Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 04:17 PM

418 posts, read 564,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Hang on - you are now mixing metaphors!

We were talking FMLA, paid vacations, paid sick leave etc.

When you say the government pays for part of it, who is the government? Who is really paying for all of this is the taxpayers - come on, lets be honest.

Also, the op raised the issue about the small employer - what to do if that employer only have one or two employees. Who / how is that employer to deal with the employee gone, paid, for an extended period? Who is going to pay for the replacement / temporary worker?

And, we don't know that a UHI scheme would be, in fact, cheaper in the US.
Like i said, VAT, payroll taxes etc. It is collected and paid for.

The employer does not pay for maternity leave, it is funded as i said.

The question is, IF I pay as much taxes here, and even more in some cases, WHERE does it go?

Most countries in Europe have no real estate tax. It's a big burden here.
Sales tax is hidden, where does it go?

As i said, i'd gladly pay tax if i KNOW i'll benefit from it.

As for UHI, we don't know... BUT it could be, if organized properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 04:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
The employer does not pay for maternity leave, it is funded as i said.
In other words, the taxpayers pay for it.

Quote:
The question is, IF I pay as much taxes here, and even more in some cases, WHERE does it go?

Most countries in Europe have no real estate tax. It's a big burden here.
Sales tax is hidden, where does it go?
Real estate taxes are generally localized - usually by Township or County. Usually those taxes are collected and distributed to pay for things like Schools, Librarys, Fire departments, Police Departments, Public Medical facilities, Parks, Local governmental salaries etc.

Sales taxes are not "hidden" - it shows up on the receipt you get. Those taxes, usually charged by a locale (ie a city) go for localized things like stadiums, city improvements, airport improvements etc

Old 03-11-2008, 04:21 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Greatday wrote:
I have to agree with Acupunk - your idea, while well meaning, is not realistic.
Believing that an idea doesn't seem realistic is no reason for not making it happen! It's just another excuse to perpetuate the myth of a Health Care system in America, when in fact there is no Health Care system. The great Health Care debate is a distraction to maintain the status quo and keep the money roilling into the coffers of the AMA, big Pharma, and the Insurance companies without doing a damn thing to improve anyones health. It seems like pure insanity to keep the same flawed treatment system in place while arguing about who should pay for it. I've seen absolutely no proposals from anyone in congress that will improve anyones health in any way. It's still all about treating disease after the fact.
MD/DO physicians are the most trained in treating acute, possibly life threatening conditions, but you suggest removing them from their positions in primary care. That is a bad idea, and I can speak for many of those practitioners and tell you that they don't want that. Physicians do need to place more emphasis on preventive care and integrate holistic health into their practices, in my experience many of them are doing just that. Insurance reforms will make this even more commonplace. No one is going to approve removing MDs from primary care. Do you want a chiropractor for an ER doc? I sure don't and few people are more interested in holistic health than me.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,573 times
"Real estate taxes are generally localized - usually by Township or County. Usually those taxes are collected and distributed to pay for things like Schools, Librarys, Fire departments, Police Departments, Public Medical facilities, Parks, Local governmental salaries etc.

Sales taxes are not "hidden" - it shows up on the receipt you get. Those taxes, usually charged by a locale (ie a city) go for localized things like stadiums, city improvements, airport improvements etc"

And these local taxes are going up rapidly, to make up for the federal tax cuts. This is part of the issue here, but a whole
'nuther thread. All services except fire and (7 police depts for 13k in cty) paramilitary are being cut. I was vol fire when we had to have a "breakfast" to buy a needed nozzle or such. Now, mandated federal terror training, with lots of dollars for anything needed or not. No money for schools or local health.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:48 PM

418 posts, read 564,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In other words, the taxpayers pay for it.

Real estate taxes are generally localized - usually by Township or County. Usually those taxes are collected and distributed to pay for things like Schools, Librarys, Fire departments, Police Departments, Public Medical facilities, Parks, Local governmental salaries etc.

Sales taxes are not "hidden" - it shows up on the receipt you get. Those taxes, usually charged by a locale (ie a city) go for localized things like stadiums, city improvements, airport improvements etc
Of course, JUST as in US, and in every other country on the world...

But if you were an ordinary worker, and married a girl, wouldn't you want her to have time with that baby? and also have stable income through that time?

It doesn't matter if they are localised or not... WHAT matters is ALL in ALL tax I pay.

Federal and state combined.

And yeah, corporate tax in Europe is lower than in USA. I think only Japan has higher corp taxes than USA...

It goes from 14% to 30 and smth% i think, depending on country.

When i said sales tax is hidden, i meant on prices. I want to know when and how much something costs me BEFORE receipt.

Again, it does not matter to who collects real estate taxes... i have to pay.

Add to that premiums, daycare, infant care, university etc. and you'll see it eats up a lot of income.

While premium isn't "tax", it takes away my income. Same with other.

Funny thing, sales tax isn't working... in richest state of CT, there is poorest town, hartford. Roads are third world in some places, bulidings are falling apart... 30% of people in poverty.

Seems that taxes don't seem to fund schools properly.

ONE thing I will say is gas. For sure, THAT is taxed MUCH less in USA.

It doesn't help, though... distances are much bigger, public transport is lacking, and cars use more of it.

Therefore, i spend MORE on gas here, even though it's cheaper.

That's one thing i complained on back there

Old 03-11-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Of course, JUST as in US, and in every other country on the world...

But if you were an ordinary worker, and married a girl, wouldn't you want her to have time with that baby? and also have stable income through that time?
Look - I have no problem with providing maternity leave - but, I do oppose having the taxpayers foot the bill by providing her income merely because she had a baby.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:00 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
1: Are you For or Against universal health care? Strongly against it.

2: How many of those who are against universal health care have lived in a country WITH universal health care? If so where? What was your experience? I never have. US citizen all my life.

2B: If your above answer was 'yes':were your taxes dramatically higher than your current taxes? Doesn't apply to me.

3: How many of you have a serious illness or have a close family member with a serious illness? My dad died from multiple myeloma last year. It's a blood cancer. Only around 2 out of 10 people live past 5 years with it.

4: How many of you have lost jobs that have left you without health insurance even for a short period? I'm only 17. I've never held a job because I've always had to take care of things at home. I have a little sister. My mom has lost a job, but my dad was covering health insurance, so we were ok.

5: How many of you have watched Michael Moore's; Sicko? I know lots of people love to hate Michael Moore so I'm not looking for posts bashing Michael Moore - just wondering if you watched Sicko. The only thing I know about Michael Moore is that people criticize him a lot. I have never paid attention to him nor do I know anything about him.

6: Have any of you filed bankruptcy due to unforseen medical expenses (either with or without health insurance). No

7: ** I MADE UP THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES** Do you consider yourself to be 'rich'(household income $200,000/year plus), 'middle class'(household income $50,000 - $200,000/ year) or 'poor'(houshold income under $50,000/ year)? Do these sound like fair categorizations?
On your scale, I would be considered poor, but I think your numbers are off. I would consider poor under $35,000.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
When i said sales tax is hidden, i meant on prices. I want to know when and how much something costs me BEFORE receipt.

Again, it does not matter to who collects real estate taxes... i have to pay.

Add to that premiums, daycare, infant care, university etc. and you'll see it eats up a lot of income.

While premium isn't "tax", it takes away my income. Same with other.

Funny thing, sales tax isn't working... in richest state of CT, there is poorest town, hartford. Roads are third world in some places, bulidings are falling apart... 30% of people in poverty.
Honestly - I have not a clue what point you are trying to get to -

Taxes and daycare and university are all costs of life. You go out, get a job, and pay what you have to pay to live.

I am not going to expect the government - the people of this country, to pay for all of my expenses - I make money and I spend money.

As for how the monies are spent - that is up to each locale. I know little, if anything about CT so I cannot address your specific comments about them. I doubt seriously though that all the buildings are falling apart. And, like other states, I would also imagine that some of the rural roads may be a little rough. Here in Az, we have many roads that are dirt roads and get a little rough after storms.

The point remains, I cannot support a government sponsored / paid program to provide paid health insurance, paid vacations, paid sick leaves or paid maternity leave.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
All services except fire and (7 police depts for 13k in cty) paramilitary are being cut. I was vol fire when we had to have a "breakfast" to buy a needed nozzle or such. Now, mandated federal terror training, with lots of dollars for anything needed or not.
I don't have a taxpayer funded fire department available to me

Old 03-11-2008, 05:11 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
I agree the numbers are off. 50,000/yr is more than the median so it can't be poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies