Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 05:37 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,552,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Cruel to the poor? This is the Democrat's version of compassion.
Do you also have a picture of the Republican version: a homeless veteran sleeping in a cardboard box under an overpass?

Old 05-04-2017, 05:38 AM

35,479 posts, read 20,841,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The GOP isn't keeping poor people poor. The Democrats keep poor people poor so they will continue to vote for them. The left is cruel to the poor. And Salon is a rag.
No the reps right there-- they own 70 % of the jobs or industries--

Old 05-04-2017, 05:42 AM

88,721 posts, read 44,496,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Socioeconomic mobility is higher in evil leftist California than it is in conservative utopia North Carolina.

http://www.economist.com/news/united...ility-measured
How very odd, then, that California has 34% of the US Welfare population when only 12% of the US population lives there.

California is the welfare capital - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 05-04-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Actually I'm being generous. Do you think people are eating steak and lobster at these places? lol. Food pantries survive on donations and what they have on hand. They are often low or out of of food until they get enough money to buy more, so you will be lucky if you can score a few cans of food when you get there. And there is a limit for each person, ie: three cans of food at a time for each person.
You are over-generalizing. While I do not think that the hungry should depend on the whims of charity to eat, you are incorrect about most food pantries. There are many that do not provide fresh foods, simply because they lack a way to store them, but others do offer them, particularly if they are affiliated with a community garden of some kind. I have never heard of one that only gave each person three cans of food. There is a limit, yes, but then, they were not intended to be a primary source of nutrition for anyone, which is why we still need programs like SNAP.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:48 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,919,102 times
Follow the money.

If you are beholden to the wealthiest most powerful sections of society, you will serve their interests. And the interests of the ruling donor class is to eliminate the public safety net including the support for the disabled, the sick, the poor and the elderly. Their greed is like a drug to them. It never ends. They then try to convince working stiffs that they are on the same team together and some working class folks buy into it.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I can only assume you live in a very liberal area where people don't believe in donating food to the poor.

Here in Houston, I used to work for Cameron. Cameron encouraged employees to do volunteer work, and I went several days a year on work days to do volunteer work at food pantries. Houston food pantries are nothing like what you describe.

Additionally, at our monthly Cub Scout pack meetings, we donate lots of food to the local food pantry, operated by the local church. I went and dropped off the donations a couple of times, and their pantry is quite large and diverse. We also do two food drives a year as a pack.

Like I said, it might be quite different in more liberal cities.
I called out cisco kid a moment ago. Now it's your turn.

Please don't claim that liberals are, as a whole, unwilling to donate food. You are better than that.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
This business of the poor, makes me ill. Obama and the dems created a class of people turned into Generational Welfare. Helping people is one thing but making a career of figuring which program is for you is said and destroys peoples souls.
Wow, so Obama created the poor? That's right up there with Gore's creation of the Internet!

Old 05-04-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I honestly don't believe it is willful hatred of the poor, as much as it is perpetually clinging to an ideology. My local Congressman made the media rounds a couple weeks ago for telling a woman at a townhall that if her retail-working son wanted good insurance, he needed to find a better job. No compassion or understand in the least, but I also don't think it was malicious intent. They simply do not live in reality and will take their ideology to any extreme without regard to how many it affects in the real world.
I tend, maybe, to agree with you, but would add this: someone has to do the crummy jobs. Even if every single person in this country had a PhD, someone would have to do the crummy jobs. Is it too much to ask that those doing them make enough money to feed themselves and their kids, have a decent roof overhead, and be able to see a doctor?

Either way, the fact that it is not willful hatred does not make the end result less cruel.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:05 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,632,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
I get the same vibe from a lot of posters here. Poor people aren't lazy unmotivated wanting to live off the dole as implied. Ironic, Ryan lived on 'gov support' from his dad himself. Plenty of rich kids live off their parents boozing drugging and not telling what else They have no direction. but I guess that's OK huh? Help is help. Pulling yourself up by the boot strpa isn't simple. Its' time to stop demonizing the poor.

https://www.salon.com/2017/03/23/why...rce=newsletter
I do believe the media would be important if they actually did research instead of just regurgitating what they are told. Almost all the reporting is exactly the same, and that is worthless.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:07 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,632,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
I get the same vibe from a lot of posters here. Poor people aren't lazy unmotivated wanting to live off the dole as implied. Ironic, Ryan lived on 'gov support' from his dad himself. Plenty of rich kids live off their parents boozing drugging and not telling what else They have no direction. but I guess that's OK huh? Help is help. Pulling yourself up by the boot strpa isn't simple. Its' time to stop demonizing the poor.

https://www.salon.com/2017/03/23/why...rce=newsletter
You want the lifestyle of the middle class? Do as they do.

Take out huge debt to pay for college, buy a house, car and other things you need or want, work to pay the bills generated by these things and while you're at it pay taxes to subsidize everyone else while they keep b*tching at you because the people who are subsidized want more.

You got to look at it from other people's point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies