Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:23 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,952,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The whole state, including NYC, is 50th of the 50 states in per capita income after cost of living is factored in. Most of the people in NY state live in and around NYC so they are the predominant factor in making NY the poorest state....the truth is told as it was from the beginning of the thread. I know upstate is also poor.
Cost of living isnt "factored in".

Housing isnt a cost. Its an investment. Live 30 years in NY with a $1m home equity and $120k salary or some poor red state where you cant build home equity and wages are much lower (which means you pay less into SS and less money to invest).

You're just clutching at straws trying to defend poor red states. Which poor state is your favorite? Alabama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:28 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,492,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
NOPE. Can you not read YOUR OWN LINK?
Apparently not.

"...The census figures released on Tuesday showed that New York State’s population grew by 2.19 percent to 19,421,055, not enough to keep pace with population growth in the South and the West...

It's NOT that NY's and NYC's population are not growing. It's just that they are not growing AS FAST as the South and West. It IS true that upper NY state lost population but the growth in the population of NYC itself MORE than offset that population shrinkage in the more rural parts of the state.

So NO it's NOT true that "MORE people are moving OUT than IN".

Ken
I left NY. There isn't enough money in the world to get me to go back.

Ahh property taxes are a third of what I used to pay.
No state income taxes.
Property taxes include garbage collection.
Streets are smooth as glass.
Guns are legal.
Year round T shirt and shorts.
250k buys a mini mansion built within the last 10 years opposed to a falling down dump needing roof and foundation work and 5-10k in property tax.
Fireworks are legal. Legitimate fireworks too. None of that wimp sparklers and small sparkly fountains. Mortars, block busters, the good stuff. Bottle rockets on painters dowels about 4 inches around and a foot long shoot up into the clouds.
Can ride a motorcycle without a helmet
Don't need cats or mufflers
Local news always entertains with Florida man's antics... no doom and gloom from channel 6 and 13 about heroin OD, crime in Arbor hill Schenectady Troy Albany. Or Cuomo raising taxes again or banning something else in the name of our protection...
Trump visits on the weekends

Hurricanes.
Alligators.
Florida man.
Palmetto bugs.
Miserable old retirees.
Non drivers.
No places to ride quads and dirt bikes though.

Fair trade. More than fair trade.

If things change I'm going to Texas.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

Housing isnt a cost. Its an investment. Live 30 years in NY with a $1m home equity and $120k salary or some poor red state where you cant build home equity and wages are much lower (which means you pay less into SS and less money to invest).

You're just clutching at straws trying to defend poor red states. Which poor state is your favorite? Alabama?
LOL

You haven't lived in NY have you? That million dollar home pfft, going to need expensive repairs every 15-30 years like clock work... especially if you don't have French drains and good gutters, go on your roof every time you get 3 feet of snow to clean it off... unless you build your roof the way I did...

Home ownership is a cost in NY. I know, I owned and renovated one.

Oh flaw in your equity theory.
Town assesses your property value and grossly assesses it and sucks more money in property tax out. Especially if you live near a body of water like I did... 50k dollar 1100 sqft bungalow had ano assessment of 255k on .31 acre. Pfft okay... keep dreaming. Fought long and smart with the town on that. Got that tax bill dropped.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL

You haven't lived in NY have you? That million dollar home pfft, going to need expensive repairs every 15-30 years like clock work... especially if you don't have French drains and good gutters, go on your roof every time you get 3 feet of snow to clean it off... unless you build your roof the way I did...

Home ownership is a cost in NY. I know, I owned and renovated one.

Oh flaw in your equity theory.
Town assesses your property value and grossly assesses it and sucks more money in property tax out. Especially if you live near a body of water like I did... 50k dollar 1100 sqft bungalow had ano assessment of 255k on .31 acre. Pfft okay... keep dreaming. Fought long and smart with the town on that. Got that tax bill dropped.
You're just ranting at this point.

You dont build home equity in states with low property values.

Housing is an investment. People who retire after living 40 years in Alabama and West Virginia have hardly paid into SS, have no home equity and hardly any investments as their salary in their working years was too low. Thats the "low wages, low cost of living" in reality. Its just a way to glorify poverty.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:46 PM

As for investing PCAL here let this sink in...

I can buy a few condos in my area for 80-120.
I can lease them to snowbirds with the option to buy.

Talk all the chit you want about the red south states... nobody goes to NY to retire...

Old 05-15-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
As for investing PCAL here let this sink in...

I can buy a few condos in my area for 80-120.
I can lease them to snowbirds with the option to buy.

Talk all the chit you want about the red south states... nobody goes to NY to retire...
Yeah, because people in Alabama and other red states cant afford to retire anywhere else because they wont get much for their house and they have barely paid into SS in their low wage/low cost of living area. People from rich states can retire where they want because they have had the opportunity to build wealth in a rich state.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Housing is an investment. People who retire after living 40 years in Alabama and West Virginia have hardly paid into SS, have no home equity and hardly any investments as their salary in their working years was too low. Thats the "low wages, low cost of living" in reality. Its just a way to glorify poverty.
LOL ok try getting a million for a house with a roof that leaked mold in the attic and foundation collapsing. Let me know how well that goes, homes in NY depreciate when not maintained... Oh and having to either buy a truck and a plow or pay someone 20-50 per storm to plow your driveway...

You've looked down on me before as a working stiff... Well this working stiff lived in NY and hustled fools like you who couldn't be bothered to do any manual labor... lived just as good if not better than them too...

LOL social security is a fraud. I paid close to 5k in this year myself... I could have used 408 per month extra to pay off a loan... or buy 2 shares per month...

Social "Security" LOL

Old 05-15-2017, 09:57 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,239,689 times
Quote:

That is an idiotic statement and generalization. I know many wealthy people in Alabama who paid the maximum in SS, have home equity, investments, and salary was high.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,313,993 times
Quote:
LOL ok try getting a million for a house with a roof that leaked mold in the attic and foundation collapsing. Let me know how well that goes, homes in NY depreciate when not maintained... Oh and having to either buy a truck and a plow or pay someone 20-50 per storm to plow your driveway...

You've looked down on me before as a working stiff... Well this working stiff lived in NY and hustled fools like you who couldn't be bothered to do any manual labor... lived just as good if not better than them too...

LOL social security is a fraud. I paid close to 5k in this year myself... I could have used 408 per month extra to pay off a loan... or buy 2 shares per month...

Social "Security" LOL
Gee I don't get it.
That Social Security "fraud" pays me every single month. That's a pretty nice "fraud".

And what? You don't think homes depreciate if not maintained where you live now? Boy, that must be some magical place.

Home maintenance is a fact of life for a home owner, so what?

Ken

Old 05-16-2017, 12:51 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,239,689 times
Quote:

Cost of living is factored in, did you read the article?

Your comment regarding home equity growth and wages paid in etc. is relevant for people that are able to buy and take advantage of that but as a former New Yorker mentioned, you are also paying exorbitant property taxes to get that future potential equity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies