Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Upstate NY and Rural PA have gotten worse and worse as they continue to vote more and more republican!

OP needs to tell the truth here.
They are voting more and more Republican because they're getting worse dues to high taxes, regulations etc brought on by liberal Albany legislators, liberal NYC voters and liberal Governer Cuomo's policies.

Local officials in smaller upstate cities and rural towns actually have very little influence or control over the state's economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 10:10 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And Seattle is very LIBERAL. So much for your claim that Liberal parts of the country somehow produce a lower standard of living.

If you are trying to argue that Liberal areas produce a lower standard of living, it's pretty dumb to be using SEATTLE as a comparison to NYC since BOTH are LIBERAL areas.
Geeze!

Ken
Good, somebody is paying attention. The point of comparison is that Seattle has a higher standard of living than does NYC but it was not to contrast their political affiliation as both are about equally Democrat.

Doesn't change the fact that NY state is 50th in average income after cost of living is factored in. My point is/was the 4 poorest states after factoring cost are all Democrat states which refutes the oft stated Media point that the poorest states are red states.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
They are voting more and more Republican because they're getting worse dues to high taxes, regulations etc brought on by liberal NYC, Governer Cuomo's policies.

Local officials in smaller upstate cities and rural towns actually have very little influence or control over the state's economy.
Yep, that's why upstate NY and rural Pennsylvania voted heavily Republican.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Then don't live in NY.

Problem solved.
But not relevant to the point of the thread...whether New Yorkers were okay being the poorest state after factoring cost of living.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The problem with this type of system is that your savings does not care about cost of living. $100k in savings in New York is still worth twice as much as $50k in savings in Minnesota.
You gut out the high cost of living, earn a high salary, and sock away savings in New York, then move to a low cost of living and low tax state.
Potentially correct as long as you're able to have similar or better savings living in a high cost area but that's tough in New York.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
People in New York are apparently okay with it otherwise they would move. Dang...those folks in Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Kentucky are livin' high on the hog. Lets all move there!
Many are moving away from New York which is why the population growth over 60 years is paltry. I wouldn't characterize Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Kentucky are livin' high on the hog but still better than New York.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is one of those threads where you just shake your head at the OP and keep it moving.
Thanks for posting...keep that wonderful lack of analysis going.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:22 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is one of those threads where you just shake your head at the OP and keep it moving.
No kidding. And if this dude found a study that showed a blue state that had low cost of living and low real estate prices he would be would be going on and on about how it demonstrates that "nobody wants to live in said blue state" because of liberal policies blah, blah, blah.

What's funny is that there are at least 10 red states (including my own) that liberals make this exact point.
(nobody wants to live here because of conservative politics). But probably the ONLY blue state that you can use this tactic with is New Mexico.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The average square footage listing price in Buffalo is $49.
I don't care.

the average square footage price in Manhattan is $ 1,759.
I don't care except it's a big reason why my thread is correct.

Most who work in Manhatten do not live in Manhattan.
I know but don't care.

Many who own in Manhattan, especially at the higher end, do not live full time in Manhattan.
I know and don't care.

The population of Seattle is about 609,000. The population of NYC is about 8.5 million. NYC has more of everything.

I know but the fact remains that Seattle has a better average income and is much less expensive.

Well if you don't care, why did you start this thread?

Those lower COL states you listed like Nebraska and Iowa, well than you have to live there.

I'm guessing you haven't even visited NY.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
No kidding. And if this dude found a study that showed a blue state that had low cost of living and low real estate prices he would be would be going on and on about how it demonstrates that "nobody wants to live in said blue state" because of liberal policies blah, blah, blah.

What's funny is that there are at least 10 red states (including my own) that liberals make this exact point.
(nobody wants to live here because of conservative politics). But probably the ONLY blue state that you can use this tactic with is New Mexico.
The 15 states that have a double digit % below the national average in cost of living all voted for Trump. Michigan was one of those states but they voted Republican this time. Your making up what I might have said and thought is highly speculative and I would have only said it if I thought it was true....unlike liberals, I don't make wild claims if I don't actually believe them and have a basis for that belief.

Do you really think nobody want to live in Okie because it's a Republican state...that's the only reason (LOL)? Oklahoma is 20th in population growth since 2010 so not too bad for a state nobody want to move to....must be related to the fact that 8 of the 10 fastest growing states voted for Trump.

What is obvious to me is that i'm using facts and logic and once again, liberals base everything on their feelings and skip the facts and logic...guess that will always be so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies