Service, however, is one large government organization. It is reasonable to assume similar policies are in place all over the country, and that if there were any geographical locations that were consistently under performing, that those locations would be scrutinized and problems addressed. At least I'm comparing Apples to Apples.

So, you appear to believe you have math and statistics skills, but seem to lack the logic required to take into account that someone who has been mailing multiple packages daily for years on end has a much better grasp on the postal system's performance than someone who doesn't, regardless of if it is just "one anecdote vs another anecdote".
Nothing fails. Its an analogy meant to loosely show how faulty your anecdote is. You are implying that because your local post office is super efficient, then every other one must be functioning just as efficiently. Its a faulty and unsubstantiated claim, period.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:32 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nothing fails. Its an analogy meant to loosely show how faulty your anecdote is. You are implying that because your local post office is super efficient, then every other one must be functioning just as efficiently. Its a faulty and unsubstantiated claim, period.
My local post office? Those 1,681 packages went to about 1,600 different post offices! All delivered efficiently.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
My local post office? Those 1,681 packages went to about 1,600 different post offices! All delivered efficiently.
I guess they all just magically appeared at those other post offices, no hand-off from you to any local post office?

Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
One of the reasons the US Post Office has somewhat higher costs is it, unlike its "competitors" has to fully fund its pension fund. I believe every business should have to have pensions for their employees and those funds should be completely funded by the business and managed by some other entity.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
My community has security mailboxes, as well as some larger ones for large packages. For this reason, I've always received everything I've ordered that's been sent through USPS. I can't say the same for UPS or FedEx who has left important packages that needed to be signed at my door when I wasn't home. Neighbors have also reported having packages stolen from their front doors before.

Last edited by Hapa1; 05-01-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-01-2017, 09:50 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Am I the only one that has noticed USPS consistently delivering packages late? UPS and FedEx seem to be getting it right.

What if we just let USPS die of natural causes? I'm talking about not keep putting it on life support. If they can't deliver mail and packages on time, what's the point of keeping it around?
I've not experienced any late deliveries in a quite a while.

It's always interesting to me when people complain about the USPS particularly when they are responsible, at least in my area, for delivering so many packages FOR UPS and FedEx.

If UPS and FedEx shipments are arriving more consistently, maybe the issue is that the USPS is giving too much priority to those other carriers in some areas.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies