Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and why is that???/
Because it's the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 07:17 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There have long been programs for those with mental conditions. She should have taken advantage of them.
She tried. Many, many, many times. She never qualified for any kind of assistance. As I said, they are mild mental conditions, enough to make it difficult for her at times but not severe enough to qualify for any type of aid. I'm sure there are millions of working poor who struggle this way.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:19 AM

448 posts, read 365,601 times
this was a dumb ass statement. Says the guy how gets a life time pension and health care paid for by the people he wants to take health care away from. What an idiot. I voted Trump but they will not win if next election if they keep doing this crap.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
She tried. Many, many, many times. She never qualified for any kind of assistance. As I said, they are mild mental conditions, enough to make it difficult for her at times but not severe enough to qualify for any type of aid. I'm sure there are millions of working poor who struggle this way.
Thanks.....there are.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:37 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There have long been programs for those with mental conditions. She should have taken advantage of them.
Mental health services for people without insurance or medicaid generally consist of evaluation at a County crisis center, they determine if you are acutely psychotic, or in danger of harming yourself or others- if you don't meet that criteria you aren't eligible for services. I don't know of any City or County where an uninsured person without insurance or medicaid can receive anything other than crisis intervention services.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Mental health services for people without insurance or medicaid generally consist of evaluation at a County crisis center, they determine if you are acutely psychotic, or in danger of harming yourself or others- if you don't meet that criteria you aren't eligible for services. I don't know of any City or County where an uninsured person without insurance or medicaid can receive anything other than crisis intervention services.
Jams is correct that there are people with problems that are not severe enough to get any sort of classification but still negatively affect people in their everyday life. Some more than others and they do fall through the cracks. We needs to close the cracks as best as we can.

If everyone is covered there is no need to try and fit people into our boxes.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:26 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
With that said, what are your thoughts on the people that had similar hardships to deal with because Obamacare forced them to pay anywhere from 44% to 289% more for their healthcare by insisting on "essential benefits" and eliminating their plans. How about the 10% that weren't covered by the government or their employers having their premiums double since 2013? The knife cuts both way. And single payer would cost millions of people substantially more, so that's no solution either.
My thoughts? Any type of Health Insurance the government comes up with, is not about people's health nor insurance. More over the requirement that every one must carry health insurance is unconstitutional in that it takes a person's choice away. In comparison to the mandate that every one who owns a car, must carry car insurance, a person doesn't have to buy a car. A person can make some lifestyle changes in that they may live and take a job that is on a mass transit route. A person can opt out of owning a car, but a person can not opt out of owning their body.

The only way a person can opt out of buying Health Insurance is through poverty. That, tells me, not about people's health. Some one will benefit, but I don't believe that someone is us.

Before the enactment of the welfare, safety net programs, the U.S. citizen didn't look to the government for assistance. They looked to each other for assistance. It wasn't until (rough estimate) 13 million people became unemployed, homeless and impoverished, not to mention the Bonus Army having needs, did that all change.

These programs may help an old person get health care, they may help the low income buy food, they may help the unemployed and retired buy goods and services, however, guess what else they do. They prop up the markets with funds that wouldn't be there if the programs where not there to put money back into the supply and demand. (the government is manipulating the market)

So what were you asking about the double (Obamacare) in insurance costs? Follow the money and find its real benefactors. SS and medicare are broke, we know this as its common knowledge, however, we need a Snowden of a different kind to confirm that which we believe (have believed) the government robs peter to pay paul and has rendered those two programs useless.

The story of the family (that I read 40 years ago) is a sad tale in that they lost everything they owned due to health costs. The stories coming up out of the Great Depression are equally sad, in that people lost everything they owned. Thousands lived in card board boxes.

However, before the government got involved we still had more choices on how to spend the money we earn.

Government health insurance is military style health care and I know that well. A person can not choose the hospital they go to for treatment or the clinic for regular check ups or the doctor they trust to see them. The government insurance chooses those for you. (I don't know much about standard health insurance, just cash)

When was the last time any one was able to make a choice in those areas; that the insurance plans did not marginalize the choice? Could it be the conditions were being set up, so as people would be comfortable with an idea?

Taxes will increase regardless of a socialized medicine program, that much a person can be sure.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:29 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Talk to a doctor. Learn about life instead of listening to Maxine Waters. Haha
Cute.

I have talked to my oncologist about what would have happened if I had been diagnosed with cancer 4 months earlier than I was, when I was looking for permanent work after college, uninsured, and denied insurance due to minor preexisting conditions.

Let me tell you, the answer wasn't, "Expect 6 months of chemo in an ER." It also didn't involve getting $500,000 of cancer care covered by charity. Haha, indeed.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Conservatives seem to be clueless about how insurance works.

Try getting long term care without it.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:54 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Conservatives seem to be clueless about how insurance works.

Try getting long term care without it.
Another poster wrote about "charity" care at hospitals. It doesn't exist. Even w/ Medicaid, there are strict requirements and lots of physicians don't take it. And, Medicare is for those over 65 and only covers 80%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies