Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 02:38 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
It was a tradition in the old south for a girl child to be named with the surname of a relative or friend. Many boy names were also given to honor a friend or relative. Strictly speaking, these names are neutral, that is they have no masculine or feminine designation.
I see that alot. Alot of names after civil war heroes and folklore heros names too , alot of lee middle names, bobbi lee, jessie or jessi, like jessi colter, billie lee, jo lynne, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm just curious. It doesn't affect my life one way or the other. Do people think it gives their female child a head start in life? Did they want a boy and get a girl instead?
I'm referring to names that were once given exclusively to boys such as Hunter, Madison, Taylor, Casey, Tyler, Ashley and there are many others.
I recently met someone who named their adorable little girl Grey. I feel sorry for the sweet little girl. If everything is going towards gender neutral then why isn't the reverse true? I don't see any boys with names like Ann or Karen.

I think you could have picked some better names for this argument.

How Many of Me

Quote:
Hunter
There are 14,618 people in the U.S. with the first name Hunter.
Statistically the 1580th most popular first name.
More than 99.9 percent of people with the first name Hunter are male.

Quote:
Madison
There are 4,873 people in the U.S. with the first name Madison.
Statistically the 2762nd most popular first name.
More than 99.9 percent of people with the first name Madison are female.
Quote:
Tyler
There are 147,809 people in the U.S. with the first name Tyler.
Statistically the 427th most popular first name.
97.8 percent of people with the first name Tyler are male.
Quote:
Ashley
There are 514,893 people in the U.S. with the first name Ashley.
Statistically the 114th most popular first name.
95.58 percent of people with the first name Ashley are female.

Taylor and Casey/Kasey are the only names that fall below 95%

Old 05-10-2017, 04:11 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
It's part of a trend of using surnames from the UK and the Republic of Ireland as first names. My husband's surname (and now mine) is a last name strongly associated with the borderlands between England and Scotland. It's also an extremely popular girl's first name in America (top 50 popular), and it always cracks me up when people ask me why I have a first name as a last name. Uh, no, you have that backwards, sweetheart.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
I always liked Alex as a girl's name either as is or shortened from Alexandra.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:19 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,014 times
Quote:
I'm just curious. It doesn't affect my life one way or the other. Do people think it gives their female child a head start in life? Did they want a boy and get a girl instead?
I'm referring to names that were once given exclusively to boys such as Hunter, Madison, Taylor, Casey, Tyler, Ashley and there are many others.
I recently met someone who named their adorable little girl Grey. I feel sorry for the sweet little girl. If everything is going towards gender neutral then why isn't the reverse true? I don't see any boys with names like Ann or Karen.
Names are usually generational in how often they are used. I know like 90 Jacobs. Name usage isn't static. Frankly, most Taylor's I've met in my life have been female, same with Casey, Madison, and Ashely. I've actually never met a male Madison, and I'm not sure I've met a male Ashely either. I've never met a female Tyler or Hunter; those have all been males.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:31 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times
As long as I can spell it I'm good. And these days with folks declaring their gender "binary", I'm anticipating combo names, e.g., Mary-Dick, Harry-Sue...

Old 05-10-2017, 04:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
A boy named Sue?

Old 05-10-2017, 05:00 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Traditionally Marion is a male name and Marian is a female name.
List of Celebrities with first name: Marion - FamousFix List

This list is almost all women FWIW.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:10 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I always liked Alex as a girl's name either as is or shortened from Alexandra.
One of my daughters is named Alexandra (Alex). She is named for my grandfather.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:22 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Many of the names you mention have not been exclusively boys names. I've known females with those names for a while. And in fact, I only know girls named a few of those names (Madison and Ashley, for instance).

These things aren't that important. Most girls (and boys) with "unusual" names might get picked on by bullys - but most are proud of their name. And they should be. I'd love to have a unique name (not that I don't like my name...it's just generic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies