Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 10:20 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,173,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Thanks I am over the privacy issue. LOL so Far I am in remission lol for 2 whole months.
That's great news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
I know... i have had some experience with the system.

Aren't the doctors then becoming slaves to corporate profiteers(insurers, pharma)? And that this ties their hands?

Against the oath, as i see it.
Yes, it's unfortunate. I wish everyone had the best care.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 PM

418 posts, read 562,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
No treatment is free except few charity clinics. People can got to the ER, but you still receive a bill. There is no way to provide free care in this country unless you can get a grant for a free clinic.
And therein lies the problem... ! I know that...

In all the other countries i've been in contact with medical system, NOT one is like this.

Doctors help patients on their decisions, without interference. They help them as much as they can with what they have.

To me, THIS is respecting the oath they gave.

I know it is not possible here. Don't doctors then feel really bad? I know i would...

Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,267,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't seem to have a lot of compassion.

I am talking about lifestyle/cosmetic surgery not being covered, I never imagined that would be so controversial...
I live my life in the best and healthiest way possible so that if anything does happen to me, I have the best kind of medical insurance I can afford. I don't expect anyone to have to 'bail me out' of life choices I've made.
I have loads of compassion...I donate to the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association and othe charities through the United Way. I just think that we should all be able to choose our charities and not be forced to have 'charitable compassion' through forced medical coverage such as socialized medicine.
As I've said before on this thread, I would love to see educational/preventative health care covered for children, but for adults, I think we're all on our own.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,155,989 times
I would say doctors are caught in a no win situation. Med school cost so much that it takes a good portion of their professional careers to repay the debt. Insurance premiums are a killer, and health insurance second guessing all decisions.
example: My autistic daughter developed a phobia about fluids. Refused to drink anything..... Medical doctors all agreed she needed an in hospital stay at a treatment facility geared towards autism. Shrinks agreed... How often does this happen???
Med. Insurance said no way... Mental health insurance said it was physical.... No way....
Instead she came home with me. 2 sisters who are RN's my wife and I nursed her back to health, battled the phobia and did it ourselves.
Yeah I hate insurance companies. But I hate socialized care more. I have relatives in Canada. One with cancer simular to mine. They got to sleep in a hall way of a hospital with 2 floors closed to save costs.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
Thanks, I was using only logic because it can't be argued, but I have tremendous compassion for my patients, and I find those judgments disgusting.
Sorry to disgust you, but these problems have costs. At what point do we say, hey, this is just too expensive? It's a drag to be the grinch, but we don't have bottomless wallets.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,153,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sorry to disgust you, but these problems have costs. At what point do we say, hey, this is just too expensive? It's a drag to be the grinch, but we don't have bottomless wallets.
We don't say "it's too expensive"

We do, what needs to be done

Period

Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We don't say "it's too expensive"

We do, what needs to be done

Period
Who is 'we'?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
And therein lies the problem... ! I know that...

In all the other countries i've been in contact with medical system, NOT one is like this.

Doctors help patients on their decisions, without interference. They help them as much as they can with what they have.

To me, THIS is respecting the oath they gave.

I know it is not possible here. Don't doctors then feel really bad? I know i would...
I think many doctors do feel bad, but it's hard, everyone just wants to help people and make a living.

I practice acupuncture so it's a little different because my tools(needles, electric therapy...)are not expensive. The other practitioners in my area charge $75-$100 and if insurance covers it at all, it usually only covers 8-10 treatments per year.

What I have done is removed all the extra expenses and offer group treatments on a sliding scale. I don't require proof of income. I let people choose where on they scale they feel they are, and explain that the people who pay more help keep me in business for the lower income people. Most people choose to pay on the higher end of the scale if they can. Everyone loves it. People will choose to help others if given the chance. I know family practitioners who have similar practices, it would be more difficult with surgery or some specialty where the tools or staff are very expensive.

I should also add people who practice like me make as much money as the ones with high fees because we have so many more patients.

Last edited by detshen; 03-13-2008 at 10:50 PM..

Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 PM

418 posts, read 562,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I would say doctors are caught in a no win situation. Med school cost so much that it takes a good portion of their professional careers to repay the debt. Insurance premiums are a killer, and health insurance second guessing all decisions.
example: My autistic daughter developed a phobia about fluids. Refused to drink anything..... Medical doctors all agreed she needed an in hospital stay at a treatment facility geared towards autism. Shrinks agreed... How often does this happen???
Med. Insurance said no way... Mental health insurance said it was physical.... No way....
Instead she came home with me. 2 sisters who are RN's my wife and I nursed her back to health, battled the phobia and did it ourselves.
Yeah I hate insurance companies. But I hate socialized care more. I have relatives in Canada. One with cancer simular to mine. They got to sleep in a hall way of a hospital with 2 floors closed to save costs.
EVERY data available shows that MORE people die here, THAN anywhere in west else, due to such medical system. All the health indicators show the same.

One could always find a way to speak about one guy, this or that, BUT it is a fact people here die because of pharma/inusrers greed. Many are refused care, many die waiting... many don't have money.

For whatever reasons, US HC system spends the most, and ranks on the sole bottom of west. Numbers don't lie here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies