Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:47 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The protests aren't organic though, they're being paid for by foreign powers to undermine our democracy.
Link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 08:48 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I honestly don't care if these people march as long as they don't impede traffic, cause destruction of private property, or physically attack other people. Protest is their right. If wearing silly hats or recruiting wealthy movie stars who jet around on private yachts and planes to join in makes them feel better, so be it.
Ditto. Today's protestors, unlike MLK and the Movement, lack cohesive plans. That failure to plan makes them ineffective.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:02 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Big ones tomorrow for world communism day and again on Cinco de Mayo for illegals.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:08 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Big ones tomorrow for world communism day and again on Cinco de Mayo for illegals.
Right on the heels of a very big one yesterday in Washington for climate change. More than 200,000 showed up in the capitol, with another 50,000 in other cities across the country. They are not slowing down in the least. Quite the contrary.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:12 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Right on the heels of a very big one yesterday in Washington for climate change. More than 200,000 showed up in the capitol, with another 50,000 in other cities across the country. They are not slowing down in the least. Quite the contrary.
So thats my point? What exactly did they accomplish? What results can be measured and what actions are being taken as a result of these marches that directly impact the "cause" that everyone was marching for?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:23 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So thats my point? What exactly did they accomplish? What results can be measured and what actions are being taken as a result of these marches that directly impact the "cause" that everyone was marching for?
A show of force, a sign of unity and coordination, the ability to get off ones tail rather than sitting around moping/complaining, educating the public...pick one. I for one refuse to let this so-called presidency with its bold-faced lies, brazen corruption and anti-freedom measures ever become normalized.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
A show of force, a sign of unity and coordination, the ability to get off ones tail rather than sitting around moping/complaining, educating the public...pick one. I for one refuse to let this so-called presidency with its bold-faced lies, brazen corruption and anti-freedom measures ever become normalized.
Ok, now what about tangible things? And sorry, hes not a "so-called" president. Like it or not, he is your actual president.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:27 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Ok, now what about tangible things? And sorry, hes not a "so-called" president. Like it or not, he is your actual president.
Just using Trump's own words against him. What results are you seeking, exactly? The next step is, of course, to create and support quality candidates for office who will fight for progress. But you won't see those results until next year, at the earliest.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Just using Trump's own words against him. What results are you seeking, exactly? The next step is, of course, to create and support quality candidates for office who will fight for progress. But you won't see those results until next year, at the earliest.
But see, thats the problem. I don't see people putting their names out there saying "I" will run for office, or I will support a non-establishment or 3rd party candidate. There are a few but certainly not enough to make a difference.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:37 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
What you aren't seeing is the behind the scenes organizing that is happening all across the country. The protests are just the visible tip of the iceberg.

I belong to several local Democratic organizations, a few of which didn't even exist a year ago. We're working on getting candidates elected at the local level right now as well as focusing on the bigger national issues. We are the ones who are organizing and turning out at these protests, as a show of support and a way to network with each other and share ideas on how to move forward. There's a tremendous amount of energy being generated. You see that in the large turnouts we're getting all across the country.

I will credit Donald Trump with one thing, and that is waking up liberals who had grown much too complacent. I guess we needed someone like him to remind us of what is really at stake here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies