Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Should we then have billed the Obamas for the cost of protecting the Hyde Park area house in Chicago? If not, then why not?
Obama's rarely returned to their Kenwood home, which is far removed from the central business district.

Fed and municipalities are picking up the tab to secure 3 Trump properties and closing air and water space.
SS is billed at market value for space they occupy.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:18 PM

33,074 posts, read 12,328,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Well that is part pf having a Billionaire family in the White House. I am ok with it. Also Washington DC offers parents the option of a Homeschooling Program, also when the Trump family travels to Florida, that State also allows Homeschooling.

It's a WIN WIN for young Barron Trump.

https://osse.dc.gov/homeschool
As if Barron would ever go to a public school. IIRC, the last 'K-12 POTUS child' to go to a DC public school was Amy Carter.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:20 PM

7,179 posts, read 4,744,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Where was all this outrage from the left when Obama spent like a drunken sailor and raised the national debt to the highest its ever been of past presidents combined.
Old news

Old 05-11-2017, 07:21 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,328,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Should we then have billed the Obamas for the cost of protecting the Hyde Park area house in Chicago?

Secret Service policy allows the POTUS to designate a primary residence other than the White House.

If your objection to that is that Trump Tower is more expensive to protect than the main non White House residences of other Presidents..>>>>>>>> Who died and made you the arbiter of Secret Service policy?

Answer: No one.

And I don't believe for a second that any difference in cost is what primarily bothers you.

What truly bothers you is that a single penny of taxpayer's money is spent on Trump because you hate him.
This is an honest question-if SS policy is ONE primary residence other than the White House, is President Trump's Mar-a-lago, or Trump Tower? It seems he really has two-is that legitimate?

Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Obama's rarely returned to their Kenwood home, which is far removed from the central business district.

Fed and municipalities are picking up the tab to secure 3 Trump properties and closing air and water space.
SS is billed at market value for space they occupy.
IIRC, quite a bit of extra money was included in the very recent 'budget agreement' to relieve strain on local governments.

IMO, the amount the SS is spending is irrelevant. Private armchair quarterbacks (we CD members ) don't set SS policy, and the amount various armchair quarterbacks think is okay to spend can be influenced by a number of factors, including personal distaste for a particular POTUS. If anyone thinks there should be a dollar limit, then he/she should attempt to light a proverbial fire under their rep in Congress to propose a limit via legislation.

The properties Trump has utilized so far weren't a secret before the election. The current scenario....not an unlikely scenario with a Trump win. If the current scenario is so bothersome to progressives, then the proper course of action would have been to grill Trump hard about that BEFORE the election. Why didn't that happen?.....The feeling that it wasn't necessary....Blind arrogance that Hillary 'had it in the bag'.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
This is an honest question-if SS policy is ONE primary residence other than the White House, is President Trump's Mar-a-lago, or Trump Tower? It seems he really has two-is that legitimate?
IIRC, the one designated primary residence gets a level of security that is quite a bit above any other residences a POTUS might own. Trump designated his Trump Tower penthouse as the primary, and thus the need for the SS to take over, IIRC, at least two floors in Trump Tower.

When Romney ran in 2012, IIRC, he had four residences....A suburban Boston townhouse, a lake house on Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire, a ski house near Park City in Utah, and a house in La Jolla, CA (San Diego metro area). Romney would have had to pick one of those as a primary non White House residence.....or buy another one and designate that new one (which wouldn't have made much sense )

Old 05-11-2017, 08:27 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,901,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Personally, I think it's helpful to consider that Mr. Trump views his 4 year gig as US President as a "unique, once-in-a-lifetime business opportunity" i.e. his expectation is to self-deal, self-serve, & seek out 'creative' ways to self-benefit or enrich himself. He most likely feels, at the least, he has to recoup the money from the Trump 'University' settlement. He was forced to settle with those American people he defrauded. It's a bit ironic it's straight out of the TU playbook, chapter & verse: How To Use OPM (Other People's Money).

More on his self-dealing:

Lining Trump's Pockets

Trump’s self-dealing runs afoul of the Constitution: President Donald Trump has also got a domestic emoluments clause problem

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...clause-problem

He IS a Constitutional Crisis.

Last edited by ChiGeekGuest; 05-11-2017 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 08:32 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I rather hope Ms. Trump and Barron do move to the White House, if for no other reason than it will (I guess and hope) be the experience of a lifetime for young Barron.

Mind, I doubt that President Trump, even if his wife and youngest son move in, will curtail his golf activities.
Yes it would.
I honestly feel very sorry for the young man. Maybe it's just that it is very hard for me to envision an entire floor of a penthouse suite belonging to one child; hie might love it, but it seems to me that so much empty space with no parents in it would be very lonely.
At the same time, I can't help but wonder if his hovering mother might be smothering the kid. At his age, I was given plenty of independence to roam around our ranch, and by then, I was spending at least as much time with my father as my mother.

And I have a brother and sister, too. My bro is younger, but he and I spent lots of time together. At 10, my sis was still a baby, though. Now, 60 years later, I look back on those years as being a very happy time for me, my family, my friends, and most of the people I knew. They were sure different than the way Barron must be spending his time, and any kid deserves some happiness. I hope he's getting his share.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 PM

35,565 posts, read 20,897,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
We care about this why, exactly?
Taxes.? ... One day I'll babysit the entire house packed to the hilt! Pay me the daily rate.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,421,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Do you think she really wants to move into the White House? That's like slumming for her.
Not enough gold.

She might go if they gold leaf the columns and the pediment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.