Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 01:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
We're taking care of those people whether you like it or not. And often in expensive ways.

If we thought about this from a logical and sensible perspective (and not from a political ideological perspective), we could figure out ways to care for those people in much cheaper ways.

Sending these people to the ER when they're sick is NOT the best solution. But that is what happens when they have no healthcare options.
Statistics show Obamacare increased ER visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 01:33 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,805,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Nobody is denied care when they are in a life and death situation. The left needs to stop with the scare tactics.
Like Veterans and the government run VA?

Old 05-08-2017, 01:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
When you get a job, you can buy your own healthcare with your own money.
Only 49% of people in the US get insurance through their jobs.

See this chart by state:
Health Insurance Coverage of the Total Population | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Not only that but if you work part time, you are often not covered and if you work for minimum wage you are often not covered. Employer health care has been phasing out for quite a while.

The Number of Employers Offering Fully-Paid Health Care Is Plummeting | Fortune.com

Quote:
The share of Fortune's best companies that still pay for 100% of employee's healthcare has dropped to 9% this year from a peak of 34% in 2001.
Under the ACA employers had to cover full time workers. Under the new bill, this is not a given, so more employers could drop coverage.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:34 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Then maybe you should realize that there is no "one size fits all" solution (which is what the other poster was trying to point out to you, but you refused to acknowledge it) and understand there will be winners and losers no matter what the plan is. You, like others, are going to look out for the best interest of your family. But the one thing I can do without are posters in this thread trying to villanize others for doing that. I think many of us have had it up to here with that. Just because one plan helps someone's family doesn't mean it's OK to turn a blind eye to those it hurt.
I have two insurance plans. One from where I work and one where my wife works. I pay a little towards it and my wife pays none. If I was only interested in what was best for my family I would be happy with the status quo. With Universal Care I may lose out some. I'm OK with that. It's not about me.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:35 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
Some undoubtedly chose to let their kids stay sick instead of risking losing their home to medical charges.

Health insurance and/or payments protect a family's wealth if they have any. That is why HC proposals with huge deductibles (5 to 10 thousand dollars) is, for many people, no insurance at all. Many Families have far less then $5,000 in savings or investments. At most they have a heavily mortgaged house.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:35 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,888,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Statistics show Obamacare increased ER visits.
Did I say Obamacare was the answer? It was flawed in many ways.

And what do those stats show in relation to ER visits for uninsured?

Old 05-08-2017, 01:54 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,221,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The ACA provided INSURANCE not healthcare.

It was insurance that the poor couldn't pay the premiums on much less the deductibles.

Millions of the poor on now Medicaid will soon be on their own and unable to pay premiums of this new "affordable" health insurance.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:56 PM

882 posts, read 686,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
To those it hurts ...

With my income I am not penalized for not having health insurance. Part of the perks for being poor? At the same time I am an adult without insurance.

Interesting I had a need for a different physician, not trusting the one that I had, I began to make a few phone calls. I found a PA and I see them now, that the first visit was $160.00 that first time visit; elsewhere ran upwards to $450.00. The difference? The clinic I go to does not except any form of insurance.

I have only enough knowledge about all of this to be dangerous, but I do know one thing I don't want other people's money paying for my healthcare. I also know that if I had the 25% they take out of my paycheck I'd have more money to work with ... with that said.

Socialized programs hurt everyone as they steel from everyone's table and what they give back is, no choice. Not to mention it keeps us all fighting one another over money and that can't be good for any self governing country.

Some one said that the ACA law effected the commerce clause. I never looked into it, but here's the thing. If the government can federally mandate every one to buy health insurance, what is to stop them from mandating every one to buy a cell phone, because they may need to use the 9-1-1 services at some point. Or buy a life insurance so to reduce the state expenses in the burial of the poor. Where do they stop and what is in place to stop them?

We're just looking at the first domino, not the rest of them as they have been placed in line, or how they might fall.

Imagine waking up to having ...

A job that the government allowed you to have
Transportation the government allowed you to have
and a home the government allowed you to have

What did we give up for those things?
Your first response was a good one, however this one is a complete waste of time that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:10 PM

882 posts, read 686,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've addressed that many times and for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have two insurance plans. One from where I work and one where my wife works. I pay a little towards it and my wife pays none. If I was only interested in what was best for my family I would be happy with the status quo. With Universal Care I may lose out some. I'm OK with that. It's not about me.
Nah, it's not about you.

You could have fooled me with these posts and how you talk about yourself. Not to mention all the others where you try to villanize people and imply they're not compassionate just because they have a different viewpoint from yours.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:19 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,431,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Nah, it's not about you.

You could have fooled me with these posts and how you talk about yourself. Not to mention all the others where you try to villanize people and imply they're not compassionate just because they have a different viewpoint from yours.
Well, when the alternate viewpoint is one of 'everyone for themselves alone' what the heck other conclusion CAN you draw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies