Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 12:22 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
For the record, all conservatives are not religious.

And nobody is mocking anyone. Expecting someone to pull their own weight isn't mocking.
All conservatives are not religious.

All religious are not conservative.

But enough proclaim the family value/Jeezus nonsense to warrant what I said.

I suggest you re-read some of those posts. They were terribly mean spirited and antagonistic. It was a pile on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 12:23 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,499,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well to some " but it doesn't change the inherent baked-in stubbornness " equals brainwashing. LOL

It's a whole other thread, but the buzzword "FREEDOM" in the US is abused IMO.
I get it. You don't agree. I respect that. But IIRC, you're Canadian, yes? If so, why would you concern yourself with how Americans feel about universal healthcare here in America? It seems really that many people around the world concern themselves (maybe too much?) with how Americans react to the domestic American issue of healthcare. Interest I understand, but the amount of raw criticism lobbed our way seems just ... odd.

It's not an indictment of the Canadian healthcare system or the Australian healthcare system or the European healthcare system for an American to simply state that they don't want the same thing here. It's really not. We all have some pretty specific reasons why we are not in support of it, but our idea of maintaining our freedom rides up very high on that list. *shrug*

Old 05-11-2017, 12:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,527,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Yes, you are correct - particularly your last sentence.

But ... on the topic of Americans being brainwashed, I see it differently. I see it as an issue of freedom, one that is vital and essential to many Americans, and what has always been a core value here: the freedom to make your own decisions for yourself and your family, free of government mandate and overreach.

I know that many see this is as a silly and outdated notion, and some can even offer a pretty good reason why they feel that way, but it doesn't change the inherent baked-in stubbornness of many Americans to not allow the government to take over so many facets of our lives, and to not be OK with such dismissal of our values and extraction of more money from us in order to control those facets. It's what our country was primarily founded on. It's what we fight for every day. It's important and vital to us. Forcing us to buy services for ourselves AND be OK with increased demands of our wages and even penalizing higher earners in order to give to others is simply tyranny to many of us. It doesn't make us automatically bad, uncaring, selfish people for feeling that way. It's because we believe in freedom and that means freedom to make our own choices, and freedom from tyranny. Mock it, rip on it, justify verbal abuse of those who believe in it, or just plain misunderstand it. It's one of the main traits that define us, however.
I think the thing most don't understand, is why this belief is so unevenly applied. Even the die-hard right wingers expect the government to help when their trailer park home has been blown away in a tornado.

Why not privatize everything?

It seems with healthcare, those against it do come across as brainwashed, since their arguments against it make little sense. Their talking points are mostly myths, if not outright lies.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:27 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,925,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Strip the layers of govt out of health care and turn consumers loose on the system. Prices will fall just like TV's, computers, cell phones,appliances...
Unless you or anyone in your family has a pre-existing condition and whether you even know it exists. The free market was not working as you say before Obamacare and is not going to work under Trumpcare. 8 Years of whining ad this is the Best the GOP can come up with, not going to work out well in future elections.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,527,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I get it. You don't agree. I respect that. But IIRC, you're Canadian, yes? If so, why would you concern yourself with how Americans feel about universal healthcare here in America? It seems really that many people around the world concern themselves (maybe too much?) with how Americans react to the domestic American issue of healthcare. Interest I understand, but the amount of raw criticism lobbed our way seems just ... odd.

It's not an indictment of the Canadian healthcare system or the Australian healthcare system or the European healthcare system for an American to simply state that they don't want the same thing here. It's really not. We all have some pretty specific reasons why we are not in support of it, but our idea of maintaining our freedom rides up very high on that list. *shrug*
One thing about being Canadian and why a lot of us do care what happens in the US. Many, many Canadians have friends in the US, have family in the US.

I only come into the conversation on CD when people have posted lies, mistruths, and ignorant comments about OUR system. Canada has been brought into the US's conversation many times, and I'm not speaking about CD, but your politicians. Some of which have said some really inaccurate things.

Here's one of the latest.

Donald Trump Slams Canada's Health Care System As 'Catastrophic'

The Canadian government even gave an official response about the lies about our system.

Americans should look at who is really behind this anti UHC campaign.

http://therealstory.ca/2012-09-04/us...ian-healthcare

Old 05-11-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I think the thing most don't understand, is why this belief is so unevenly applied. Even the die-hard right wingers expect the government to help when their trailer park home has been blown away in a tornado.

It seems with healthcare, those against it do come across as brainwashed, since their arguments against it make little sense. Their talking points are mostly myths, if not outright lies.
What condescension. I won't bother responding to such sweeping generalizations. Your mind is made up. I'm not interested in changing it.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I only come into the conversation on CD when people have posted lies, mistruths, and ignorant comments about OUR system.
And then you promptly proceed to do the very same thing yourself.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:36 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,351,820 times
Quote:

It doesn't make sense to say you support choice over force? I've always thought the brainwashed ones are those who demand that their choices be taken away so that someone else can decide how to spend their money.

And you get a "yes please" from me for privatizing everything.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Here is the tax rate by country, you can check it out yourself

These tax rates apply to single people with no children, on an average salary for their country.
Belgium- 42.80%
Germany - 39.90%
Denmark - 38.90%
Hungary- 35%
Austria -34%
Greece - 25.4%
OECD Average - 25.10%
UK - 24.90%
USA - 22.70%
New Zealand - 16.40%
Israel - 15.50%
Korea - 13%
Mexico -9.50%
Chile - 7%

Which country has the highest tax rate? - BBC News
Yes absolutely. Countries with UHC have a higher tax rate.

I'm not sure where you got your chart from (not knocking it) but here is another one:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxe...-tax-brackets/

I'm going to go with the 15% tax rate for a family for my example since that is what we would fall under.

Percentage of pay currently goes to:

15% - taxes
10% - health insurance
8-10% - deductibles, copay, specialty care, hospital admission

Adding these figures up the average American pays about 33 to 35% of their income towards taxes and healthcare. And most of this health insurance isn't portable - its tied to your employer. That cost also doesn't figure other medial related costs such as high priced medicines, therapies, etc.

So either way, we are paying for this healthcare but some people don't have access to it. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a universal plan that everyone has access to, keeps costs down and isn't tied to your employer? So that way if you do happen to lose your job or you need to stay home with your kids or parents, etc for an extended period of time, you'll still have access to care?

And many of those countries that pay high taxes? They also have access to world class public education from K-postsecondary, cradle to grave care, paternity/maternity/family leave - all paid with those taxes.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:37 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,351,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Unless you or anyone in your family has a pre-existing condition and whether you even know it exists. The free market was not working as you say before Obamacare and is not going to work under Trumpcare. 8 Years of whining ad this is the Best the GOP can come up with, not going to work out well in future elections.
What free market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies