Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 03:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I think you misunderstood. I was responding to the poster who said, in effect -- unless I was the one who misunderstood! -- that owning second homes should be prohibited. That is why I answered as I did.

I honestly don't understand how you thought I said I wanted them to pay MORE! I certainly meant no such thing.
I'll have to go back and re-read but ok. I may have misunderstood because we've just lived through a long period where people who worked hard to make something of themselves and are enjoying a nicer living are now demonized because without the people who are demonizing don't have the entire picture which I've described in a post before. I'll go back and re-read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I think you misunderstood. I was responding to the poster who said, in effect -- unless I was the one who misunderstood! -- that owning second homes should be prohibited. That is why I answered as I did.

I honestly don't understand how you thought I said I wanted the owner of the VERY expensive vacation home to pay even MORE than $365,000 a year in taxes! I certainly meant no such thing.
Oh wow, I did misunderstand, sorry. Reading the post you responded to especially puts it in perspective.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:05 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'll have to go back and re-read but ok. I may have misunderstood because we've just lived through a long period where people who worked hard to make something of themselves and are enjoying a nicer living are now demonized because without the people who are demonizing don't have the entire picture which I've described in a post before. I'll go back and re-read
Okay, I just reread my post and now I understand your confusion. By paying "more", I was referring to the $365,000 for the second home which would be in addition to the taxes he would be paying for his "first" home, so the $365k was what I meant by "more". I did not mean that he should pay more than the $365,000 annually in taxes for his vacation home that he is already paying.

Sorry for the confusion!

Old 05-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Okay, I just reread my post and now I understand your confusion. By paying "more", I was referring to the $365,000 for the second home which would be in addition to the taxes he would be paying for his "first" home, so the $365k was what I meant by "more". I did not mean that he should pay more than the $365,000 annually in taxes for his vacation home that he is already paying.

Sorry for the confusion!
LOL, now that we are no longer confused lol.

Here is another thing that helped me understand awhile back. The cash flow quadrant.

Last edited by petch751; 05-08-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 04:34 PM

Here is a graphic from Robert Kyosaki that explains the difference between the income statement and balance sheet of a working/middle class person vs the rich. I've posted this before in this thread.

Working / Middle Class:
Left side,
They spend their time working at a job, earning an income which is used to pay for their liabilities. They think month to month (what are the monthly payments). If they get a raise or get a better paying job, they increase their lifestyle (lifestyle creep), instead of growing wealth. They can also get bumped into the next higher tax bracket. Liabilities and taxes, both expenses ... money paid out (lost opportunity).

The Rich:
Right Side
They own assets that provide income and are used to pay for their liabilities. No, not all people were born rich and those who were not born rich they learned and took action early on to buy assets. They think long term. They also pay for professional advise and buy with tax efficiency in mind, legally reducing their taxable income so they can keep more of their money which in turn can be invested to grow wealth ect....

Old 05-08-2017, 04:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I know that kiyosaki and his books have helped a lot of people to get the right mindset. Of course it's easier said than done.
I've heard several interviews with kiyosaki and remember him mentioning that the rich leverage other people's time , money and effort . Pretty powerful quote.

I listen to the biggerpockets podcast where they interview successful real estate investors every week and it's amazing how many people said that Rich Dad ,Poor Dad was the book that got them started investing and real estate. It's become kind of a cliché on the show because so many people have mentioned it.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I know that kiyosaki and his books have helped a lot of people to get the right mindset. Of course it's easier said than done.
I've heard several interviews with kiyosaki and remember him mentioning that the rich leverage other people's time , money and effort . Pretty powerful quote.

I listen to the biggerpockets podcast where they interview successful real estate investors every week and it's amazing how many people said that Rich Dad ,Poor Dad was the book that got them started investing and real estate. It's become kind of a cliché on the show because so many people have mentioned it.
Yes he's big on real estate. Kiyosaki really put the bigger picture together for me.

People mistake of thinking that being rich is having all the fancy toys (glitzy rich) when in my opinion, having assets that pay a passive income to support a reasonably good lifestyle is financial freedom.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Here is a graphic from Robert Kyosaki that explains the difference between the income statement and balance sheet of a working/middle class person vs the rich. I've posted this before in this thread.

Working / Middle Class:
Left side,
They spend their time working at a job, earning an income which is used to pay for their liabilities. They think month to month (what are the monthly payments). If they get a raise or get a better paying job, they increase their lifestyle (lifestyle creep), instead of growing wealth. They can also get bumped into the next higher tax bracket. Liabilities and taxes, both expenses ... money paid out (lost opportunity).

The Rich:
Right Side
They own assets that provide income and are used to pay for their liabilities. No, not all people were born rich and those who were not born rich they learned and took action early on to buy assets. They think long term. They also pay for professional advise and buy with tax efficiency in mind, legally reducing their taxable income so they can keep more of their money which in turn can be invested to grow wealth ect....

Every income property is someone else's outgo property.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Every income property is someone else's outgo property.
Yep. And interest you pay on debt is someone else's income.

Since people hate the rich so much they should stop using debt and stop buying their products and in your case, don't rent from them.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
What a depressing thought. Kids should not go to college? Where will we get doctors, nurses,engineers, scientists and computer professionals to lead all those jobs?
The federal government (the state) now funds and enforces rentier-cartels that have pushed the cost of healthcare and education through the roof. This is why I call our economy a state-cartel system: the state defends cartels against competition, and the cartels can charge prices far above what an open market would support.

Memo to what's left of the middle class: the Powers That Be are perfectly fine with your transition to proletarian debt-serf. All the handwringing about the decline of the middle class is just alligator tears shed while they gobble up your wealth and labor.

charles hugh smith-Weblog and Essays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies