Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 04:49 AM

5,039 posts, read 2,251,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
We can live in the land of make believe with "shouldn't" or step in to reality with, as another stated, if the teens are having an out of control unauthorized pool party, what on earth makes anyone think that they are going to listen to a lone individual telling them to turn down their music?

If my next door neighbor is blasting his music every damn weekend while a bunch of his friends are over...all of them far bigger than I am...I would be an idiot to go over there and demand he turn his music down. What on earth positive will come from that? Nothing. Because there are more of them, because they are bigger than me, because the situation can turn ugly, I don't go over there. I call the police. I let the police handle it.

If she has such health problems or couldn't swim, or whatever else people want to come up with, then what I said is correct: She should not have gone there. She was not equipped to handle the situation. She should have called the police and let them handle it. That's why they are there: To serve and to protect. Had she called the police instead of thinking she was going to take on a large crowd of unruly teens, no one would have even heard about this pool party.

And again, since some cannot comprehend what they read: That does not mean that the little punk who shoved her in to the pool gets an excuse.
Your point is not invalid, but this wasn't like she was trying to stop a Ferguson-type mob. This was a group of teenagers having a party. I'd be interested in seeing how many of us feel unsafe around a large group of kids. Seriously, have we reached a point in our society where we have to call the cops for every damned thing? You really couldn't ask your neighbor to turn the music down just because they're bigger than you?

Our society is lost if we can't have an expectation of dealing with each other without injury. Your 'land of make believe' is my reality. When this type of behavior reaches enough neighborhoods that a polite society is seen as a fairy tale by the majority of people, I'd expect there will be a tipping point in this country.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:07 AM

3,100 posts, read 2,046,940 times
The deterioration of society continues but to come here and find posters defending the perp is a new low.

It was an unprovoked, premeditated physical assault and potentially life threatening for a frail-looking 68 year old woman. Not unlike the knock out game. I suppose the knock out victims should have known not to be walking in public.

It was an attack on the dogs too, by the way. Too bad they weren't big enough to defend themselves.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:15 AM

3,100 posts, read 2,046,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Your point is not invalid, but this wasn't like she was trying to stop a Ferguson-type mob. This was a group of teenagers having a party. I'd be interested in seeing how many of us feel unsafe around a large group of kids. Seriously, have we reached a point in our society where we have to call the cops for every damned thing? You really couldn't ask your neighbor to turn the music down just because they're bigger than you?

Our society is lost if we can't have an expectation of dealing with each other without injury. Your 'land of make believe' is my reality. When this type of behavior reaches enough neighborhoods that a polite society is seen as a fairy tale by the majority of people, I'd expect there will be a tipping point in this country.

Yes. Our society is being conditioned to accept intolerant behavior and violence. The conditioning is working too well.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:18 AM

50,158 posts, read 46,820,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
We can live in the land of make believe with "shouldn't" or step in to reality with, as another stated, if the teens are having an out of control unauthorized pool party, what on earth makes anyone think that they are going to listen to a lone individual telling them to turn down their music?

If my next door neighbor is blasting his music every damn weekend while a bunch of his friends are over...all of them far bigger than I am...I would be an idiot to go over there and demand he turn his music down. What on earth positive will come from that? Nothing. Because there are more of them, because they are bigger than me, because the situation can turn ugly, I don't go over there. I call the police. I let the police handle it.

If she has such health problems or couldn't swim, or whatever else people want to come up with, then what I said is correct: She should not have gone there. She was not equipped to handle the situation. She should have called the police and let them handle it. That's why they are there: To serve and to protect. Had she called the police instead of thinking she was going to take on a large crowd of unruly teens, no one would have even heard about this pool party.

And again, since some cannot comprehend what they read: That does not mean that the little punk who shoved her in to the pool gets an excuse.
Calling the cops on thugs leads to bad things if they find out who did it.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,657,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
No, you're wrong. It was in a community with an HOA and they were breaking the rules. She was simply asking them to turn down the music because residents were complaining. She wasn't a "control freak." I've seen many parties around a pool in a gated or planned community and even adults who get drunk are asked to leave if their behavior becomes loud and offensive.

I was a teenager once and I still enjoy a good time, but not at the expense of others in my community. Also, you should never pick up anyone you don't know, young or old, and toss that person into a pool. Did you notice he dropped her on the cement first? What if she was on medication or had seizures? I wish people would stop defending bad behavior.
I may not agree with you on other areas of this forum, but I am with you on this 100%.

This is an assault. Being thrown on to a cement can cause head injury or fractures. And if thrown into a pool after that injury, even a moderate swimmer can drown. I almost drowned when I had a shoulder dislocation in the middle of the pool, when I was a beginner swimmer.

A month in the slammer will teach him to treat others with respect.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,657,844 times
Quote:
For the first time ever, I disagree with you. If she's unable to approach this group, the only thing that speaks to is a lack of civility on their part. She shouldn't be intimidated and threatened to the point that she isn't able to make a simple request. Whether they listen to her, ignore her, laugh at her - that's their perogative, but when it comes to the point that a person may be endangered because they dare to make their voice heard, we've crossed a line. And she's not the one who crossed it.
I agree.

Have we become a society that we cannot even approach people to make a request. Do we have to call cops and overburden them for such trivial things. She was within her rights as a board member to approach them

Sometimes I may have had a loud party going on that might have been a bit more decibels more than I realized, or gone on later than it should. I would not have minded my neighbors from approaching me to please tone it down a bit and I would have taken appropriate action and informed my guests accordingly. Much better than cops with flashing lights on the doorway.

Does not matter if the kid is white, black, Hispanic or Asian. He needs to be punished initiating a potentially life threatening situation.

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Speaking as a liberal, I want to see this kid locked away for 10 years.
Speaking as a staunch conservative, that's excessive. He's turned himself in and he appears remorseful. A probationary period is sufficient assuming he doesn't have any serious priors.

26,143 posts, read 19,767,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8
You are all awfully angry.
With all thats happening in this world now I THINK ITS UNDERSTANDABLE WHY WE ARE MAD!!

Old 05-11-2017, 07:43 AM

36,226 posts, read 30,671,050 times
Quote:
Obviously, you're so old you've lost your mind. While I don't think he meant to do harm, your statement is way out of left field. As a board member, if the residents are complaining, she had every right to ask them to lower the volume on the music, and they had no right to lay a hand on her.
I would imagine at her age, that generation, would expect teens to be respectful and definitely never expect them to behave in the manner in which they did. A few generations ago if an elder told a group of kids to do something or cease doing something they would respond with yes sir and comply even if begrudgingly.
Quote:

I want to add, most teens I know, regardless of race, would NOT treat an older woman like this!
Same here. And if this kind of thing did happen those teens would have h*ll to pay by the adults in the community.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:36 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,741,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It was stupid. He needs a slap on the wrist. Teens throw eachother into pools all the time. He forgot the boundaries.

It sure ain't horrifying.
Not only was she elderly and defenseless, she was recovering from a stroke and other health problems. It was worse than horrifying, she could have drowned. Not one lifted a hand to help her and most were laughing. Strange what these ghetto dwellers find funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.