Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:35 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Schumer got us our newest SCOTUS approved. His antics made the nuclear option politically acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Schumer's OK. Too much of a camera hog, and too well-funded by healthcare and banking special interests.

I would say he's better liked downstate than upstate. He's a Brooklyn kid. He was just reelected by a ridiculous margin - Republicans didn't have anyone strong to run against him.

He's definitely very smart and well-connected. He's also recognized that although he's moderate, he needs to embrace the more progressive wing of the party.
He can't embrace the progressives. Those special interests own him. Actually they'll own anyone who's coming out of NYC/N NJ. Most likely change for the party is not going to be lead with people from NYC or San Francisco. Actually it's probably have to come from outside of the Bos-Wash corridor and California. Specail interest (especially financial) hold to much sway in those places.

It will be interesting to see what the party will looks like by 2020. Is it going to be more of the same (Clinton era politic)) Or will Bernie's message hold much more influence by the leading members of the Democratic Party? We'll see.

Also interested to see what senator Schumer's position on tax reform is. I have doubts about his constitution in this matter.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Schumer got us our newest SCOTUS approved. His antics made the nuclear option politically acceptable.
That was happening no matter what.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:55 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
He can't embrace the progressives. Those special interests own him. Actually they'll own anyone who's coming out of NYC/N NJ. Most likely change for the party is not going to be lead with people from NYC or San Francisco. Actually it's probably have to come from outside of the Bos-Wash corridor and California. Specail interest (especially financial) hold to much sway in those places.

It will be interesting to see what the party will looks like by 2020. Is it going to be more of the same (Clinton era politic)) Or will Bernie's message hold much more influence by the leading members of the Democratic Party? We'll see.

Also interested to see what senator Schumer's position on tax reform is. I have doubts about his constitution in this matter.
Tough to say on tax reform since we have so few details. But yes, I agree on banking and special interests and New York. Same thing with Gillibrand, although I like her. I like what I've seen from Schiff in CA, but I don't know enough about him yet. If the Russian probe goes well, it will be very good for him.

I'm interested to see which way the party goes. I think it will have to lean more progressive.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:56 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
*looks at last budget deal
*looks at all the failure in passing the repeal of the ACA
*looks at, etc etc etc

I dunno, you tell me?
Exactly..Schumer looks pretty darn effective to me:

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBABlBX?m=en-us

Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
That was happening no matter what.
Not sure, but I am 100% for it.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:33 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
NYC Schumer is the liberal leader from a very liberal city. He is hanging on by the liberal voters who have lost all their power. Liberals are so left they are the biggest losers as the Republicans gain seats in all branches of government.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Trump doesn't like him? GOOD. I really like Chuck Schumer and if Trump doesn't, that's a good thing. I would be concerned if Trump was saying how great he was. That would be cause for huge concern. As long as Trump doesn't like Schumer and Pelosi, they are representing the opposition.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:38 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Really? He got 70% of the NY State vote in the Senate election, easily defeating the competition... Trump can't even win the state he grew up in and only got 36% of the vote. Who did worse? Huh?

And he is doing just fine considering he's just part of the minority party so far... can we say the same of Trump's Repugs party which is supposedly in control but can't even get their act together to get the ACA repealed or introduce a decent tax reform?
And yet who is POTUS? Schumer could never win a general election presidential campaign.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And yet who is POTUS? Schumer could never win a general election presidential campaign.

Shrug. I would have said the same about Trump. So who knows, and honestly that's years away, it's not relevant to the discussion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies