Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 02:43 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
So exactly what source are you suggesting has the best information on healthy eating? Five years ago everyone, including the government was telling us that High Carb, Low Fat diets were the healthy way to eat. Now they're saying just the opposite. Ask 20 experts on what constitutes healthy eating and you'll get 20, wildly different, often conflicting menus to pick from.

I'm not saying we can't improve our eating habits. But this post is just another example of someone ignorant of the facts stereotyping the problem and over-simplifying the solution. Just like everyone on food stamps or public welfare is a lazy drug user scamming the system. Or all liberals are just interested in sitting at home and letting the government take care of them. Or all women who seek an abortion are simply too lazy to practice birth control.

How about trying to put a little context around things and not just spout some homegrown philosophy to show the internet how wise and level headed you are!

Skeptical
Diet fads come and go - moderation (portion control) is probably where we go the most wrong in America. Look at Europeans - they actually eat pretty unhealthy meals. But their food quantities are much lower than what we get here.

Couple all of that with the processed foods (full of preservatives and tons of sodium) that we eat more and more (vs. freshly-cooked food), and you can see why Americans, despite diet fad after diet fad, are still getting fatter.

Exercising (which can be as simple as just walking more) is also an enormous factor - but there are legitimate points to be made on the food consumption side of the debate to explain why our overall health as a nation is so terrible.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
The tone is a little off, but I kind of agree. I take great pains to exercise vigorously and frequently, watch everything that goes down my throat, have never had a prescription, and don't own a television. Only times I've dealt with the medical complex were a dislocated finger in 2009 (which was a debacle I've written about before and which, if something like it happened again, I would just deal with myself) and a vasectomy in 2015.
How do you account for type 1 diabetes?

I have a friend who works out like crazy, is probably a size 2-4 in women's (she's small) and she's got type 1 diabetes.

Did she get that from not taking care of herself?

Nope.

What about mental disorders? People don't get those from not exercising or eating healthy foods.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
How do you account for type 1 diabetes?

I have a friend who works out like crazy, is probably a size 2-4 in women's (she's small) and she's got type 1 diabetes.

Did she get that from not taking care of herself?

Nope.

What about mental disorders? People don't get those from not exercising or eating healthy foods.
If it's Type 1, then she probably was born with it as there is a genetic component to it.

Type 2 (also known as "adult onset diabetes") that is more associated with diet, and is generally preventable by maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
You can eat well and exercise all you want, but it still costs a lot of money to have surgery for a ruptured appendix, or a cesarean section for a baby who is in distress.

So, yeah... we need healthcare reform.

Period.
Not to mention physical problems that can occur when one vigorously pats oneself on the back.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:50 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscusharry View Post
educate themselves on good nutrition and health. You are your own best doctor. I know more about nutritional science than the average western medicine MD. Follow the money trail. Take control of your own health. The Standard American Diet combined with over medication prescription is your greatest health risk going forward. Nutritionally dense foods and exercise will lead to elimination of almost all prescription drugs.
I already said what they should do healthcare should be like car insurance if you're a fat slob and smoke you pay more than someone that doesn't. If you can run a mile in 10 minutes you pay less than someone that can't. If you never turn in a claim, you pay less than someone that doesn't. We all know this will never happen though because a bunch of morons will whine. Blood pressure, diabetes, lots of other things can be controlled through diet, natural herbs, and exercise.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
If it's Type 1, then she probably was born with it as there is a genetic component to it.

Type 2 (also known as "adult onset diabetes") that is more associated with diet, and is generally preventable by maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle.
Of course. It's Type 1. That's why I mentioned it. Does not fall under the assumptions being made in this thread.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
You can eat well and exercise all you want, but it still costs a lot of money to have surgery for a ruptured appendix, or a cesarean section for a baby who is in distress.

So, yeah... we need healthcare reform.

Period.
and genetics.

I know a great man who was a doctor who was healthy, slim....died in his sleep from a heart attack.

He managed stress, he was a happy man with a lovely life. Loved music, travel, just one of those guys everyone loves.

In his sleep......gone.

Stuff happens. Look at that Bob guy - - the trainer from the Biggest Loser -- he's obsessed with fitness - he had a heart attack.

Stuff happens.

good lifestyle won't stop someone from getting cancer.

Stuff happens.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:59 PM

152 posts, read 186,092 times
Unfortunately, many, if not most chronic health problems come in your 50's or 60's, after many, many years of poor health habits. There are many factors that go into a person's health habits, including income, number of working parents, household expenses, and free time. Most of the damage is done at a time when people are least concerned about it and have a lot more pressing issues in their lives.

Skeptical

Old 05-03-2017, 03:11 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscusharry View Post
educate themselves on good nutrition and health. You are your own best doctor. I know more about nutritional science than the average western medicine MD. Follow the money trail. Take control of your own health. The Standard American Diet combined with over medication prescription is your greatest health risk going forward. Nutritionally dense foods and exercise will lead to elimination of almost all prescription drugs.
and yet your "you are responsible " method has failed for generations. so we can safely say "NOPE"

the real trick is culture. And it takes many years, lots of money and hard work but it can be done. There are plenty of examples of state run programs shifting the dail.

but i guess you would rather pretend that somehow just saying " get off your butt" will work when it has been proven the worst method possible. Culture is key, not worshipping thinness, but making activity part of everyday life.

public transit is a huge help in reducing weight, intervention preventive care, there is a bunch of stuff that helps but your mantra has failed as much as "low fat" has failed.

this whole notion that the public are responsible for all its woes is just silly. the public lives in a skinner box, they are abused left and right by "freedom of speech" , by trillions of dollars worth of daily brainwashing.

and then they are at fault for falling victim to it. rubbish i say rubbish.

those airways belong to the public and should serve the PUBLIC not corporations, as such there is no reasonable case to allow us to be bombarded daily while not providing a nickel to offset that abuse .

maybe the real answer if to just double the price of all consumer ads with 50% going to a fund to make our nation a better place .

Old 05-03-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Of course. It's Type 1. That's why I mentioned it. Does not fall under the assumptions being made in this thread.

Ah - that is my mistake. I misunderstood your post. Now I understand your intent.

Yes, there are cases where people take care of themselves and still get diseases for various reasons (usually genetically-based), irrespective of their overall health level.

Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies