Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:57 AM

113 posts, read 277,468 times

Advertisements

I am not a Democrat or Republican but lately I have been listening to FOX News Radio(mainly for entertainment purposes) and as much as I try to understand Conservative values, I still can't! I listen to Mark Levine and Sean Hannity daily and their ideas and values just blow my mind. Please explain some of these ideas:

Pro-military: Are all Conservatives pro military? I just find the entire military thing to be a total brainwash. Really, it takes a kind of sucker to believe in all these "military" lies. The military in my opinion is the most corrupt institution in this country. So, conservatives are all pro-military?

Pro-pharmaceutical company: Mark Levine said that conservatives are pro-pharmaceutical companies. I majored in Economics and although I understand that economies prosper when there is little governmental intervention, being pro pharmaceutical companies would be the very unethical. These companies once again like the military lie to people on a daily basis and take advantage of people to make profit. One of the most unethical businesses around

Telling people to go vote for Hillary: I heard that many Conservative people were telling Republicans to go vote for Hillary to hurt Obama. I just find the whole idea very lacking in ethics. It is the whole idea of doing whatever it takes to get ahead, even if it means to hurt people in the process.

Anyways, my conclusion is that, in order for someone to be a Conservative, you cannot be a person of strong character or morals. Worse yet, many of these people are vehemently against abortion and supposedly "religious". I still do not understand it.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 06:11 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
To start with Fox radio certainly does not encompass conservatism even if it tends to pander to Republicans.

Try viewing some more traditional material of old conservatism, like The American Conservative magazine for starters.

What constitutes contemporary conservatism is wildly different than what used to be the standard.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:18 AM

438 posts, read 1,509,102 times
OK. I totally understand your opinion, except for the military being corrupt. Where on God's green earth did you get that? Seriously, I just don't understand that. Maybe because I'm former military, my dad is former military, my grandpa fought in Normandy, and my husband is currently in the Navy, I'm a little biased. Inefficient and sometimes backwards, yes, but not corrupt.

But yes, I do often get frustrated with some uber-conservatives. You forgot to mention that many conservatives think the Gays are tying to take over. I've been in conversations with conservative relatives who accuse me of being anti-military because I'm not opposed to gay marriage. I don't get that "All or nothing" mentality of many conservatives. You either buy into all the propaganda or your a tree-hugging liberal commie.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Sounds to me like the OP might be stumbling over one of the central tenets (not tenants) of modern day conservatism...the fact that none of the usual rules of logic or reasoning need apply. These are seen as obstacles to progress. Where liberalism might be thought of as being based at some university, conservatism is based at some advertising agency. Liberals actually think up stuff and try to test it. Conservatives simply make up stuff and try to sell it. The world according to marketing consultants...that's what the right-wing offers today...

Old 03-08-2008, 06:44 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
I am not a Democrat or Republican but lately I have been listening to FOX News Radio(mainly for entertainment purposes) and as much as I try to understand Conservative values, I still can't! I listen to Mark Levine and Sean Hannity daily and their ideas and values just blow my mind. Please explain some of these ideas:

Pro-military: Are all Conservatives pro military? I just find the entire military thing to be a total brainwash. Really, it takes a kind of sucker to believe in all these "military" lies. The military in my opinion is the most corrupt institution in this country. So, conservatives are all pro-military?

Pro-pharmaceutical company: Mark Levine said that conservatives are pro-pharmaceutical companies. I majored in Economics and although I understand that economies prosper when there is little governmental intervention, being pro pharmaceutical companies would be the very unethical. These companies once again like the military lie to people on a daily basis and take advantage of people to make profit. One of the most unethical businesses around

Telling people to go vote for Hillary: I heard that many Conservative people were telling Republicans to go vote for Hillary to hurt Obama. I just find the whole idea very lacking in ethics. It is the whole idea of doing whatever it takes to get ahead, even if it means to hurt people in the process.

Anyways, my conclusion is that, in order for someone to be a Conservative, you cannot be a person of strong character or morals. Worse yet, many of these people are vehemently against abortion and supposedly "religious". I still do not understand it.!
I have over the years, bounced back and forth b/c both parties in my view are corrupt. So, now I'm registered on the independent party...which means nothing because I am conservative...which is my character.

A country with a weak military opens itself up to a lot of problems...I don't know if the military today is corrupt...I do know, that war causes people, no matter what side they are on, to react in sometimes less then moral ways. It breads fear, hate and retailiation...is it good, no...but sometimes fighting those who would opress, genocide and harm others is a must. Although, in studing history, I have learned that wars are generally backed by a political agenda.

I believe all the people of this country is lacking common sense and realistic solutions....if your leaders are corrupt, then to, will your people be...and it has taken 35 years to get to where we are now, which isn't encouraging. But, change will happen, b/c as history tells us...whenever a country becomes corrupt and weak minded and greed rules their decissions, they are over thrown....

Greed rules not only the pharms but every corporation in this country any longer. If that were not true...we wouldn't be loosing jobs....but companies would realize, while outsourcing saves them a lot of money, going global leaves your citizens with service that is less then satisfactory...and puts your own people out of work. Soon, what jobs will be left.

Millions of immigrants are now here who have been willing to work for less, and have infiltrated our work force...whose to blame here? Those who are greedy and realized years ago, to hire Mexicans would save them a whole lot of money...

Now that companies are outsoucing..it is difficult for those loosing their jobs to get a job even with a fast food establishment.

This election will be like every other election...they give us nothing to vote for and because both parties are corrupt, this is what we're left with...so, you close your eyes and vote...what other choice do we have?

Why would anyone vote for a man who bought his home from one of his biggest campaign doners, who also bought the adjacent land so there could be no development there
Rezko Watch: <i>Obama's "Rezko" house</i>: Obama Bought His Home With No Rezko 'Discount,' Seller Affirms

Why would anyone vote for a woman, who bounces back and forth and acuses her opponet of all kinds of things, and now, there is talk of them both running on the same ticket? Not to mention, her background in poliltics is far from squeaky clean?

Why would someone vote for a man who was involved in who was the founding member of the Keating Five, has mafia ties, McCain had a reputation for not being able to keep his pants zipped....

and all 3 candidates are bought into the campaign trail by special interest groups and huge corporations....

So, what's left...? Will we get change for the good of the country, for the good of the U.S. citizens...no...and the beat goes on...b/c that's all Bush promised...he is even in denial in one of his press releases stating that our economy and job situation is not bad at all...HAH! I guess admitting that would be like saying...whoops? Sorry folks....

until laws and corrupt politicians are called on illegal activity and prosecuted, along with corrupt corporations...this country will never change

as long as all those who are running this country are corrupt...and lie...and care only about what goes in their pockets..outsourcing will continue...and jobs will be lost from this nation.

We are no longer a strong leader in many areas of technology, research, science...etc....let along military...we've become fat and lazy...and need someone to tell us how to think, what to believe.

We are a nation, co-dependent on our leaders which makes us not only vulnerable, but we've given them entitlement...

laws mean nothing to people anymore...respect for the law means nothing...and if you take a drive down the highway, do 60 and watch everyone pass you doing 70 and 80 MPH. And that is just a tiny example.

Just my thoughts...

Creme

Old 03-08-2008, 06:50 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista
Sounds to me like the OP might be stumbling over one of the central tenets (not tenants) of modern day conservatism...the fact that none of the usual rules of logic or reasoning need apply. These are seen as obstacles to progress. Where liberalism might be thought of as being based at some university, conservatism is based at some advertising agency. Liberals actually think up stuff and try to test it. Conservatives simply make up stuff and try to sell it. The world according to marketing consultants...that's what the right-wing offers today...
.....And if, once it became obvious, the test failed if liberals would back off the ideas it would be all rosey as you state. The problem occurs when failed ideas continue to be funded via higher taxes long after it becomes evident they do not work.

Why do I hate THIS administration??? We're following that liberal TENET to a tee. The war in Iraq is a waste of lives, money and resources and has nearly bankrupted our nation and yet we are too arrogant to admit the folly and so we persist...

Someone find me a REAL conservative that can win. Otherwise I'll be forced to vote liberal to simply undo some of these mistakes. Then 8 years from now I'll vote Republican to undo the liberal mistakes.... Such is what politics has become in this country. A swinging pendulum of folly that never actually GETS anywhere....

Old 03-08-2008, 07:16 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
I'll make it easy for you to understand.

Liberal - The good people. Love and protect all living things (think Eloi).

Conservative - The bad people. Hate and try to destroy all living things (think Morlocks).

That's what I'm teaching my children, anyway.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:17 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Being a fiscal conservative, I understand that corporations are not social-engineering experiments, but are charged with providiing a profit for their stockholders. These include in many cases, underpaid teachers, retired persons on a limited income, low-wage janitors of companies that provide profit sharing, and many other workers who depend upon their retirement accounts for retirement. Certainly, many individuals who run these corporations are corrupt, as is a significant portion of any society. The problem is that these individuals have the power to affect the lives of many others. But, to suggest that the companies that move overseas are in some way betraying American workers is ignoring the conditions which led to these decisions, i.e. labor unions, government regulations, etc.

Most of us conservatives believe that the free market will provide alternatives and solutions to these who take advantage of consumers and thus will weed them out of the marketplace. We also believe that individuals can better reach their potentials when governement intervention into their lives is minimalized.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Teddy Roosevelt is a true Conservative as it applies to preserving what we have and not being wasteful. This includes preservation of one's capital from unnecessary exertion over and abuse of the states rights granted by the 10th ammendment.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:23 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that being "pro-abortion" would be considered more moral than "anti-abortion". I'm anti-abortion, meaning that I want to limit the amount of abortions. I also, don't believe that forcefully taking resources from an individual to give to onesself or another is a very moral position, when, if done by an individual would land one in jail, but using the government to do so is called "being compassionate". I believe there are many moral people and those of strong character on both sides. Some are just misguided in their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies