Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:26 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The House just passed a bill that affects overtime pay - May. 2, 2017

Under the new law, employers would be able to compensate hourly employees with paid time off, instead of time-and-a half pay. An employer would be able to compensate an employee who worked five extra hours by having him take two-hour lunch breaks the following week.

"in which the employer has offered and the employee has chosen to receive compensatory time in lieu of monetary overtime compensation; and entered into knowingly and voluntarily by such employees and not as a condition of employment."

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...-bill/801/text

You think there is someone out there that doesn't know how to say, "No thanks boss, I'll take the cash!"?

Personally, I think an extra day off because I worked 5 hours and 20 minutes overtime the week before is a great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 06:32 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Well, who said Republicans cared about the middle class anyway? This is just the tip of the iceberg. They can't wait to really impact the middle class with their new tax laws. You know who they will benefit? The top tier of course. More trickle down in a different spin....

Old 05-03-2017, 06:42 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
What business of yours is it to disagree with my opinion. It would effect me when the employer says hey pk is doing this stupid thing I want you to do the same stupid thing. You have a choice is to work for less like pk or I will cut your hours.

It will happen.
Then turn them in and get a big settlement.

Yours is a straw man. Someone can say "so and so is working this weekend without pay, I want you to also". Are you going to?

Because there will always be someone willing to bend the law, that means others should not get choice?

Old 05-03-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
You have the option. You can negotiate to be salaried as an exempt employee where comp time is legal.
No I can't. There are no salaried jobs.

Quote:
If they know what your average annual earnings are I don't see why you couldn't negotiate a salary.

Non-exempt employees are guaranteed OT over 40 hours. This would undermine this provision in the FLSA.
No it wouldn't. It would simply give people a *choice*. As it is, I'm not getting OT anyway as I turn it down. I would work a Tuesday to get a Saturday off though.

Quote:
I'm somewhat indifferent since it probably won't affect me since our OT standards in our contract are higher than the FLSA's. We get OT over 8 hours, 1.5 all day Saturday, and double time Sundays and holidays, all regardless if we've reached 40 hours or not.
I get paid 1.5 on Sundays also even though it is not over 40 hours. I work two 48 hour weeks with the 8 being OT. OT for two Sundays. As Obama stated, I make enough, I'm fine, I want the time off. Technically I could work a Tuesday, take a Sunday off and I'm getting 1.5 pay for staying home.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:48 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Pretty obvious what Republicans intend to do. They dream of taking us back to The Gilded Age before the forty hour week, minimum wage, OSHA, etc. They are hellbent on rolling back all worker protections put in place since FDR. In other words, virtual slavery.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:51 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This hourly employee would rather have the time off. I've stated this over and over and over and over.

.....and you were wrong then and you're wrong now.Hourly workers want cash money,there is no guarantee the owner will ever give him the opportunity to use his comp hours.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:54 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The fed guv should stay out out of employer/employee negotiations.
If you can't trust the Boss then they need to step in.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:55 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
.....and you were wrong then and you're wrong now.Hourly workers want cash money,there is no guarantee the owner will ever give him the opportunity to use his comp hours.
And under this bill the employee has to request compensatory time. It cannot be imposed upon him by the employer.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:56 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Then turn them in and get a big settlement.

Yours is a straw man. Someone can say "so and so is working this weekend without pay, I want you to also". Are you going to?

Because there will always be someone willing to bend the law, that means others should not get choice?
So stupid is as stupid does and is willing to work for less against their own best interests.
It's a stupid choice. One where as an hourly worker you lose, earning's, time or the job. Then try to find and finance the lawsuit against that employer.

The Math does not lie its a loss for the worker. The employer gets free work.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
So stupid is as stupid does and is willing to work for less against their own best interests.
It's a stupid choice. One where as an hourly worker you lose, earning's, time or the job. Then try to find and finance the lawsuit against that employer.

The Math does not lie its a loss for the worker. The employer gets free work.
I worked the math. If I work Tuesday but take Saturday off, what is the difference and how does that affect you or make it any of your business?

I work M-T-W-Th this week. I am off until the following F-S-S-M. If I work Tuesday and then take next Saturday off, when I would rather be off, it's a wash. I'm ahead as I get a day off I would rather have. Or I could take Sunday off to be with the family and get paid 1.5 times for being off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies