Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:58 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
But these "cord cutters" must think that their cable service, and ESPN, are no longer worth paying for. How do you know for certain that ESPN taking on a more political tone isn't the reason, or at least one of the reasons, why these people think that ESPN is no longer worth paying for?
Those who are cord cutting are doing it because they can get much of the same content online for considerably lower costs. They are getting rid of cable all together not just one network.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
But these "cord cutters" must think that their cable service, and ESPN, are no longer worth paying for. How do you know for certain that ESPN taking on a more political tone isn't the reason, or at least one of the reasons, why these people think that ESPN is no longer worth paying for?
Because that is in the last year. You are basically asking to prove a negative. We can't prove exact numbers and percents. Sure it is a part for SOME cord cutters but I'm sure most didn't even watch sports anyway or complain about it being too much even if they do watch it. Just read on the frugal living forum about cord cutting for that exact reason.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:22 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
This has nothing to do with any form of political stance, and everything to do with the costs of doing business, in 2017.

Might I mind y'all that Shannon and Skip speak their political mind on Fox Sports, just as Stephen A talks on ESPN.

Do I prefer the networks talk sports? Yes! They are better at it than talking politics! For politics, I'll watch CSPAN! But everyone knows the costs have gone up, and someone, or something's gotta get cut!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:07 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
And some examples of how these "liberals" are killing it would be ????????
Giving Bruce Jenner the ESPY when there were farrrr more deserving actual sports figures.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:09 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
ESPN leftist bias is terrible, honoring Caitlyn Jenner at the Ashe Courage Award for heroism, endorsing Black Lives Matter at the ESPYS, firing Curt Schilling, praising kaepernick all the time, its constant leftist propaganda. I have pretty much had enough and removed them from the cable package and stopped my espn insider subscription.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
ESPN leftist bias is terrible, honoring Caitlyn Jenner at the Ashe Courage Award for heroism, endorsing Black Lives Matter at the ESPYS, firing Curt Schilling, praising kaepernick all the time, its constant leftist propaganda. I have pretty much had enough and removed them from the cable package and stopped my espn insider subscription.
The Caitlyn Jenner thing was silly. I'll give you that. Kaepernick, you heard both sides of on ESPN but I'll grant that it did seem more BLM is fine so I'll give you half credit for that.

Firing Curt Schilling though is different. He posted this on Facebook along with a disgusting meme.
Quote:
“A man is a man no matter what they call themselves. I don’t care what they are, who they sleep with, men’s room was designed for the penis, women’s not so much. Now you need laws telling us differently? Pathetic.”
He's a public figure who was contracted to ESPN, to act like he wouldn't get blowback from a stupid comment like that is more of a shade of grey than he wants to admit put Disney in a box to do something. He was also previously suspended for comparing ISIS to Nazies.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Just read an article at Bloomberg about the demise of ESPN.

They give every reason in the article except the main one...of why people are leaving them in droves.

People tune in to hear about sports and sports figures...mostly as it relates to sports.

They are tuning out because they don't want to hear any more political and politically correct nonsense.

I guess it's the tree in the forest analogy....

If we don't report it, did it happen?

Holy cow. Rafa Nadal would be impressived with the amount of spin you put on it.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:41 AM

858 posts, read 707,395 times
I've heard this reason before but i think it's nonsense. You have to cancel your cable completely to not pay for ESPN. that means you are cancelling Fox News too...TNT...AMC...Comedy Central...etc. That's cutting your nose off to spite your face. I think it's just a very simply case of people who do not watch sports seeing the benefit of getting their scripted shows with netflix or hulu and saving money in the process. I am an avid sports fan and I evaluate cutting the cord every 6 months or so. Since I am a sports fan, I look into getting NBA league pass and others and after adding all that on, the price is still very similar so I stay with cable.

ESPN has also lost its way. Sportscenter used to show highlights and now it's 1 highlight and then talking heads for 10 minutes about whether Lebron James is the best of all time.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:20 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Those who are cord cutting are doing it because they can get much of the same content online for considerably lower costs. They are getting rid of cable all together not just one network.
I'd bet that a lot of sports fans have cable mostly for sports coverage, and have watched ESPN for decades. If they've recently decided that they could do without it, I don't see how it's far-fetched to say that the station's recent change in focus and tone has something to do with it.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:25 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Because that is in the last year. You are basically asking to prove a negative. We can't prove exact numbers and percents. Sure it is a part for SOME cord cutters but I'm sure most didn't even watch sports anyway or complain about it being too much even if they do watch it. Just read on the frugal living forum about cord cutting for that exact reason.
But these people wouldn't have any effect on ESPN's ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies