Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:06 PM

88,800 posts, read 44,610,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That isn't how it works and you know that.
Actually, it is. A PUBLIC school cannot discriminate based on religion by banning headwear for non-Muslim students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 11:10 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,563,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why is an 8 year old wearing a hijab anyway?!?!?!?!?!?!

Usually they don't start wearing it until puberty.
That is young to be showing signs of puberty, but it's certainly possible. It's not even considered precocious puberty unless the girl is *younger* than 8.

Precocious puberty Overview - Mayo Clinic

In any case, whether or not she was required to wear it, it's not okay to just rip any article of clothing off of a child, or anyone else, for that matter.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:13 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually
If you don't want to quote my example and address it then don't bother.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:15 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,912,843 times
My personal off-the-cuff feelings

1) Laws protecting religious freedoms should be unnecessary.
For example
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuteronomy 22:28-29
28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.
The law, clearly, I hope, shouldn't let the rapist off and force marriage upon the victim.

So, the idea of religious freedom is bull****. Religious freedom doesn't supersede US law.

If a law can be ignored for religious reasons, it's probably not a law worth enforcing for anyone.

2) Teachers tearing the clothing off of students is unacceptable.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
My personal off-the-cuff feelings

1) Laws protecting religious freedoms should be unnecessary.
For example

The law, clearly, I hope, shouldn't let the rapist off and force marriage upon the victim.

So, the idea of religious freedom is bull****. Religious freedom doesn't supersede US law.

If a law can be ignored for religious reasons, it's probably not a law worth enforcing for anyone.

2) Teachers tearing the clothing off of students is unacceptable.
The laws in the books of the Old Testament no longer apply so that wouldn't fly.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:26 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,912,843 times
Quote:
The laws in the books of the Old Testament no longer apply so that wouldn't fly.

A person can't have a religion based on the Old Testament?

Old 05-12-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

A person can't have a religion based on the Old Testament?
If you could prove it's not something you just made up. Ever know of one? (I mean since the Old Testament)

Old 05-13-2017, 03:31 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,077,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are the other kids allowed to wear hats, scarves, etc., in school? If not, then no special treatment for anyone, especially in a PUBLIC school. Separation of church and state, remember?
At my kid's school, in the nineties..No. No scarves, no backbacks, no clothes that could be identified as gang affiliated. And we were in suburbia.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
If you don't want to quote my example and address it then don't bother.
Your example doesn't negate the fact that a PUBLIC school CANNOT discriminate against students for not being a certain religion.

Remember when there was a complaint that Muslim students were given a "prayer room" in a public school? That school had to open the use of that room to ALL students, not just Muslims, or face charges of religion-based discrimination.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
At my kid's school, in the nineties..No. No scarves, no backbacks, no clothes that could be identified as gang affiliated. And we were in suburbia.
My kids' schools had those rules, as well. No headwear of any kind allowed in class: No hats, scarves, bandanas, headbands, etc. Chicago suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies