Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:41 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Now that is cleared up......Detroit asked the Obama administration for help and was rebuffed. Their tax base has largely left. More officers and cars cost money. Money that isn't there.

That said, I have supported the idea that if there are legitimate needs they should be met. I imagine that this is not simple hyperbole. When you are left with people with little to lose things can get bad.

We should have helped out Detroit as opposed to the Trillions to Wall Street. We should have helped Detroit out as opposed to starting stupid wars where we blow up bridges and then spend many times over to replace them.

We shouldn't destroy a armed force in another country and then have to spend billions to replace it.

It's long been an argument of mine. We have a lot of our backyard to address before worrying about someone else's .

Get us out of the stupid wars and if Detroit needs more officers and equipment, let's use that money there. I'll accept a tax hike for this.
Detroit needs jobs, so as to enable productive citizens to become tax payers, and also encourage productive citizens to move to Detroit. The jobs left decades ago. Democraps didn't care. They said those jobs were not good enough anymore, and so many jobs went south, or left the country. Those jobs are good enough for the people working them now. Sucks to be you, Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 03:42 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times
Quote:
Now that is cleared up......Detroit asked the Obama administration for help and was rebuffed. Their tax base has largely left. More officers and cars cost money. Money that isn't there.

That said, I have supported the idea that if there are legitimate needs they should be met. I imagine that this is not simple hyperbole. When you are left with people with little to lose things can get bad.

We should have helped out Detroit as opposed to the Trillions to Wall Street. We should have helped Detroit out as opposed to starting stupid wars where we blow up bridges and then spend many times over to replace them.

We shouldn't destroy a armed force in another country and then have to spend billions to replace it.

It's long been an argument of mine. We have a lot of our backyard to address before worrying about someone else's .

Get us out of the stupid wars and if Detroit needs more officers and equipment, let's use that money there. I'll accept a tax hike for this.
The Democrats have run Detroit into the ground. They want more money that they will **** away. Corrupt city!!

Old 05-01-2017, 03:50 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Detroit needs jobs, so as to enable productive citizens to become tax payers, and also encourage productive citizens to move to Detroit. The jobs left decades ago. Democraps didn't care. They said those jobs were not good enough anymore, and so many jobs went south, or left the country. Those jobs are good enough for the people working them now. Sucks to be you, Detroit.
You wouldn't accept what the worker in China makes either.

Here we have a thread about the loss of life of people trying to do a job and you felt a pressing need to take a pot shot?

Old 05-01-2017, 03:51 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Yes, Detroit needs Republican intervention to help turn itself around. That has helped elsewhere in the state....just ask Flint.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
The Democrats have run Detroit into the ground. They want more money that they will **** away. Corrupt city!!
That really doesn't address the issue does it?

Old 05-01-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yes, Detroit needs Republican intervention to help turn itself around. That has helped elsewhere in the state....just ask Flint.
LOL...not really funny but a good point.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:53 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
You wouldn't accept what the worker in China makes either.

Here we have a thread about the loss of life of people trying to do a job and you felt a pressing need to take a pot shot?
It's not a pot shot. It's reality. Detroit did it to themselves.

I have nothing but respect for the men and women in blue who are forced to work under such circumstances. I know several. It is no picnic, and there are very few thank yous for the hard work they do. They are woefully underappreciated, and all too often the target of misdirected angst and frustration.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's not a pot shot. It's reality. Detroit did it to themselves.
Does that make these officers less dead?

Old 05-01-2017, 03:55 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
7 police officers shot or killed in line of duty in Detroit since Sept. - WXYZ.com

Detroit Has Fewest Cops Patrolling Streets In Nearly 100 Years « CBS Detroit

What a sad state of affairs that Detroit is in such denial over it's crime issue that they only have one patrol unit per precinct.

I feel sorry for the police officers that serve a city with a 3rd world crime rate. I venture to guess though that unlike other 3rd world cities that most of those 3rd world cities have more then one cop car patrolling a massive area of the city.

There has also been nearly a 70% reduction in the police department in Detroit.

I guess with the Mayor and Police Chief thinking one car per precinct is enough, that the criminals are extremely emboldened knowing only one police car is patrolling.

Yet, another Democratic mayor that feels the need to ignore the crime issues facing many inner-cities today with only police car per precinct.
You do realize that the "liberal" mayor could budget 20 cars per precinct, but if the city doesn't have the money, it makes no difference.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:02 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:

$300 Million in Detroit Aid, but No Bailout - The New York Times

"Two months after Detroit became the largest city ever to file for bankruptcy, top Obama administration officials will be there on Friday to propose nearly $300 million in combined federal and private aid toward a Motown comeback — only a fraction of the billions the city owes and a reflection of the budget and political limits on President Obama.

This first major infusion from the federal government, which administration officials say will not be the last, would be used to help clear and redevelop blighted properties, improve transportation systems, bolster the police — especially around schools — and overhaul city management systems wrecked by years of poor administration and inadequate resources.
Congress, preoccupied with reducing federal deficits, has been all but silent about helping the birthplace of the auto industry and, some say, of the American middle class. The Republican-controlled House is hostile to any spending initiatives from Mr. Obama.

In the Senate, two Southern Republicans separately and unsuccessfully proposed legislation intended to ban bailouts — Detroit leaders have not sought one — briefly churning the racial currents at play over a city where four out of five residents are black."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies