Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 03:51 PM

25,724 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I have a hard time understanding how people see some kind of difference between private and public insurance, like wishing for one somehow categorizes you as a commie big government pansy or wishing for the other somehow magically transforms you into a rugged individualist while you get reamed up the backside. It's hard to enjoy liberty and freedom when you're mortgaging your home to pay for your wife's/child's/put-other-loved-one-here healthcare.

Americans have either never heard of the most important freedom you can have besides the your own, or they don't care...and that's economic freedom. Americans are slaves and many of you love yourselves for it.
I have a hard time understanding how people refuse to consider any alternative to legalized gambling (insurance) when it comes to paying for health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 03:52 PM

27,139 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Yes, it is a right, or at least it should be.

The US provides foreign aid to a certain country, to the tune of several billion annually, a country that provides universal health care to its own citizens, and considers health care to be a right.

I think that it is totally unacceptable that the US doesn't provide universal health care to its own people.

The government provides nothing, they have nothing...........unless they have taken it away from someone else.

So you are saying that it is OK to take away from someone by force and they should forgo the Right to their property.

Yes, in effect (and in actuality) you are.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:54 PM

18,458 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes. Basic healthcare is a basic human right. Unbelievable that this is even debatable. I wonder how many who answer "no" consider themselves to be Christians.

Only in America...
Can you point out the part of the Bible for me where Jesus advocated compulsory charity by force?

You have a "right" to access to health care the same as anyone else...

You don't have a right to force a doctor to treat you without being paid, nor do you have the right to force anyone else to pay for it if you cannot.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Well first, we have a pretty corrupted system, and it's definitely not based on any principles.

Second, your use of principle doesn't seem to make sense here. "And just how (having a rule you never break) is it that a joint replacement appliance may well sell for 10X as many $$$ in the US as in many other countries?"...not sure how to answer that.

Principles are guides, yes. If you believe rape is wrong, you apply that to every situation. You don't say "Yeah it's wrong to force someone to have sex with you, but there are a lot of people who can't get sex voluntarily. I believe every person is entitled to love. It's a human right." That is an example of being unprincipled.
And we should just sit back, do nothing, and let it continue along its admittedly (by you) unprincipled way?

What makes that a good plan?

Old 05-07-2017, 03:57 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Can you point out the part of the Bible for me where Jesus advocated compulsory charity by force?

You have a "right" to access to health care the same as anyone else...

You don't have a right to force a doctor to treat you without being paid, nor do you have the right to force anyone else to pay for it if you cannot.
It's very much like free speech. You have the right to be allowed to state your opinions, but you don't have the right to force someone to buy you a microphone and provide you an audience.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:58 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Like...don't steal?
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
This is the first and greatest commandment.
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself'. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Old 05-07-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And we should just sit back, do nothing, and let it continue along its admittedly (by you) unprincipled way?

What makes that a good plan?
Nope. Get the government out of it completely. I know you don't believe in that, but you can't say I want to sit and do nothing to fix it. We just disagree on the solution.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The government provides nothing, they have nothing...........unless they have taken it away from someone else.

So you are saying that it is OK to take away from someone by force and they should forgo the Right to their property.

Yes, in effect (and in actuality) you are.

WHY have a government if it's to do nothing?

And how doe you expect it to do something without funding?

Are we to have a society that tries to advance or should we just go back to every man for himself?

Old 05-07-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
This is the first and greatest commandment.
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself'. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Right, so don't steal from your neighbor to fund the things you think should be funded...that is, unless you prefer to have someone else take your stuff and fund the things they like. That's what I'm getting at. You can help people without breaking the 7th commandment.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Nope. Get the government out of it completely. I know you don't believe in that, but you can't say I want to sit and do nothing to fix it. We just disagree on the solution.
And let the industry, and healthcare is very much an industry, police itself?

Can you give some examples of self-policing industries that don't favor themselves every chance they get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies