Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 09:17 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
lmao. Here it is folks. The I'm too lazy to be a real parent so I want the tax payer to do it for me.
Is this what makes a lazy vs. non-lazy parent in your mind? Interesting.

And don't get too excited about the rep point you got for this post. That was me accidentally clicking the quick rep button. I guess I was being a lazy forum user there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 09:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But as it were there wasnt an abundance of junk food at school anyway, no chips, no sodas. I agree better quality of foods, better cooks. That is what they should focus on.

Thing is they are still getting the same stuff basically (my school district. I cant speak for others). Bugers, pizza, corn dogs, corn nuggets (what ever the heck that is). Now its just skim milk instead of whole or 2%, WG pasta, bread, pancakes, breading, etc. , soy instead of real butter. So any increase in nutritional value is canceled out because many wont eat that anymore than they will eat cheap nasty food.
My kids' school gets better sounding stuff (stuffed tacos stuffed with beef and veggies...). It is just so unappealing in its preparation that the kids go to the sandwich and salad stations. Since the farm to school program, the salad stations are apparently better.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:24 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I disagree. I think that five solids a week can provide a lot of nutrition. It does need to appeal to children through.

( my kids were in a high school where we just put money on their books, and they bought whatever they wanted from the cafeteria including pizza and soda every day, if they chose- and they did)
Not if they dont eat it. Im talking long term. I think for the most part as adults we acquired most of our nutritional habits from home. We acquired a taste for certain foods. These things stick with us although as we mature and experience new things and have better understandings we may deviate. All that greatly out shadows that one lunch we eat at school.

Quote:
A fast meal that I used to give my kids was a grilled cheese with a tomato basil soup, a big side of cut up fruit and a small green salad. Milk to drink. I figured even if they ate junk the rest of the day, I could stuff them full of basic nutrients at dinner.
Thats exactly what I'm saying. Most importantly is the meals you are providing for you kids on a regular basis. That whole grain pasta, fat free sauce and skim milk they got at lunch isnt going to have much influence over what/how kids eat at home or throughout their life.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The sugar and corn lobbyists couldn't be happier.
Absolutely and don't forget about the dairy lobby!

I remember going to my son's elementary school to eat lunch with him (this was before Obama). Lunch was greasy chicken nuggets (mystery meat) and super greasy fries. Choclate milk was served in a plastic pouch that they put their straws through.

It was DISGUSTING.

From that day forward, I packed his lunch until he went to middle school where it was no longer cool.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:27 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
We're raising a generation of fat, unhealthy children and that's your response? That if children don't get their chocolate milk every day they will starve? Do you try to sound stupid, or does it come naturally to you?
Sugar content between white and chocolate milk is the same.

So is starving kids better?

Old 05-03-2017, 09:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
They always had ice cream at the schools my kids went to.

You know some of those flavored milks have buckets of sugar in them - here kids have a soda.

Plain milk and water is what my pediatrician told me. My kids were prone to allergies and milk is so hard to digest....so they chose water most of the time. We eat so healthy that they get enough of what vitamins are in milk from other food.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:30 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Chocolate milk was allowed with Michele Obama's plan but it had to be chocolate skim milk. The Trump modification now allows chocolate 1% milk rather than only chocolate skim.

Regular white milk (non flavored) allowed both skim milk and 1% milk under Michelle Obama's plan and this hasn't been changed.

Trump plan is still not allowing 2% milk or whole milk.

The whole grain rule is still in effect with the new Trump plan but schools can ask for an exemption. Whole grain foods generally cost more. If schools want to cut budgets, switching away from whole grain products could see some cost savings.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Sugar content between white and chocolate milk is the same.

So is starving kids better?
Typically, there is sugar added to chocolate milk when sold as chocolate milk. Michelle Obama's plan also called for them to reduce the added sugar in the chocolate milk (but not totally cut it out).

Old 05-03-2017, 09:33 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
They weren't getting terrible junk food before. Man did you get chocolate, candy and ice cream for lunch when you were in school?
Yup. There were ice cream cup and candy options for dessert. But more objectionable were things like corn dogs, pizza dripping in grease (and pizza is not even necessarily a bad food), burgers that had no actual food quality and a ton of condiments...

Quote:
They get basically the same stuff they have always gotten. I do like that there is more choices and more fresh fruit opposed to canned fruit or other deserts.
What is being proposed is some flexibility for individual school districts so they dont have to stringently stick to specific requirements to maintain funding.
My kids' school does not get basically what they have always gotten.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Typically, there is sugar added to chocolate milk when sold as chocolate milk. Michelle Obama's plan also called for them to reduce the added sugar in the chocolate milk (but not totally cut it out).
T-310 believes children will starve if they aren't allowed chocolate milk. He effective answered my question in post #11. It's apparent that the answer is it comes naturally to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies