Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 05:46 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times

Advertisements

Just because those on the left hate Trump doesn't mean he's doing anything right.

Anyone who voted for him should be hanging their heads in shame. And I thought Bush Jr was an idiot/embarrassment.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:49 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGonnaHappen View Post
WHO was under the impression Trump was a conservative? I voted for the man BECAUSE he was NOT a conservative! Because he at one time praised universal health care,because he spoke of AMERICA first not foreign nations,because he was for FAIR trade not FREE trade....NO "conservative" talks about the things he does they are all a bunch of jokes,they lie to get elected. Trump has done EXACTLY what he said he was going to do and man has it been a wonderful change!
Only in America could what you just described be considered "not conservative."

For what it's worth, I agree, Trump is not a conservative. He's mostly apolitical. And despite what some may thing, that is not a good thing.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:50 PM

313 posts, read 152,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Right - but he did run as a Republican. So, one would expect he would be a "conservative", yes?

Then again, the Republican party, and conservatism in general, is certainly changing.
It was either run as republican or run as democrat and he saw it easier to run as a republican. I do hope the republican part is changing....towards populism since the democrats IMO and obviously by last years results have shown have abandoned the working class. The GOP needs to seize this new wave of voters and keep them in the GOP by embracing Trumpism!

Old 05-12-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Only in America could what you just described be considered "not conservative."

For what it's worth, I agree, Trump is not a conservative. He's mostly apolitical. And despite what some may thing, that is not a good thing.
Unfortunately I agree. Trump is a RARE man in the GOP...most GOP politicians DO NOT believe in what he does....so what would you call the rest of the GOP?

Old 05-12-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Just because those on the left hate Trump doesn't mean he's doing anything right.

Anyone who voted for him should be hanging their heads in shame. And I thought Bush Jr was an idiot/embarrassment.
He's doing what he said....why should we that voted for him feel shame? The ONLY thing I disagree with him on is his foreign policy so far. I am proud I voted for him. It kept a criminal psychopath OUT of the white house and it changed the way the GOP is headed hopefully for GOOD!

Old 05-12-2017, 05:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
It was either run as republican or run as democrat and he saw it easier to run as a republican. I do hope the republican part is changing....towards populism since the democrats IMO and obviously by last years results have shown have abandoned the working class. The GOP needs to seize this new wave of voters and keep them in the GOP by embracing Trumpism!

But what is Trumpism when his positions are constantly changing? I don't mean that in a condescending way - I'm genuinely serious. I really don't know what his true positions on many issues are since he is kind of all over the place.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:55 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It's in the thread title because that's what this is about: anti-anti-Trumpism.

And, like I said above, I've never seen this on the left (or on the right in the past) to the extent that we're seeing it now from some Trump supporters. I find that to be a false equivalency - they do not feel the same to me. Obama supporters were not like this. Nor were Bush or Clinton supporters.

This is an entirely new paradigm. And the President is helping embolden the movement by subscribing to this kind of fringe/conspiracy thinking himself. That is VERY unique.

Sure, some liberals might be to blame for helping create the environment for this movement to exist - but that doesn't make the movement any better.
Oh yes, there were Obama supporters this way. To some of them, he could do no wrong, and any criticism of him by anyone on the political right must be borne of racism. And to some Conservatives, Obama could do nothing right, no matter what he did, they wouldn't give him credit for anything. They'd criticize him no matter what. See? Both sides.

And just as many Conservatives are anti-anti-Trump and all they care about is making liberals cry, many Liberals are anti-Trump in that he can do no right, whatever he does. If Trump went down in a basement tomorrow and discovered the cure for cancer, some of the headlines would read "Trump Puts Doctors Out Of Work".... There are people on the Left who hate Trump so much that they hope his eggs taste bad in the morning.

As to this being a new thing, well, maybe it is. We are more politically divided as a country then ever. We don't just disagree with each other in good faith anymore, we downright hate each other, so maybe that's why it wasn't this way in the Clinton / Bush era's and beyond. Do you remember after 9/11, how we all kind of came together for awhile and politics, right or left, didn't matter? Do you think the same kind of coming-together could ever happen again in this country? I don't.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
He's doing what he said....why should we that voted for him feel shame? The ONLY thing I disagree with him on is his foreign policy so far. I am proud I voted for him. It kept a criminal psychopath OUT of the white house and it changed the way the GOP is headed hopefully for GOOD!
If you studied politics, you'd feel shame for what you're supporting.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:59 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
It kept a criminal psychopath OUT of the white house
You need to brush up on criminals and psychopaths. You might want to throw in a little bit of study in on narcissists, megalomaniacs and pathological liars while your at it.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Oh yes, there were Obama supporters this way. To some of them, he could do no wrong, and any criticism of him by anyone on the political right must be borne of racism. And to some Conservatives, Obama could do nothing right, no matter what he did, they wouldn't give him credit for anything. They'd criticize him no matter what. See? Both sides.
Do you think those supporters were in as large of numbers as what we're seeing here with the anti-anti-Trump movement? And did Obama utilize the same kind of rhetoric and subscribe to the same kind of thinking as those people? To me it's the subscription to this kind of thinking by the actual President that makes it very distinct to me.

I guess I should have been specific - I meant that the two movements "pro-Obama" and "anti-anti-Trump" feel very different to me. There's something larger at play here.

Quote:
And just as many Conservatives are anti-anti-Trump and all they care about is making liberals cry, many Liberals are anti-Trump in that he can do no right, whatever he does. If Trump went down in a basement tomorrow and discovered the cure for cancer, some of the headlines would read "Trump Puts Doctors Out Of Work".... There are people on the Left who hate Trump so much that they hope his eggs taste bad in the morning.
Sure - there is that component there. There are plenty of people that hate Trump regardless of what he would do.

Quote:
As to this being a new thing, well, maybe it is. We are more politically divided as a country then ever. We don't just disagree with each other in good faith anymore, we downright hate each other, so maybe that's why it wasn't this way in the Clinton / Bush era's and beyond. Do you remember after 9/11, how we all kind of came together for awhile and politics, right or left, didn't matter? Do you think the same kind of coming-together could ever happen again in this country? I don't.
I do wish we could find more common ground, more often. Compromise is a word I haven't heard in politics in a long time. We need to add it to our political vocabulary. That goes for all politicians regardless of political party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies