Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:57 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I understand what you're saying but in that case I'm glad I don't know. Less hate for me. I have a good job, make plenty of money and have a great group of friends. I'm truly grateful. I don't see the problem.

We all have our own achievements. Black achievements aren't any better or worse in my opinion. I'm not better because I'm black and achieved, a woman and achieved, young and achieved. I'm just proud of achieving. It's just that simple. I'm pretty grateful regardless.

If somebody said, wow, you inspire me as a black person then great! If they said, wow, you inspire me because you're a woman, then great! If I inspire a white man then great! It all means the same to me, that I inspired someone to work hard regardless of their own hurdles. So that's great!
Society does not move forward from the actions of those who "do not see the problem", but rather, from the actions of those who see the problem and fight to correct it.

We obviously live in a more selfish society than in the past. As long as YOU have it good.....its all good. There has NEVER been a period when all whites have been racist and hateful towards blacks. Those whites who are not racist embrace black people and mingle with black people and support black people and form relationship with black people. Those who do not like black people do not embrace black people, choose not to mingle with black people or form relationships with black people....and they do not tell you that they do not like black people.

The only legal means to be racist is through public policy....and through voting. You might seek SMALL GOVERNMENT because you see or fear government being used to help lift up blacks from past wrongs and or you see the government policies disproportionately benefiting people of a different race. Thus, you want to reduce the size of government to reduce aid to blacks and or minorities.

The problem is that people always seem to want to argue all or nothing. In other words, all people are this or all people are that. The fact that there are whites that are not racist does not mean that there are not a lot of white who are. The fact that there are whites who are racist does not mean that there is not a lot of whites that are not. None of us gets to meet EVERYBODY. All our experiences are with a subset of people that represent a drop in the ocean.....that no individual experience can or should be used to draw conclusions about the WHOLE. Ergo......just because you have white friends and relations and have not experienced "racism" directly does not mean it does not exist or is not a problem. On the other hand just because you have bad experiences with racism does not mean that all whites are racist.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-11-2017 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 01:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Chuck D is worth $15 million.

Poor guy.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:15 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Does this mean they will skip the regular commencement or will they have to be the center of attention at that as well?

Old 05-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, you added, ok. Well the music is just an expression. It has made certain words have way less power in the department of hate, and moved them into a different meaning for most. White people just enjoy music as much as black people. That's all it is. There is no huge meaning to it all. There are plenty of rap songs white people like that lift black people up. It's not all or nothing.

It's really in the eye of the beholder isn't it? You see it as self destructive to black people, I see it as knocking down any divide with good music. Sharing with all people. Lil Wayne for instance has done songs with black and white artists, and they have been heard by the same.

I don't think it's biting the hand that feeds him, I think it's appreciating the audience that likes his music. All of them. He's thankful he can make money doing what he loves to do. He's grateful to all people.

I do think we're getting off topic, and this topic has been spent. Maybe it's time to close up shop.
All I am saying is that since rap crossed over.....you are not finding groups and rappers like KRS-One, Public Enemy and the like bubbling to the top like before the genre crossed over. Rappers, when mainly a black consumer phenomenon, did not become rich like the rappers post crossover. Once you taste the fame and wealth.....your hooked.....usually. I mean, America made Lil Wayne and many other rappers rich and that mostly came from white consumers who supported their music. Its kind of hard to argue racism white folks are making your rich. However, just like women were once accepted and looked upon to be nurses and secretaries, blacks are now accepted as athletes and entertainers. We all cannot be athletes and entertainers....though.

Today...its all about individualism and money. If you give me money........and enough of it.....I support whatever is going on. Life is good, see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.....regardless of the plight of others.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Chuck D is worth $15 million.

Poor guy.
Maybe....I don't know....but he is not making music today. MLK is loved and embraced today....but was hated when he was alive and active. Chuck D is more valuable post his music career than during it. As long as he is not making that kind of money anymore......he is liked.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Maybe....I don't know....but he is not making music today. MLK is loved and embraced today....but was hated when he was alive and active. Chuck D is more valuable post his music career than during it. As long as he is not making that kind of money anymore......he is liked.
His last solo album was 2014.

And he's in Prophets of Rage which just formed last year.

????????????

Old 05-11-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
His last solo album was 2014.

And he's in Prophets of Rage which just formed last year.

????????????
Is that where his 15 million came from? Why are not people buying the music? If he is still active I stand corrected.....but what are his sales?

Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:
I prefer to dip in and out. Because I have the skin color, just not the mindset and I'm glad. So, I thought I'd share for once because I'm so sick of it.

I'm biracial and stated this so many times on this thread. My dad is 100% black all the time as you've stated but he'd have a problem with you calling me a "white persons pet." You're knowledge of history isn't serving you well. There are no racist laws in America now. You can't control individuals, and some people will be jerks regardless of skin color. I don't need to gather with blacks and talk about how crappy white people don't understand my struggles. I don't need to gather with women and talk about men calling us hoes or beaches or if I'll get paid as much as my male co worker. I talk to everyone about it when it happens and get all the sympathy I need from my diverse group of friends.

You can feel free to uphold the law. Sue an individual if they use your race or sex in a negative manner. I encourage action. What don't you have? What struggle is America giving you that you're not giving yourself?

Maybe it's my lack of fear and hate that makes it easier for me, maybe because I have a white mom I'm not afraid of white people. Maybe we should encourage biracial dating because it seems to get rid of that hate and fear you're experiencing.

If myself, a biracial woman in the construction field can experience integration to it's fullest and make it, why can't Harvard grads? I have black friends, biracial friends, Latino friends, Caucasian friends and Asian friends. We all are unique and we all share experiences. It makes a bigger impact when my "un black" friends see someone judging me for the color of my skin. It makes a bigger impact when one of my male work friends see me discriminated against because I'm a woman. Isn't this a good thing?

I probably look blacker than you but still, I'm not black enough, right? LMAO!! Right!

I've been called it all but white persons pet. That's a new one, I'll have to share that for a laugh. I think were done, we just disagree. I need to go get some kibble, I'm hungry. ha ha
You have this mindset that blacks NEED to have white presence all the time. We are going to get enough of that just by being in America because it's still a white country with white defaults. If you can't understand why a group of black people would want to attend the official ceremony then have their own off the to side then you're just not understand what I people are clearly telling you. People are of all races and ethnicities like getting together to do stuff whether it's living in neighborhoods or all the way down to having an group based on race on a college campus. What I'm telling you is, it's only seen as a negative when black people do it. When black people get to together for anything it's immediately turn negative. You have people in their feelings because some Harvard grads are having a privately funded separate event that hurts no one. Like somebody else said, what if the student athletes had their own private additional event? Do you think somebody would have taken the time to write an article about it or start a thread about it complaining that non-athlete don't get an event?

But you can miss me with this "fear" of white people stuff. I go off of what they as a group have shown us. Yes, it's a generalization but black Americans can not act as if their is no problem when there is. And like I said, MLK was talking all that peace and harmony stuff and still got a bullet. Don't confuse knowing history and being cautious with fear.

If you think the key to ending racism is interracial dating...you're just showing how naïve you are. LMAO. There are people that owned slaves and where sleeping with the slaves. There are people like Donald Sterling who was dating a black woman yet still told her not to bring black men to his basketball games. Some of the most sexist and misogynistic men still have wives. Who people have relations with often times has no bearing on whatever ism they prop up.

I really just think you are naïve. And there's no way can look at American history and current events and think that the answer is for blacks to be nice to whites and "reach out" to them. That's a lowkey way of saying "you are doing it to yourselves". Remember Dylan Roof walked into a church full of nice Christians and shot the place up. Did they not reach out hard enough? Like somebody else said, if you haven't directly experienced things fine, just say that, but that does not negate most other blacks experiences .

Old 05-11-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Is that where his 15 million came from? Why are not people buying the music? If he is still active I stand corrected.....but what are his sales?
This ain't 1988.

An act is profitable based nearly solely on touring revenue.

Adele sold the most albums in 2016 with 1.7 million. The biggest acts in the 90s and pre-Napster (Pearl Jam, Eminem) used to sell that in a span of 10 days to two weeks.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
You can assume all you want. It has nothing to do with the variety of people there for me. I'm proud of accomplishments and I take plenty of pride in my African American community I just don't need a black only gathering to do this in. I want everyone to experience my pride just like I want them to share their accomplishments with me. I want everyone to come and see these accomplishments.

I'm not being specific, it's not some people are nasty and some are not. As a whole, I don't think these segregated groups do anything to move me past my problems regarding the color of my skin. I think a Lil Wayne concert would do more for me. In my opinion race relations is just getting worse because of it, not better.

Some people are afraid to confront me now that didn't use to be five years ago. Are you BLM? Do you hate white people? Or, random white people letting me know they care out of the blue. Black people assuming I'm a democrat, or telling me I'm not black enough or love white people so much I'm like their "pet." I feel this so called black only gatherings has made me feel more isolated from blacks and whites.

It's just created a new racial tension, it has not gotten rid of it. Let's be honest, you have to know what I'm talking about. Maybe you don't, maybe it's because I'm biracial. I experience life with black skin. I didn't use to have as many issues as I do today because of it. I'm not alone. Even liberal white people act like I'm not black enough now. lmao!! I just wish it would go away and we'd get back to mixing it up.

I don't know what to say to you people seriously. I guess I'm just not black enough to understand you all. Don't worry, it's not black specific, I feel the same way as a woman. I don't feel the need to wear a vagina hat either.

I'll leave it with this video. I count my blessings, I haven't experienced a lot of racism in my past. I don't feel the need to group by color of skin accomplishments. I share. I do feel for those who have but just like I feel for my other friends who've experienced similar hate who are not black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhfB_QWy4DA
This video ^ they're looking for an answer they just aren't going to find in him. I feel the same way. You aren't going to find it in me. Sorry. Look elsewhere.
On your posts Tokinuta, I can understand where you are coming from in much of what you are saying but I also feel that you are putting too much into the idea of the black cohort celebration.

For me, I see these sorts of ceremonies as a family gathering.

Maybe you can understand from that perspective. This is not about racism and it is not about being proud of achievements. It is about being around your family and enjoying each other's company.

You are close to them in regards to what types of things you enjoy, you have similar mannerisms, and even with cousins who may be different, have a similar background and something that bonds you.

FWIW I have an aunt that calls all black people her "cousins" lol. I am similar to her in this. For me and her we are all cousins. Due to that we are comfortable around each other and want to celebrate each other. We also celebrate these sorts of accomplishments with the greater communities of which we are a part of. It is not about shunning. It is basically a family gathering.

It would be silly to invite the whole neighborhood to a family BBQ or to a wedding or even to your own graduation party. It is a family affair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies